• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Scott Parker

The problem is, African, a lot of people have their favourites and are angered or blinkered when it comes to someone criticising them. For example i've been hounded as a Parker hater but I actually like the guy, one of a very small group of likeable footballers; I just think that we can play better with a more of a Xabi Alonso or Makelele type DM who uses positional ability rather than box to box pressing.

This. Modric does a lot of our 'close pressing' where he pushes up to the opposition defenders/DMs, playing VDV rather than two strikers adds to this. I want the deep-lying midfielder to have the positional sense to mop up rather than go haring about at 100mph for half a season. There's no need or tactical advantage to having both midfielders press the way Parker does.

I'd also prefer to have a midfielder that doesn't make Modric/VDV/both feel the need to drop within 5 yards to receive the ball constantly.

This. Modric does a lot of our 'close pressing' where he pushes up to the opposition defenders/DMs, playing VDV rather than two strikers adds to this. I want the deep-lying midfielder to have the positional sense to mop up rather than go haring about at 100mph for half a season. There's no need or tactical advantage to having both midfielders press the way Parker does.

I'd also prefer to have a midfielder that doesn't make Modric/VDV/both feel the need to drop within 5 yards to receive the ball constantly.

I don't think there is a midfielder in the country. It's part of their game. For example. Modric is in the midfield so why does VDV feel the need to drop deep? Using the logic there, surely VDV would be OK staying forward because he knew Modric was there to pick the ball up?

Why does Messi drop so deep when he has Xavi and Fabregas there?

I don't think there is a midfielder in the country. It's part of their game. For example. Modric is in the midfield so why does VDV feel the need to drop deep? Using the logic there, surely VDV would be OK staying forward because he knew Modric was there to pick the ball up?

Why does Messi drop so deep when he has Xavi and Fabregas there?

There is a difference between movements where two players temporarily "switch positions" by making opposite runs. For example when VdV drops deep and Modric moves forward, or Messi drops deep and Fabregas moves forward and a player coming deep to receive a 5-10 yard pass (or pick the ball up) off a player that after making that pass just stays where he is. The former is done to try to find or create space and unsettle opponents. The latter is done because the player on the ball isn't all that good at passing.

There is a difference between movements where two players temporarily "switch positions" by making opposite runs. For example when VdV drops deep and Modric moves forward, or Messi drops deep and Fabregas moves forward and a player coming deep to receive a 5-10 yard pass (or pick the ball up) off a player that after making that pass just stays where he is. The former is done to try to find or create space and unsettle opponents. The latter is done because the player on the ball isn't all that good at passing.

But that doesn't happen with us does it? VDV drops deep and is standing 10 yards from Modric. How do you explain that?

Not from what I've seen. When VDV drops into midfield Modric usually pulls wide or stays in midfield. He rarely goes up front.

And assuming you're right, it's not working is it? So what is the solution?

He moves into space between the defenders and midfielders, or sometimes he does pull wide, that also works. Sometimes he does stay in central midfield, but then VdV or Modric get moving up field rather quickly most of the time.

It's not working? Based on what? We're on a poor run so the movements between VdV and Modric therefor aren't working?

He moves into space between the defenders and midfielders, or sometimes he does pull wide, that also works. Sometimes he does stay in central midfield, but then VdV or Modric get moving up field rather quickly most of the time.

It's not working? Based on what? We're on a poor run so the movements between VdV and Modric therefor aren't working?

Based on the fact that for all our possession we really don't create enough chances.

Based on the fact that for all our possession we really don't create enough chances.

Again, this doesn't have to be a symptom of movement between VdV and Modric at all, a multitude of reasons that could be causing this so I don't see how you get from "we don't create enough chances" to "the movement between VdV and Modric doesn't work.

However I'm not really looking to get into another Modric, why doesn't he win us games debate this time of day/night. Do you agree with my initial point that there is a difference between dropping deep to pick the ball up off players that aren't capable of making a lot of expansive attacking passes and dropping deep to swap positions?

I think we create enough chances,Bale and Modric are both in the top 5 creators in the league and VdV and Ade in the top 20.Against Norwich we had plenty of chances early in the second half,also against Chelsea in the first half.Van der Vaart is usually our best finisher but in both games against Chelsea he missed sitters.Bale is ok,but he he also tries alot of useless shots.Adebayor for all the good he brings to the team is not what you would call clinical.Modric is average/bad and Parker is horrible.
Defoe is certainly the best of the lot,but if we play him then we cant play with VdV and Lennon.

