• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Scott Parker

overall he had a good season, first half / 2/3's he was fantastic in the role he played protecting the back four and breaking up the oppositions play but there was a definite turning point in which he tried to do more than what was required of him and from then on his performances (and that of the team) suffered. personally i think he won the award because no one wanted to vote for want away Modric who was more fitting a winner tbf

but at his best last season he was a great player for us and even this season when Sandro got injured i wasn't so worried as i was thinking Parker would come in and play how he did in the first half of last season and fill the void rather well - hasn't turned out that way though and we have missed Sandro big time. not trying to absolve Villa Boas of any blame - he could well be telling him to play the more advanced of the two, but it's a problem which reared it's head last season, so i don't think it's entirely down to the manager

IMO there's absolutely no way Parker has simply decided to play the box to box role without being told to do so by the manager. Ok there might be moments in games where a player takes it upon himself to play a different role to what his manager has told him but those moments are few and far between.

If he's eventually instructed to play his normal game and play the deeper role, i'm sure he will be putting in some more fantastic performances. That being said, i now think we have to go gung-ho for the rest of the season so he should probably be benched (lets face it, there's no way he'll suddenly be instructed to sit deep).

AVB's decision to use Parker as the box to box midfielder and Dembele as the one sitting deeper is both ridiculous and very confusing. I'm pretty sure Parker would be performing far better if allowed to play his normal game.

If it is AVB's decision then I agree 100%.
To me, especially on Saturday, it looked like Parker was simply roaring about doing stuff and finding himself so far forward that be cut space off for others who would be better in it. He was twice running onto balls around the box where I cringed, knowing the shot would give someone behind the goal a concussion. Who knows why, but I agree with you, if this is on instruction from AVB then it's clearly a bungle.
I have to believe it's the player going a bit 'wild' once out there, and if that's the case, then AVB does need to clamp down OR have him on the bench IMO.

Interesting discussion BTW...I think my appreciation of AVB is well known, but like all managers he has made a few mistakes (as will happen) and IF he has instructed Parker to be 'the man' box-to-box, then it is a mistake indeed.

I think it's VITAL he plays Benny and Walker if he is to play the Hudd, and further, I think it's time to gamble on Caulker once more. Not sure what's happened to Daws recently, but he's going through a wobbly patch. I think AVB is desperate to make sure we have leaders out there, and I see the logic, but equally, we need to make sure we're solid.

I will say that based on Saturday, it would be Verts who needs the rest. I do think Caulker needs a few games though, not only is he strong in the air defensively, he is a proper threat from our own set-pieces. Against the likes of Stoke, I think he could be absolutely key!

COYS

To me, especially on Saturday, it looked like Parker was simply roaring about doing stuff and finding himself so far forward that be cut space off for others who would be better in it. He was twice running onto balls around the box where I cringed, knowing the shot would give someone behind the goal a concussion. Who knows why, but I agree with you, if this is on instruction from AVB then it's clearly a bungle.
I have to believe it's the player going a bit 'wild' once out there, and if that's the case, then AVB does need to clamp down OR have him on the bench IMO.
AVB needs to sort it out, he is partly culpable but he's definitely not telling Parker to do that. Parker was doing it last season and it was painful to watch.

If it's Parker taking it upon himself to roar forward like he has been doing every week since he's returned to the first team, then i'm afraid to say that our manager is a very mentally weak man. To let a player decide how he's going to play week after week when he's been instructed to play a different role, at the expense of another player who is clearly better suited for that role is amazing. Scott Parker looks as if he's playing a 'free role' and if he's taken it upon himself to do that...week after week...without being told to cut it out then we're in trouble.

Luckily enough i think there's absolutely no chance in hell Scott Parker has simply decided to play the box to box role, and Dembele has just decided to sit deep. There's still a chance it will change.

Parker playing more advanced started in the second half of last season, which leads me to believe it's more the players own thinking than specific instruction to do so

perhaps you blocked it from your mind, was very frustrating - kinda coincided with our poor form from the end of Jan onward. very similar to how he tries to play now, was getting involved in the final 3rd a hell of a lot more than he was in the months prior - getting in the way of our build up play, slowing things down etc etc

overall he had a good season, first half / 2/3's he was fantastic in the role he played protecting the back four and breaking up the oppositions play but there was a definite turning point in which he tried to do more than what was required of him and from then on his performances (and that of the team) suffered. personally i think he won the award because no one wanted to vote for want away Modric who was more fitting a winner tbf

but at his best last season he was a great player for us and even this season when Sandro got injured i wasn't so worried as i was thinking Parker would come in and play how he did in the first half of last season and fill the void rather well - hasn't turned out that way though and we have missed Sandro big time. not trying to absolve Villa Boas of any blame - he could well be telling him to play the more advanced of the two, but it's a problem which reared it's head last season, so i don't think it's entirely down to the manager

=D> Brilliant posts.
Also there were moments which he drove forward unnecessary when he was supposed to stay back (while VDV and Modric both played).

