• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Scott Parker

He was very good for the first half of last season to be fair then he faded badly.

This season he has been absolutely shocking, I can't really recall one strong performance from him at all. Just seems to always give the ball away, get out run, be out of position etc. Looks like he's one of those players who suddenly degenerates within a few months. Time to sell this summer whilst we can still get a few mil and is probably on decent wages as well. Wonder if Arry will be in for him.

Makes you realise just how good Sandro is really, can't wait for his return next season.

He was very good for the first half of last season to be fair then he faded badly.

This season he has been absolutely shocking, I can't really recall one strong performance from him at all. Just seems to always give the ball away, get out run, be out of position etc. Looks like he's one of those players who suddenly degenerates within a few months. Time to sell this summer whilst we can still get a few mil and is probably on decent wages as well. Wonder if Arry will be in for him.

Makes you realise just how good Sandro is really, can't wait for his return next season.

I read this a lot, but I don't see it and the passing stats I see don't back it up either. Could it be that perception of him being so poor in possession is so strong that the legend has become the "fact" and even if only 10% of his passes go astray people will remember those 10% and forget about the 90%? There was a stat on here the other day that showed Parker made more incisive forward passes a game than any other Spurs player this season. Not saying Parker is good at it, but if he is being criticized for this then why aren't other Spurs players who are more wasteful like Dembele?

I read this a lot, but I don't see it and the passing stats I see don't back it up either. Could it be that perception of him being so poor in possession is so strong that the legend has become the "fact" and even if only 10% of his passes go astray people will remember those 10% and forget about the 90%? There was a stat on here the other day that showed Parker made more incisive forward passes a game than any other Spurs player this season. Not saying Parker is good at it, but if he is being criticized for this then why aren't other Spurs players who are more wasteful like Dembele?

I think it's more the timing of when he gives the ball away, always seems to be either when there is no danger whatsoever and he drops a clanger or when there is a big move/counter on the go with someone in acres of space and he completely balls it up.

Re: Parker shirking his DM responsibilites, leading to our lack of form?

Or it could be that stats don't tell the whole story...

Stats are facts. And like facts can be spun anyway you want to see them. Stats and facts never tell the whole story.

Or it could be that stats don't tell the whole story...

I don't disagree, but I think the fact is if Parker has been our most incisive forward passer of the ball that is why we don't create enough when teams sit deep against us. We are lacking someone who can pass the ball in that final third. I think Parker's biggest problem is that he doesn't look like a footballer. His technique is awkward and he isn't very athletic, but he is very effective and is a major asset to Tottenham. He isn't as good as Sandro, but he is a better back up defensive midfielder than any other team has.

I don't recall reading that stat.

I think it's more the timing of when he gives the ball away, always seems to be either when there is no danger whatsoever and he drops a clanger or when there is a big move/counter on the go with someone in acres of space and he completely balls it up.

Parker in the final third is poor. Very poor! His timing of this runs is excellent and his composure in midfield is excellent, but as soon as he gets into the last phase of the pitch he loses all composure and runs the ball into trouble. But I think Dembele is identical to Parker in this regard, only Dembele's off the ball movement isn't anywhere near as good as Parkers. Dembele also runs into trouble or misplaces his pass more often than not in the final third and yet he is loved and Parker is not. I find it even stranger because I thought being an English club the fans would love Parker :lol:

I don't disagree, but I think the fact is if Parker has been our most incisive forward passer of the ball that is why we don't create enough when teams sit deep against us. We are lacking someone who can pass the ball in that final third. I think Parker's biggest problem is that he doesn't look like a footballer. His technique is awkward and he isn't very athletic, but he is very effective and is a major asset to Tottenham. He isn't as good as Sandro, but he is a better back up defensive midfielder than any other team has.

It is not a fact. And he hasn't and that is not an opinion, that is a fact.

I don't recall reading that stat.

I can't remember what thread it was, but he makes 0.3 per game or something which is the highest by a Spurs player this season. He did the same last season, but then he was third or fourth in the list and players like VDV and Modric were ahead of him.

I can't remember what thread it was, but he makes 0.3 per game or something which is the highest by a Spurs player this season. He did the same last season, but then he was third or fourth in the list and players like VDV and Modric were ahead of him.

That does not surprise me.

