• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Agreed I like Winks but that's 2 injuries in 2 seasons for an upcoming player who we don't know if he's really good enough to start week in week out for a title chasing side. He's obviously looked promising but 2 half seasons is all we have to judge on and I wouldn't be comfortable relying on him for a full season next season.

Wanyana hasn't looked fit all season, can't remember if he missed pre season or not but he never got up to full speed. He's been good for a no of years now so hopefully it's just a blip and can get back on it next season.

Dier is solid and consistent and will obviously stay, his positioning does worry me a bit and his passing hasn't improved much this season but he's someone we can rely on and generally doesn't miss many games.

Dembele again fantastic player and should be kept, great for youngsters to learn off and even if he can only play 25-30 games next season it would still be worth it. He only has a year left on his contract so we'll have to see what he wants to do.

Sissoko, nothing to add here. OK squad player and does at least work hard and is slightly different to our other options but he'll never be first choice and the fans will never warm to him.

Sissoko doesn't suit us, he likes to drive into space that we are never afforded unless we are playing a top 6 rival and then its rare he takes part anyway. Not his fault at all and his confidence from day one has hindered him but he is better off elsewhere.

Dier has been imo nowhere near to his form of 2015/16 in either of the last two seasons but I wouldn't get rid of him unless he wanted away. Needs to cut out this inconsistent stop start element in his performances and also shouldn't be played at the back or considered anything other than an emergency option for CB not used as part of the quota.

Dembele should stay but we seriously need to be looking for a successor.

Wanyama has just had a disrupted season, got injured in pre season, came back too early and was far off the pace against Chelsea at Wembley and got injured again and we didn't see him for months. Needs a good pre season and can go again.

Out would be: Sissoko, Lamela, Janssen, Llorente through choice and if they are really agitating to go then I guess Rose and Alderweireld too. If those 6 were to go or even the first 4, that's a lot of wages to free up and a boost to the transfer kitty

Sissoko doesn't suit us, he likes to drive into space that we are never afforded unless we are playing a top 6 rival and then its rare he takes part anyway. Not his fault at all and his confidence from day one has hindered him but he is better off elsewhere.

Dier has been imo nowhere near to his form of 2015/16 in either of the last two seasons but I wouldn't get rid of him unless he wanted away. Needs to cut out this inconsistent stop start element in his performances and also shouldn't be played at the back or considered anything other than an emergency option for CB not used as part of the quota.

Dembele should stay but we seriously need to be looking for a successor.

Wanyama has just had a disrupted season, got injured in pre season, came back too early and was far off the pace against Chelsea at Wembley and got injured again and we didn't see him for months. Needs a good pre season and can go again.

Out would be: Sissoko, Lamela, Janssen, Llorente through choice and if they are really agitating to go then I guess Rose and Alderweireld too. If those 6 were to go or even the first 4, that's a lot of wages to free up and a boost to the transfer kitty

You forgot to add a Kevin to that list too... pointless keeping him around

Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea all ready to battle it out for Wilfried Zaha
Only Manchester United, who Zaha has already played for, are not keeping tabs on his situation at Selhurst Park
By
Adrian KajumbaFootball Reporter
  • 08:23, 11 MAY 2018

Wilfried Zaha could have his pick of the Premier League’s big boys this summer - with five of the top six circling the influential forward

Only Manchester United, who Zaha has already played for, are not keeping tabs on his situation at Selhurst Park.

Tottenham are poised to make a fresh move for Zaha this summer after having two bids knocked back in 2016 and Champions League finalists Liverpool have joined the list of admirers.

Zaha, 25, is the next target on champions Emirates Marketing Project's list if they are again unable to strike a deal with Leicester for Riyad Mahrez.

His home-grown status has increased Zaha's appeal to City.

And Chelsea and Arsenal have both monitored Zaha too but need to resolve their managerial situations first before deciding whether to firm up their interest.

Zaha said last week that he doesn't see himself anywhere other than Palace but also wouldn't be put off joining one of the league's elite if the chance came around to test himself at a higher level again despite his disappointing experience at Old Trafford.

Palace have no desire to sell their player of the year and talisman Zaha whose current contract runs until 2022.
And former Selhurst Park chairman Simon Jordan reckons they shouldn't entertain any interest unless they receive offers near the £70m mark.

He said: “I think Wilfried Zaha is a £50million to £70million player in this market place. If you put him in a side that has some real balance and poise about it, you’d only get more from him.

“I think £50m would be the lowest he should go for. I think he’ll go for nearer £70m, and I got universally rounded upon as living in Narnia when I said that last week.

"I don’t think Palace have any desire to sell him.

"They’ve got American owners who have seen the abyss over the last couple of seasons, so they’re not going to let the jewel of their crown go snapping unless someone is going to break their arm off at the wrist financially.”