He actually played as a BTB when he played for West Ham (if not , at least he was given more freedom in going forward). In season 10/11 he scored 5 goals in the league .

I think at West Ham he could do whatever he wanted as he was so much better than everyone else.

I think at West Ham he could do whatever he wanted as he was so much better than everyone else.

Yeah, but the thing is we're a team challenging for top 4, not fighting relegation. We really should have bought much better instead of spending 5.5 mil on someone at the tail end of their career. No wonder Redknapp had to twist Levy's arm to do this deal.

Yeah, but the thing is we're a team challenging for top 4, not fighting relegation. We really should have bought much better instead of spending 5.5 mil on someone at the tail end of their career. No wonder Redknapp had to twist Levy's arm to do this deal.

and thank fudge he did.

If it's Parker taking it upon himself to roar forward like he has been doing every week since he's returned to the first team, then i'm afraid to say that our manager is a very mentally weak man. To let a player decide how he's going to play week after week when he's been instructed to play a different role, at the expense of another player who is clearly better suited for that role is amazing. Scott Parker looks as if he's playing a 'free role' and if he's taken it upon himself to do that...week after week...without being told to cut it out then we're in trouble.

Luckily enough i think there's absolutely no chance in hell Scott Parker has simply decided to play the box to box role, and Dembele has just decided to sit deep. There's still a chance it will change.

Again, I think it's a really good question you raise and who can know the answer.
I wouldn't disagree that it would be weak to allow this to happen week after week, but given how well he has generally organized us and arranged our styles of play, I just find it hard to imagine.

One thing I've observed with AVB is that he certainly seems very keen to get as much as he possibly can out of senior professionals even if they don't necessarily fit in with his ideal plans/shape. I suspect Parker falls into that category.

I'd be interested to know the full story with Parker it must be said...the ONLY thing I can think of with regards to Saturday was that he felt Hudd was the deep sitter, Dembele the 'from-deep' wanderer and Parker the space invader Freund-style, but Parker simply isn't up to that any more. Who knows. Interesting discussion...

to be fair I do like it when Parker gets the ball and runs 20 yards directly towards his own team mate and delivers the ball personally rather than passing it.

to be fair I do like it when Parker gets the ball and runs 20 yards directly towards his own team mate and delivers the ball personally rather than passing it.

Beats doing a 360 degree spin before passing it to a team mate that is now under pressure.

The game has moved on in the last few years. You need to be good on the ball and you need to keep possession.

Still makes me laugh though that the people who didn't want him still can't admit he had a good season for us last season. It's as if he has been crap the whole time.

The game has moved on in the last few years. You need to be good on the ball and you need to keep possession.

Still makes me laugh though that the people who didn't want him still can't admit he had a good season for us last season. It's as if he has been crap the whole time.

The problem is he's been soooo crap this season it negates what happened before. He wont score if he lives to be 154.

Most players occasionally at least by fluke curl one into the far corner; Parker has trouble curling one into the toilet when perched directly a foot above.

Plus last seasons performances are irrelevant to debate about this season.

The problem is he's been soooo crap this season it negates what happened before. He wont score if he lives to be 154.

Most players occasionally at least by fluke curl one into the far corner; Parker has trouble curling one into the toilet when perched directly a foot above.

Plus last seasons performances are irrelevant to debate about this season.

No I admit he has been well below par this season. It was more a comment on how forum posters won't ever admit they got it wrong about a player.

Scott is one of the weirdest players ever to play the beautiful game. You watch him play and he rarely does anything wrong. But he rarely does anything right, too. When he heads toward the opposition area you see acres of space and you know he will always run into the other acres.
Managers love him because he works so hard but against City we looked better after he left the pitch and in other games, too.

No I admit he has been well below par this season. It was more a comment on how forum posters won't ever admit they got it wrong about a player.

I think that he has always played the way he is playing now for us. It's just that his Gung ho wannabee Stevie G impression doesn't look that good when you've had Sandro. He had a decent half season last year when he kept it simple. Then thought he was an all action midfielder and took it all upon himself to make things happen. He'd be useful in a relegation fight, but we need players who actually can play top 4 level footie.

I think that he has always played the way he is playing now for us. It's just that his Gung ho wannabee Stevie G impression doesn't look that good when you've had Sandro. He had a decent half season last year when he kept it simple. Then thought he was an all action midfielder and took it all upon himself to make things happen. He'd be useful in a relegation fight, but we need players who actually can play top 4 level footie.

Redknapp felt he was integral to last season, and we finished top four just one point away from third. This season we are in the fight for fourth and AVB rates Parker enough to play him as a regular whether some fans like it or not. He can't be anywhere near as bad as people think as he is on here, or we wouldn't be top four last season and fighting for it this year.

Back