• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

We need two quality midfielders minimum next season which I cannot see happening.

Wanyama is broken?
Sissoko
Winks we cannot go into next season relying on him?
Dembele is too fragile and cannot surely be relied on.
Deir is our only fit and "competent" midfielder.

Not good.

Why can’t we rely on winks?
Poor bloke has had an injury and all players get them?
Agree Dembele now is teetering in the edge
Wanyama needs fixing but the beast is still within
Dier is more than fine and it’s amszing how other clubs rate him more than we do...

So that 3 for me.
Maybe, just maybe Onomah May have a summer change like Kane did 4 years ago and come back a man

Wanyama and Winks should be fine after no world cups and a decent pre-season. Dembele is the question mark, but the fitness team will know where exactly he's at

We've also got Onomah coming back, plus Oakley-Boothe and Skipp (pretty much the two most highly rated players in the academy) coming through there

We cannot go into next season with so many unfit or untried first team players. Academy and reserve team players maybe OK but I'm not convinced they are ready for a top four PL side.
We made it to the CL for the the third time in a row last night, but still we think like a mid table side when we attempt rationalise out replacement needs.
We ran out of legs last night and got away with it, largely due grit determination which is great.

We cannot go into next season with so many unfit or untried first team players. Academy and reserve team players maybe OK but I'm not convinced they are ready for a top four PL side.
We made it to the CL for the the third time in a row last night, but still we think like a mid table side when we attempt rationalise out replacement needs.
We ran out of legs last night and got away with it, largely due grit determination which is great.

I would be fine with replacing Dembele with someone like Kovacic or Loftus-Cheek, but Dier, Wanyama, Winks + one other senior player (Dembele or other) is ample.

Why can’t we rely on winks?
Poor bloke has had an injury and all players get them?
Agree Dembele now is teetering in the edge
Wanyama needs fixing but the beast is still within
Dier is more than fine and it’s amszing how other clubs rate him more than we do...

So that 3 for me.
Maybe, just maybe Onomah May have a summer change like Kane did 4 years ago and come back a man

Winks hasn't played since November, about 6 months. I will be 9 when the seasons starts, I rate and like the lad. But it will be a lot of pressure on a 22 y.o.
Wanyama has had a poor season by his standards and has never looked properly fit. Was being talked about in the breath as Sissoko last night, not good.
Dembele too many unknowns fitness wise.

Dier is comfortable at Spurs.

As for reserves etc......impossible to say.

Sissoko gets a game in our current midfield, that is damning indictment of our current plight.

That midfield 'display' last night was frightening looking forward. All I kept thinking last night was 'what about next season'........

Last edited:
I would be fine with replacing Dembele with someone like Kovacic or Loftus-Cheek, but Dier, Wanyama, Winks + one other senior player (Dembele or other) is ample.

Winks is an unknown until he gets playing again. Love the lad so fingers crossed!
Dembele and Wanyama are suspect at any given time.

So it's Dier and Sissoko as our fit midfield going forward.

We need at least two quality addition in this area.

We need to sort out the futures of

Rose
Alderwiereld
Wanyama
Dembele

And replace if necessary as a main priority this summer imo

Attack is pretty well stocked, Llorente out and someone like Zaha in would suit me, not fussed with natural Kane cover and would hazard a guess were Kane not as good as he is we'd be playing with a front 3/a false 9 were he not here.

Winks is an unknown until he gets playing again. Love the lad so fingers crossed!
Dembele and Wanyama are suspect at any given time.

So it's Dier and Sissoko as our fit midfield going forward.

I don't get writing off Wanyama. He's had one injury and has been a bit slow getting back up to speed. Basically the same situation as Kane, except Kane doesn't have a Dier to keep him on the bench

Rose
Alderwiereld
Wanyama
Dembele

Attack is pretty well stocked, Llorente out and someone like Zaha in would suit me, not fussed with natural Kane cover and would hazard a guess were Kane not as good as he is we'd be playing with a front 3/a false 9 were he not here.
I'd like to keep all 4 of those. All great players imo

I don't get writing off Wanyama. He's had one injury and has been a bit slow getting back up to speed. Basically the same situation as Kane, except Kane doesn't have a Dier to keep him on the bench

We might just stand a chance of getting a Wanyama replacement, Kane forget it! Hyaline cartilage injuries according my physio are 'a bitch' 12 months or more minimum recovery wise for a non athlete. He had an operation so who knows she also said but "not good".

Wanyama is not "written off" as you emotionally put it, nor is Winks or Dembele. But as we all sit here today they have questions to there ongoing fitness and thus competence to be in our midfield going forward. Yes they could all recover and have a new great season (fingers crossed). I work on the old adage - hope for the best prepare for the worse.

Dier is a plodder, a great lad but a plodder nevertheless.

Rose
Alderwiereld
Wanyama
Dembele

I'd like us to retain all 4 if possible, but I don't think it'll happen.

Rose - Gone off the boil a bit, missing the dynamism of last season so I'm hoping interest from elsewhere might have waned. When at his best there are few better in his position.
Alderweireld - Huge talent but doesn't want to be here IMO; doesn't want to wait for the medals he deserves and, by implication, doesn't think they are just round the corner for Spurs. Already history AFAIC (sad to say).
Wanyama - Fantastic player when on-song, which he obviously isn't ATM. Hopefully just needs a good spell of R&R.
Dembele - Possibly unique and a one-man engine room when fit. In the autumn of his career now maybe, but with the right rotation, still has a lot more to give IMO.

