• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad

I think we saw form how we were after the substitutions of Son and Maddison that we really don't have a very deep/quality squad beyond the first 11. GHod forbid we get an injury to any of Bissouma, Maddison, Van der Ven or Romero...

Also, what has happened with Phillips? He was making squads before the international break and we were discussing here about how comfortable we were with him being marked out for sub CB if need be....

I think we saw form how we were after the substitutions of Son and Maddison that we really don't have a very deep/quality squad beyond the first 11. GHod forbid we get an injury to any of Bissouma, Maddison, Van der Ven or Romero...

Also, what has happened with Phillips? He was making squads before the international break and we were discussing here about how comfortable we were with him being marked out for sub CB if need be....
Philip will be given the chance if need be
But I think Ange recognises that coaching and match time is key for him
I’d rather have Dier there just in case and Philips there to learn right now

and you right about the injuries to those players
Arguably they have been the best players in the league in their positions this season so we would miss them for sure
That’s a test we hopefully won’t have buy I have faith that Ange will deal with whatever is thrown at him

Don't forget Gil. I think he will be able to shine in this team.

Isn't Brennan able to play as a cf ?
Gil may well suit the 10 role
Hard to know because he has played so little and not at all under Ange
I do hope he is given opportunities in training to impress Ange
Would be a shame to have such a high cost player failing again with every other signing shining

Would be a shame to have such a high cost player failing again with every other signing shining
He looks much more a Ange player than he ever was a fir for Conte. I can see him playing across the attacking positions except striker. Whether he will prove good enough remains to be seen but he is a combinational player, he likes quick 1,2s we've just never really played that way under the coaches we've had since hes been here. I believe he will indeed offer something useful.

He looks much more a Ange player than he ever was a fir for Conte. I can see him playing across the attacking positions except striker. Whether he will prove good enough remains to be seen but he is a combinational player, he likes quick 1,2s we've just never really played that way under the coaches we've had since hes been here. I believe he will indeed offer something useful.

I hope your right
Be great to have another option there
And a young one too

Both after the subs and the fact that we didn't sub Kulusevski (seemed to be tiring), or Sarr or Udogie on yellows.

I like that Ange trusts these players to play on a yellow, but the combination of them having to be less aggressive and players tiring along with losing Maddison saw us struggle a bit.

To be fair that's with Perisic injured. Bentancur injured. Johnson going off with an injury. Maddison probably taken off as a precaution. GLC and Gil injuried.

How GLC and Gil look when fit and given the chance will tell us more about our squad depth.

But yeah, another CB and a Perisic replacement in January should be high on the list. Then depending on how Ange views Skipp, GLC, Gil and Hojbjerg another midfielder may also be a priority.

It's great to have a depth problem rather than a first 11 problem mind. And probably a good thing that we're not in Europe this season.

To be fair that's with Perisic injured. Bentancur injured. Johnson going off with an injury. Maddison probably taken off as a precaution. GLC and Gil injuried.
Yea I think that’s the key here. No doubt we had less control when Maddison and Son went off, but we were missing some squad players already. These players were either already injured or injured during the match:

Bentancur
Johnson
Maddison
Perisic
Gill
Sessengnon
GLC

In Maddison, Gill and GLC you are missing that similar sort of player who can (or potentially could in Gill’s case) link attacks together.

With Johnson and Perisic out you’re unable to rest Kulu for the last part of the game.

with Sess out your unable to go like for like with Udogie and give him a break (wouldn’t fancy Davies v Saka tbh)

Any squad with a number of injuries like that at the same time would struggle really.

the glaring weakness in the squad is CB for me, though I’d be keen to keep a pathway thru to the first team for youngsters like Phillips as well. Better back up for Maddison would be useful also unless GLC or Gill step up.

I think Ange having mentioned him in press conferences is a positive sign. And with Perisic effectively gone, he now has a space that needs a contribution. Might even become the case that he gets to challenge GLC as a no.10 option or as a RW option.

I think Ange having mentioned him in press conferences is a positive sign. And with Perisic effectively gone, he now has a space that needs a contribution. Might even become the case that he gets to challenge GLC as a no.10 option or as a RW option.
Would be nice to see, for sure

Both after the subs and the fact that we didn't sub Kulusevski (seemed to be tiring), or Sarr or Udogie on yellows.

I like that Ange trusts these players to play on a yellow, but the combination of them having to be less aggressive and players tiring along with losing Maddison saw us struggle a bit.

How GLC and Gil look when fit and given the chance will tell us more about our squad depth.

But yeah, another CB and a Perisic replacement in January should be high on the list. Then depending on how Ange views Skipp, GLC, Gil and Hojbjerg another midfielder may also be a priority.

