• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rodrigo Bentancur

There's a lovely pair of excuses for his continuation of not really looking that good on the pitch for us. Late to pre-season as well as getting injured in his first start in the international competition, who could expect him to actually be dependable and consistent!?

It's unfortunate and I never want to blame a player for getting injured, or in Bentancur's case just simply being injury prone but unless we want Gray starting in at the deep end in league matches I can't help but feel we still need a high calibre midfielder. We can sell PEH but we'll still have the rest of the lot that were getting routinely subbed off / offering little to no cohesive midfield play for the 2nd half of the season and whilst it's great that we've added a talented youngster, not sure he's the type to raise everyone else's game just yet.

Bentancur and Kulu are looking such an odd pair of signings. Both came in January and slotted in seamlessly and made such a huge difference in our run to get CL but have not asserted themselves over a full season to anywhere near the same level.

Apparently he's on video throwing a bottle in to the crowd during the brawl after the match - could be looking at a ban

There's a lovely pair of excuses for his continuation of not really looking that good on the pitch for us. Late to pre-season as well as getting injured in his first start in the international competition, who could expect him to actually be dependable and consistent!?

It's unfortunate and I never want to blame a player for getting injured, or in Bentancur's case just simply being injury prone but unless we want Gray starting in at the deep end in league matches I can't help but feel we still need a high calibre midfielder. We can sell PEH but we'll still have the rest of the lot that were getting routinely subbed off / offering little to no cohesive midfield play for the 2nd half of the season and whilst it's great that we've added a talented youngster, not sure he's the type to raise everyone else's game just yet.

Bentancur and Kulu are looking such an odd pair of signings. Both came in January and slotted in seamlessly and made such a huge difference in our run to get CL but have not asserted themselves over a full season to anywhere near the same level.

The injuries haven't been his fault have they? Both have been from tackles?
I know we shouldn't blame players for injuries from training and strains etc, even though some do, but he really can't help it if he is being kicked off the pitch.
That's not excuses, that's valid reasons.

I know we shouldn't blame players for injuries from training and strains etc, even though some do, but he really can't help it if he is being kicked off the pitch.

His injuries have largely been impact issues to your point, I had actually said it earlier in thread, was quite ok without him starting in this Copa due to the nature of those games ..

A few people have commented it looked like he took a knee to thigh and since he sat on bench, might not be serious.

If he gets in trouble for throwing stuff, that's just stupid.

Hopefully it would just be international bans, unless we are talking months.
Dier got 4 games for just going up into the crowd.

It's seldom rarely a player's fault for getting injured, that was kind of my point.

However people feel about it and attribute blame (it's easy to make out Cash in particular as a pantomime villain), there's still the issue of being injured often and generally inconsistent when "fit". You're generally going to get physical tackles / treatment in a physical sport, we've got players that dish it out too.

We don't have the raw data as to whether he is getting rushed back to fitness, I can only comment on what happens on the pitch and my feeling is that it's been a long time since we've seen the best of him.

It felt like Ange tried every combination of the midfield and none of the combos seemed to be "the one", I wonder if many would have Bentancur in their ideal trio / set up because it's a long old time since we have seen his best. To me it's still a problem area and that's despite making two signings in that area as they seem to be more potential than hitting the ground running - How I would love to be completely wrong on that front though of course.

It's seldom rarely a player's fault for getting injured, that was kind of my point.

However people feel about it and attribute blame (it's easy to make out Cash in particular as a pantomime villain), there's still the issue of being injured often and generally inconsistent when "fit". You're generally going to get physical tackles / treatment in a physical sport, we've got players that dish it out too.

We don't have the raw data as to whether he is getting rushed back to fitness, I can only comment on what happens on the pitch and my feeling is that it's been a long time since we've seen the best of him.

It felt like Ange tried every combination of the midfield and none of the combos seemed to be "the one", I wonder if many would have Bentancur in their ideal trio / set up because it's a long old time since we have seen his best. To me it's still a problem area and that's despite making two signings in that area as they seem to be more potential than hitting the ground running - How I would love to be completely wrong on that front though of course.

One thing I think it does highlight is that your best players on paper aren't always the best combination on the pitch.
The system and our best players, or perceived best players, don't appear to give us as much as they should.

One thing I think it does highlight is that your best players on paper aren't always the best combination on the pitch.
The system and our best players, or perceived best players, don't appear to give us as much as they should.

Absolutely. I guess I posed the question but the whole best XI isn't the best metric, it seemingly forgets about the idea of different opposition with different game plans and the real life circumstances of who is fit and available but even just as a basic thought exercise, I'm not sure what it looks like, would be interesting to know how Ange reckons we'll line up.

On the system, it's a simplification but it looked great early on and then it didn't but we managed to limp to 5th. The midfield is definitely still a problem area imo, getting consistency out of Biss / Bentancur isn't an easy task.

I always felt you only got kicked if you were an arsehole or a very good player, I think he is a bit of both.

Shame on the injury, usual for major ones to then contribute to more smaller ones later on, no shock there. I don't think he is one we could 100% rely on for injuries or form next year, just the way its gone unfortunately

Made of glass and has only had a couple of months of decent football, alot like Kulu, they are showing why they couldn’t get on the pitch for Juve.

Shame on the injury, usual for major ones to then contribute to more smaller ones later on, no shock there. I don't think he is one we could 100% rely on for injuries or form next year, just the way its gone unfortunately

But if it clicks again, he's one of the top 5 CMs in the league. With Bissouma, Sarr and now Gray, we can afford the luxury of seeing how it goes.

Back