Can anybody see Levy forking out 50-70m for any player this summer?

I cant.

Unfortunately, No. I think we will follow the same script as recent years. If they were to get rid of the batch of players I mentioned they should concentrate on buying 3-4 top class players with no big gambles and bargains like N'koudou/Llorente taking up wages and transfer fees. Still, if the chairman fully backs the manager and makes some big signings then you can't complain once the season kicks off, he will have done his bit.

I can. We matched the then level of price inflation with no fuss, and went above our record spend by some way, when we splurged on a promising young centre back in Davinson Sanchez.

If Poch decides that the priority is (say) a long term Dembele replacement and alternative to Winks, and the going rate is £60m, then I wouldn't be surprised at all if we spent that.

I cant.

I can.

I think will make the same sort of moves we generally do - look for some speculative/potential buys.

But I also think the team (and market) has evolved as such that it will take £50-70m purchases to actually strengthen the first 11.

We will likely fund it mostly through sales, like always, but I can certainly see us spending in that bracket.

We put £40m on Sanchez, a young, rookie defender. Why not a little more on someone who will improve our front line?

I cant.

Depends on what we recoup

Last summer we spent £70m on Sanchez and Aurier because we got £70m for Walker and Wimmer

If we get £80m for Alder and Rose, we can spend £80m on Maguire and Sessegnon etc.

Depends on what we recoup

Last summer we spent £70m on Sanchez and Aurier because we got £70m for Walker and Wimmer

If we get £80m for Alder and Rose, we can spend £80m on Maguire and Sessegnon etc.

I don't think we'll get either of those targets GB. Maguire only arrived at Leicester this season, they don't need to sell (see mahrez) and would therefore ask for silly money and frankly he's not worth that kind of investment. Sessegnon will likely stay if Fulham get promoted, if not he has a lot of suitors ready to pounce and I fear we'd be priced out of any purchase sadly, we should have done this in the last window if it was an option.

I can.

I think will make the same sort of moves we generally do - look for some speculative/potential buys.

But I also think the team (and market) has evolved as such that it will take £50-70m purchases to actually strengthen the first 11.

We will likely fund it mostly through sales, like always, but I can certainly see us spending in that bracket.

We put £40m on Sanchez, a young, rookie defender. Why not a little more on someone who will improve our front line?
Agree. But if we are going into a transfer battle for Zaha with City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool I dont see us coming out on top ....

I don't think we'll get either of those targets GB. Maguire only arrived at Leicester this season, they don't need to sell (see mahrez) and would therefore ask for silly money and frankly he's not worth that kind of investment. Sessegnon will likely stay if Fulham get promoted, if not he has a lot of suitors ready to pounce and I fear we'd be priced out of any purchase sadly, we should have done this in the last window if it was an option.

But we're in the driving seat - we just don't sell Alder or Rose till we get players in as good as them.

We really need to focus on homegrown players this window, as we are already one overseas one too many. Maguire is a bit of a stretch perhaps (Lascalles maybe a decent alternative?), but we've been pursuing Sessegnon for years and I've a feeling that might already be in the bag.

Middlesborough will Pullis their way to promotion. Fulham are in the worst position of the 4 teams - losing out on second and losing their momentum. I can see Derby beating them

Agree. But if we are going into a transfer battle for Zaha with City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool I dont see us coming out on top ....

Neither do I, doesnt mean we wont get him though.

Could be we get in quick before everyone else and avoid the battle altogether.

There is a lot going for us, but yes - a straight challenge with City wont go our way...

Neither do I, doesnt mean we wont get him though.

Could be we get in quick before everyone else and avoid the battle altogether.

There is a lot going for us, but yes - a straight challenge with City wont go our way...
Thing is how is that even possible nowadays? (to get in there before anyone else). Zahas agent will know hes well sought after and soon as he hears of our interest he would surely contact the other clubs to let them know, as he will know they are likely to offer more....

Thing is how is that even possible nowadays? (to get in there before anyone else). Zahas agent will know hes well sought after and soon as he hears of our interest he would surely contact the other clubs to let them know, as he will know they are likely to offer more....

We have a long standing interest, with him (allegedly) keen to join in the past.

Could be we have a deal in the works as we speak, having sold him on the move already.

There are many reasons he might go for it, its not always just money.

We can offer a very good deal here and now, maybe he goes for it before other clubs firm up any interest?

We have a long standing interest, with him (allegedly) keen to join in the past.

Could be we have a deal in the works as we speak, having sold him on the move already.

There are many reasons he might go for it, its not always just money.

We can offer a very good deal here and now, maybe he goes for it before other clubs firm up any interest?
True, and maybe his Man U experience will make him think twice.

Hes one I really want us to get, would hate for him to go any other of the big teams because he'd strengthen them all.....

Back