It's great to have a depth problem rather than a first 11 problem mind. And probably a good thing that we're not in Europe this season.

The one game a season will cover a lot of potential issues

I would say the Scum game isn't a great example, think we chose to take the point in the end vs. risking two critical players and the subs reflected that "take the point" strategy.

To your point -> Veliz, Ashley, Gil, GLC, plus continued development of Johnson and Solomon and what Ange gets out of Richi will be big factors in future window decisions

PEH will move on, don't think he wants to be 2nd/3rd choice and we can get a bit of money for him
Perisic unfortunate, I really thought he might have played a big part and would have been up for perhaps even a 1yr extension, baring an early return and smashing out the park at end of season, he's probably gone
I don't see Sess and Skipp unfortunately making the grade
We won't renew Dier

So out will be 2xLB, 1xCB, 2xCM and 1 winger even without counting Gil, GLC, Richi

Lots of work still to be done

talking about Skipp. its a bit of shame, He is a good player. But I now dont think he fits this system. He is a sitting midfielder, no real pace, decent pass though and not such a good player at retention under the press. If I was him I would move on.

Sess. Thats an interesting one. Never a full out winger or decent enough at full back. Wing back should have been his role. He has pace, and maybe can play again as a Wide forward like he did for Fulham. I have not given up on him yet.

Dier, PEH, Peresic all out. We will be a pretty young squad and turn around.

talking about Skipp. its a bit of shame, He is a good player. But I now dont think he fits this system. He is a sitting midfielder, no real pace, decent pass though and not such a good player at retention under the press. If I was him I would move on.

Sess. Thats an interesting one. Never a full out winger or decent enough at full back. Wing back should have been his role. He has pace, and maybe can play again as a Wide forward like he did for Fulham. I have not given up on him yet.

We wont sell skipp for a while yet. He is club trained, of which hopefully next season we will want 4 in the squad.

We wont sell skipp for a while yet. He is club trained, of which hopefully next season we will want 4 in the squad.
yeah its good for us. not for him. I don't want him to rot on the bench. Would hope we can always have a section of our squad that is purely for promotion of young players from our other teams. To keep the club trained levels the same.

yeah its good for us. not for him. I don't want him to rot on the bench. Would hope we can always have a section of our squad that is purely for promotion of young players from our other teams. To keep the club trained levels the same.

This, if you want an odd stat, Skipp has more games played in a single season (on his loan) than Winks has ever managed.

Being a bit part young player eventually hampers progression. We should either sell or loan him (if we think there is some upside still), otherwise just rotate in the next academy player

Agree on Skipp. But let's see how he does with more time under Ange. If he wants to move on at some point fair enough, but he's a useful squad player and home grown. In no hurry with him, but if he feels like he needs to hurry I can understand that.

Sessegnon, time will tell. He's not had a good time at any point here. Will be interesting to see what Ange can do with him. There's talent in him for sure, surely couldn't wish for a better manager for him than Ange.

Agree on the others too. Wouldn't be against more younger players coming in to compete. But also wouldn't be against for example a more experienced CB to come in as an option in addition to the young lads already here.

Agree on Skipp. But let's see how he does with more time under Ange. If he wants to move on at some point fair enough, but he's a useful squad player and home grown. In no hurry with him, but if he feels like he needs to hurry I can understand that.

Sessegnon, time will tell. He's not had a good time at any point here. Will be interesting to see what Ange can do with him. There's talent in him for sure, surely couldn't wish for a better manager for him than Ange.

Agree on the others too. Wouldn't be against more younger players coming in to compete. But also wouldn't be against for example a more experienced CB to come in as an option in addition to the young lads already here.
Sessegnon had a great spell in the second half of contes first season, defensively and attack wise
But he has also had a spate of restrictive coaches who IMO have really held his game back
Ange is not like that
But, he would also need to usurp Destiny to get games and I can’t see that happening

Sessegnon had a great spell in the second half of contes first season, defensively and attack wise
But he has also had a spate of restrictive coaches who IMO have really held his game back
Ange is not like that
But, he would also need to usurp Destiny to get games and I can’t see that happening
Great is a massive exaggeration. He had a spell where he was ok. I'd argue it was mediocre but ok is acceptable great is a massive exaggeration.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Great is a massive exaggeration. He had a spell where he was ok. I'd argue it was mediocre but ok is acceptable great is a massive exaggeration.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk
He was great IMO
And very very key in the results
Shame our fans couldn’t all see it
I was at Anfield when he pocketed salah
He was outstanding at leeds
Greta vs Everton in the 5 nil
Didn’t play in the United defeat
When we played Arsenal and beat them 3 nil didn’t he get an assist?
So basically in the best we played under conte, he played
But conte also absolutely hampered him

Back