At a minimum, then, I'd say we need a replacement for TA and a rotation option for MD.

Last edited:
Dier/Wanyama
Demeble/Onomah
Winks/Modric
Dele/Eriksen can also fill in too.
Sorted at CM ;). Sissoko really is not good enough even with his improvements this year.

There was and still is lots of talk of Andre Gomes from Barcelona and reports are that Barcelona are willing to sell now, so he could be one new midfield addition. He did well at Valencia, just lack of opportunities with Barcelona has stunted his development, good box to box midfielder.

Watching him last night I found myself looking up the website for Dignitas on my Ipad!

I looked up Pochettino's remarks on the win over Saudi Sportswashing Machine. He was quite generous toward Sissoko:

“I am so proud about all the players because today for me one of the best was Moussa Sissoko. I want to say thank you for how professional he was all season. Not too many people recognise him but I think he was fantastic today.

“Players like Wanyama who haven’t played too much, they were injured and today when you need to win they were there on the pitch giving their best. When we talk about the squad and how important it is in the season to respect them and treat them in the right way and today they were present and they played so well and they are part of the success of the team to finish in the top four for the third consecutive time.”

I'll be the first to agree that yesterday wasn't the finest hour for Sissoko, Wanyama or Spurs in general.

But Wanyama is apparently nursing a sore hamstring. Pairing a less-than-fit defensive midfielder with another DM was hardly ever going to produce champagne football. But Pochettino's assessment is noteworthy. He's respecting the pair for either working diligently all season to be ready for any opportunity to play or for gutting it out while nursing an injury.

We're harsh on Sissoko when he's asked to take on tasks he's not suited to. Yes, we do need to look at fresh options for midfield. But, maybe pull the nail out of the cudgel before beating on him again. There's a bigger picture here that doesn't always present itself to the average fan.

I looked up Pochettino's remarks on the win over Saudi Sportswashing Machine. He was quite generous toward Sissoko:

“I am so proud about all the players because today for me one of the best was Moussa Sissoko. I want to say thank you for how professional he was all season. Not too many people recognise him but I think he was fantastic today.

“Players like Wanyama who haven’t played too much, they were injured and today when you need to win they were there on the pitch giving their best. When we talk about the squad and how important it is in the season to respect them and treat them in the right way and today they were present and they played so well and they are part of the success of the team to finish in the top four for the third consecutive time.”

I'll be the first to agree that yesterday wasn't the finest hour for Sissoko, Wanyama or Spurs in general.

But Wanyama is apparently nursing a sore hamstring. Pairing a less-than-fit defensive midfielder with another DM was hardly ever going to produce champagne football. But Pochettino's assessment is noteworthy. He's respecting the pair for either working diligently all season to be ready for any opportunity to play or for gutting it out while nursing an injury.

We're harsh on Sissoko when he's asked to take on tasks he's not suited to. Yes, we do need to look at fresh options for midfield. But, maybe pull the nail out of the cudgel before beating on him again. There's a bigger picture here that doesn't always present itself to the average fan.

I know where you coming from but I’ve had it with it with lad!
He can’t even do the basics. Like a cross field pass he looks like a rabbit in the headlights!
It’s nothing personal he is just not good enough for a top side!
I now just want him gone!

Swap him for the likes of Kouyate of West Ham any day of the week!

Last edited:
I'll tell you who I'd love to get: N'Golo Kanté. There is no chance Chelski would sell to us, but if we were to push out the boat for someone, that's the player I would want to get in. Fabinho of Monaco would be a good shout and André-Frank Zambo of Marseille is a very highly rated CM and could be gotten for around 25-30 million.

I'll tell you who I'd love to get: N'Golo Kanté. There is no chance Chelski would sell to us, but if we were to push out the boat for someone, that's the player I would want to get in. Fabinho of Monaco would be a good shout and André-Frank Zambo of Marseille is a very highly rated CM and could be gotten for around 25-30 million.

N'Golo Kanté. No brick Sherlock ;)
N'Golo Kanté in a heartbeat :)

We might just stand a chance of getting a Wanyama replacement, Kane forget it! Hyaline cartilage injuries according my physio are 'a bitch' 12 months or more minimum recovery wise for a non athlete. He had an operation so who knows she also said but "not good".

Wanyama is not "written off" as you emotionally put it, nor is Winks or Dembele. But as we all sit here today they have questions to there ongoing fitness and thus competence to be in our midfield going forward. Yes they could all recover and have a new great season (fingers crossed). I work on the old adage - hope for the best prepare for the worse.

Dier is a plodder, a great lad but a plodder nevertheless.

Agreed I like Winks but that's 2 injuries in 2 seasons for an upcoming player who we don't know if he's really good enough to start week in week out for a title chasing side. He's obviously looked promising but 2 half seasons is all we have to judge on and I wouldn't be comfortable relying on him for a full season next season.

Wanyana hasn't looked fit all season, can't remember if he missed pre season or not but he never got up to full speed. He's been good for a no of years now so hopefully it's just a blip and can get back on it next season.

Dier is solid and consistent and will obviously stay, his positioning does worry me a bit and his passing hasn't improved much this season but he's someone we can rely on and generally doesn't miss many games.

Dembele again fantastic player and should be kept, great for youngsters to learn off and even if he can only play 25-30 games next season it would still be worth it. He only has a year left on his contract so we'll have to see what he wants to do.

Sissoko, nothing to add here. OK squad player and does at least work hard and is slightly different to our other options but he'll never be first choice and the fans will never warm to him.

Back