Also,another thing we should try out sometimes when we are behind is just take off a defender,bring in Kranjcar and play Bale as a wing back.Kranjcar may be slow and bad in defense,but he has saved our asses enough times with wonder goals when we needed them.

Again, this doesn't have to be a symptom of movement between VdV and Modric at all, a multitude of reasons that could be causing this so I don't see how you get from "we don't create enough chances" to "the movement between VdV and Modric doesn't work.

However I'm not really looking to get into another Modric, why doesn't he win us games debate this time of day/night. Do you agree with my initial point that there is a difference between dropping deep to pick the ball up off players that aren't capable of making a lot of expansive attacking passes and dropping deep to swap positions?

Yes I agree. But I don't agree that VDV and Modric do that on a regular basis. I believe a players tend to drop deep not through orders, but through their own style of play and quite often they'll do it regardless of whether the team around them benefits from it or not. That's what balance is in my opinion. When you have a team that compliments each other, including its quirks. VDV and Poyet, for example, would have complimented each other superbly. VDV and Modric do not, in my opinion.

Parker

Not very popular is he? Couldn't even find any threads on him that weren't about comparing him with someone else. :lol:

Anyway:

Scott's missed: Parker facing Achilles op that would keep him out til mid-September

Spurs fear that Parker has aggravated the injury by playing through pain during England?s Euro 2012 campaign

Scott Parker may need an Achilles operation which will force him to miss the start of the Premier League season.

Spurs fear that Parker has aggravated the injury by playing through pain during England?s Euro 2012 campaign.

And they are concerned that the midfielder was not given enough protection by England.

The operation would be likely to keep Parker out for two months and Spurs fear he might not feature in the first team until mid-September.

Parker has been struggling with his fitness for some time but ran himself in to the ground in England?s cause in Ukraine.

He knew it might be his only chance of playing in a major tournament and was determined not to miss out.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-star-scott-parker-could-941408

I think that Parker has run himself into the ground since the spring and would have needed a lengthy break after the Euros anyway.

Partially Redknapp's fault for not rotating the squad enough but Sandro was injured a well mid season too. I wonder how much that cameo appearance against Villa cost him his fitness as it seemed to aggravate the injury; Parker's not one to shy out of the game and decline playing because of injury.

Partially Redknapp's fault for not rotating the squad enough but Sandro was injured a well mid season too. I wonder how much that cameo appearance against Villa cost him his fitness as it seemed to aggravate the injury; Parker's not one to shy out of the game and decline playing because of injury.

Stupid sub in the first place

His form up until our post-February collapse was outstanding last season, but we have Sandro and Livermore that play in his position. As far as our first choice players go, he is probably the one that we can live without the easiest, if he is still first choice following Sandro's good end to last season.

His form up until our post-February collapse was outstanding last season, but we have Sandro and Livermore that play in his position. As far as our first choice players go, he is probably the one that we can live without the easiest, if he is still first choice following Sandro's good end to last season.

Livermore is no defensive midfielder. I'd be very worried if we started next season with him playing there.

Not very popular is he? Couldn't even find any threads on him that weren't about comparing him with someone else. :lol:

Anyway:

Scott's missed: Parker facing Achilles op that would keep him out til mid-September

Spurs fear that Parker has aggravated the injury by playing through pain during England?s Euro 2012 campaign

Scott Parker may need an Achilles operation which will force him to miss the start of the Premier League season.

Spurs fear that Parker has aggravated the injury by playing through pain during England?s Euro 2012 campaign.

And they are concerned that the midfielder was not given enough protection by England.

The operation would be likely to keep Parker out for two months and Spurs fear he might not feature in the first team until mid-September.

Parker has been struggling with his fitness for some time but ran himself in to the ground in England?s cause in Ukraine.

He knew it might be his only chance of playing in a major tournament and was determined not to miss out.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-star-scott-parker-could-941408

I would imagine that Parker's days at Spurs are numbered anyway. Sandro (if he sticks around) will surely be the first choice next season, and Parker was very much 'Arry's boy and is unlikely to be fancied by any new Manager. Especially if the new manager isn't British.

Back