• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad

Probably one for good old traditional scouting rather than stats at this stage tbh though there will be indicators wrt numbers & statistics

Can't we have both?
That's absolutely the way to do it. Statistical profile to add players you might not be aware of or who have slipped through your radar to your analysis pattern. Then actual eye tests to see how they perform.

Slightly digressing but I recall when Liverpool signed Firminho who was relatively unknown at that stage, he had the 2nd best number of successful dribbles that season in the top 5 leagues in Europe. Only behind Messi. So ahead of Hazard, Bale, Iniesta, Ribery, Modric etc, etc. I had seen a little bit of him but he didn't really strike me as incisive dribbler. So when they signed him I paid more attention and I don't think he's much of a progressive dribbler but he was very press resistant being able to keep the ball in very congested spaces, had a trick or two and could definitely beat a man but he was nothing like Messi in terms of real world dribble effectivenes.

So it's just to say that the raw stats alone don't ever paint a full picture. You do need the eye test to put those stats into proper context.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

That's absolutely the way to do it. Statistical profile to add players you might not be aware of or who have slipped through your radar to your analysis pattern. Then actual eye tests to see how they perform.

Slightly digressing but I recall when Liverpool signed Firminho who was relatively unknown at that stage, he had the 2nd best number of successful dribbles that season in the top 5 leagues in Europe. Only behind Messi. So ahead of Hazard, Bale, Iniesta, Ribery, Modric etc, etc. I had seen a little bit of him but he didn't really strike me as incisive dribbler. So when they signed him I paid more attention and I don't think he's much of a progressive dribbler but he was very press resistant being able to keep the ball in very congested spaces, had a trick or two and could definitely beat a man but he was nothing like Messi in terms of real world dribble effectivenes.

So it's just to say that the raw stats alone don't ever paint a full picture. You do need the eye test to put those stats into proper context.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk
The former can drive the latter
I knew about Mane when he was in Austria because his stats were insane (I posted it on here)
I asked my boss about Gift Orban because he plays for his team in Belgium and his stats were what drove the chat. Turned out he was a player I’d seen in Norway too
The stats should drive a could/should we dialogue
And the eye test with other inputs then drive the new part
But the I’m no scout. I do know that when I recruit I always ask someone I know for a reference rather than who they ask us to ask

Not getting ahead of myself here but on paper now, with Bentancur to come back too, the first team on paper is up there now with anything bar City, where we struggle is depth. Come winter we should ideally add some depth at CB and advanced CM then really.

With no real risk of losing anyone to contract etc If we managed to ad depth in winter, even prospects, there is no reason next summer we don't go out and drop the 150/200m we spend annually on 2/3 real high class operators. Next season could be absolutely anything

Not getting ahead of myself here but on paper now, with Bentancur to come back too, the first team on paper is up there now with anything bar City, where we struggle is depth. Come winter we should ideally add some depth at CB and advanced CM then really.

With no real risk of losing anyone to contract etc If we managed to ad depth in winter, even prospects, there is no reason next summer we don't go out and drop the 150/200m we spend annually on 2/3 real high class operators. Next season could be absolutely anything

Another LB option, another CB option, likely some decision re Richi, Veliz and ?

Definitely, I hope we get that new DOF in pronto. Early days but Ange must already have a rough idea of priority positions to upgrade next year. I think CF, back up for Maddison and back up CB are all key.

With Dier, Perisic and Lloris off that must be a good 500K a week off the wage bill and if Ndombele goes that's potentially 700K a week gone. Plenty to get a couple of top players.

I think we should be aiming for CL this year but realistically EL is more likely as we don't have a huge amount of depth.

Definitely, I hope we get that new DOF in pronto. Early days but Ange must already have a rough idea of priority positions to upgrade next year. I think CF, back up for Maddison and back up CB are all key.

With Dier, Perisic and Lloris off that must be a good 500K a week off the wage bill and if Ndombele goes that's potentially 700K a week gone. Plenty to get a couple of top players.

I think we should be aiming for CL this year but realistically EL is more likely as we don't have a huge amount of depth.

5th should get cl this season. With only 1 game a week i think we have a good chance.

Another LB option, another CB option, likely some decision re Richi, Veliz and ?

If Lo Celso goes we probably need a back up ACM for Maddison, Unless Kulusevski or someone can play there.

CB will be a tough one. We won't be able to get someone like Tapsoba now we have a settled first choice partnership. Hopefully we can revive the Kelly deal from Bournemouth. Apparently he was interested and we are keeping tabs etc and he's out of contract at the end of the season.

If Lo Celso goes we probably need a back up ACM for Maddison, Unless Kulusevski or someone can play there.

CB will be a tough one. We won't be able to get someone like Tapsoba now we have a settled first choice partnership. Hopefully we can revive the Kelly deal from Bournemouth. Apparently he was interested and we are keeping tabs etc and he's out of contract at the end of the season.
Kelly is just bloody sensible
Assuming we rate him as highly as it seems
His contract and HG status and the fact that its progress for him is a great match
LB it’s possible that sessengin under a manager who won’t hold him back may be good enough cover. I’m not convinced but there is a player there
ACM could be Kulu as cover is we sell Lo
celso
I do have a hope that we really push to bring in some of the youth. Even if they arent ready

It is early days ( and i am trying to remain calm) but we do have the makings of a very good squad, a lot of young players who should improve as they get older/mature.

Hoping devine can shine on loan this season. If he can step into the squad it would solve a lot of problems.

If you had to buy a top player in one position to upgrade on where would it be/ who could be upgraded on?

Note: I don't mean bringing in young players with potential (Thats a given), It would need to be an instant upgrade on someone. Any ideas?

If you had to buy a top player in one position to upgrade on where would it be/ who could be upgraded on?

Note: I don't mean bringing in young players with potential (Thats a given), It would need to be an instant upgrade on someone. Any ideas?

Gotta be attack somewhere I guess as I think we're pretty well set in GK/Defence/Central Midfield

If son is now cf. I'd love Kvaratskhelia

Back