Im not sure how that conclusion can be made when doesn't seem to have played a pure DM role in over a year for us.

Parker of last season would be an asset - the Parker that has returned from injury not so much.

I will say though that it is our lack of a creative midfielder and Parkers subsequent filling of that void which is asking too much of him. If he'd come in and purely replaced Sandro as the DM then he might have been more of a positive performer for us.

Last edited:

His pass completion stats are good enough, but they don't take into account what position the player receiving the ball is in. So many times Parker dithers on the ball, maybe does a piroutte, then passes to someone that was in open space, but has now been closed down and we either lose the ball or have to go back to Lloris, who invariably will have to kick it long and we lose possession. Parker hardly ever takes advantage of good options, he either doesn't see them or his brain needs a couple of seconds to process.

I think that he has always played the way he is playing now for us. It's just that his Gung ho wannabee Stevie G impression doesn't look that good when you've had Sandro. He had a decent half season last year when he kept it simple. Then thought he was an all action midfielder and took it all upon himself to make things happen. He'd be useful in a relegation fight, but we need players who actually can play top 4 level footie.

This. Everything's relative.

When your comparisons are Jenas and Zokora, Parker's world class. When your comparison is Sandro, Parker doesn't seem so good any more.

That does not surprise me.

Just for you then!

Average passes per game:

2011/12: Modric - 70; Assou-Ekotto - 59; Parker - 59; van der Vaart - 49; Walker 48
2012/13: Dembele - 54; Naughton - 49; Vertonghen - 48; Parker - 45; Walker - 44

Key Passes per game:

2011/12: Modric - 2.7; Bale - 2.3; van der Vaart - 2.3; Adebayor - 1.8; Lennon - 1.7
2012/13: Bale - 2.4; Lennon - 2.0; Dembele - 1.9; Walker - 1.7; Adebayor - 1.1

Accurate crosses per game:

2011/12: Bale - 1.3; Modric - 1.3; van der Vaart - 1.2; Assou-Ekotto - 0.7; Lennon - 0.6
2012/13: Bale - 2.0; Assou-Ekotto - 1.1; Walker - 0.9; Huddlestone - 0.5; Sigurdsson 0.5

Accurate through balls per game:

2011/12: Modric - 0.5; van der Vaart - 0.4; Bale - 0.3; Parker 0.3; Adebayor - 0.2
2012/13: Parker - 0.3; Lennon - 0.2; Defoe - 0.2; Dempsey - 0.2; Naughton - 0.2

This. Everything's relative.

When your comparisons are Jenas and Zokora, Parker's world class. When your comparison is Sandro, Parker doesn't seem so good any more.

But that is why you should never compare players really against each other. You compare them to whether they are in a team and where that team is. Parker is a very good player. Sandro is better, but Parker is good enough for a top six team and has proven that.

Just for you then!

Average passes per game:

2011/12: Modric - 70; Assou-Ekotto - 59; Parker - 59; van der Vaart - 49; Walker 48
2012/13: Dembele - 54; Naughton - 49; Vertonghen - 48; Parker - 45; Walker - 44

Key Passes per game:

2011/12: Modric - 2.7; Bale - 2.3; van der Vaart - 2.3; Adebayor - 1.8; Lennon - 1.7
2012/13: Bale - 2.4; Lennon - 2.0; Dembele - 1.9; Walker - 1.7; Adebayor - 1.1

Accurate crosses per game:

2011/12: Bale - 1.3; Modric - 1.3; van der Vaart - 1.2; Assou-Ekotto - 0.7; Lennon - 0.6
2012/13: Bale - 2.0; Assou-Ekotto - 1.1; Walker - 0.9; Huddlestone - 0.5; Sigurdsson 0.5

Accurate through balls per game:

2011/12: Modric - 0.5; van der Vaart - 0.4; Bale - 0.3; Parker 0.3; Adebayor - 0.2

I know you are a big fan of Parker and HR but seriously..
I don't understand these stats, ..but where did they come from?

Because Dembele's pass completion % is one of the best in the entire league at 90.8%, whilst Parker's is 83.8%. Dembele is not more wasteful.

Does this mean our guys hit one through ball every 5 games about, and Parker hits one every 3 games? That's pretty lame all around really. Hudd must have already overtaken that number I would say.

Back