• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Official - Soldado

I watched him a lot in the Europa League campaign where Valencia eventually faced Atletico Madrid in the final, and there wasn't a lot between him and Falcao during that campaign I thought.

Last edited:

look every game he plays is new to him - the weather, ground conditions, opposition etc. he will come good next season, i predict very good.

His all round game is excellent

He should be scoring though and it will come. He is getting the chances now though and looks far more accomplished in this team.

You having a laugh?

He's slow, weak, lazy, one footed and can't generate any power in his shots.

Hes a great player and will come good. He brings a lot to the team if you watch him, and his attitude is top draw. I agree as soon as he scores he'll go on a run. One of the first names on team sheet for me.

soldado just needs a lucky break. how that sliding in chance against Soton doesn't go in is beyond me, and has nothing to do with ability, just plain unlucky. you can see he is disappointed in not scoring, and I think the best we can do as supporters is just give the guy all the support he can get. clearly a top top player for me, just needs a lucky break and an a pat on the back. he will come good, and it looks even more so now with us getting the ball into the box finally.

soldado just needs a lucky break. how that sliding in chance against Soton doesn't go in is beyond me, and has nothing to do with ability, just plain unlucky. you can see he is disappointed in not scoring, and I think the best we can do as supporters is just give the guy all the support he can get. clearly a top top player for me, just needs a lucky break and an a pat on the back. he will come good, and it looks even more so now with us getting the ball into the box finally.

Totally agree. All #9's get a half-dozen nonsense goals a season - taps ins off keeper spills or deadly accurate crosses, flukey goals that go in off their shin or ar$e etc, but Soldado hasn't had even one of those yet. It's freakish, and I think that has to break in the second half of season.

You're either totally ignorant with regard to football or a WUM.

How can anyone dispute any of those?

He is slow; he is weak; he is one footed and he can't generate any power in his shots.

I thought even those who rate him would admit that? He's a poacher, right? It's his movement and finishing which make him a good poacher, apparently, no?

The enthusiasm and 'faith' in him is, in a sense, admirable, but in another, more realistic way, delusion. Soldado is the antithesis of a complete footballer.

here we go, i have my first ...next season....prediction

agreed

I disagree, I think he will come good this season, too good not to.

Honestly, I know people will point to the lack of goals, but for me, I'm not sure how people don't see the potential in the guy.

Honestly, I know people will point to the lack of goals, but for me, I'm not sure how people don't see the potential in the guy.

What is it you're seeing? He looks atrocious to me.

Ignoring the goal drought, I don't see what he offers that any other Premier League striker wouldn't offer.

The two crosses for Adebayor were excellent, but I think he's so bad, he's reached a point where even the most basic of things he does are being applauded.

I'm sure he's a good finisher, but I don't think that'll be enough to be a real success in the league. Take Darren Bent and Hernandez, for example. He doesn't even have the pace and drive they have. I honestly think he'll be fazed out of the team within a year and out of the club within two.

To be fair his shooting confidence seems shot to pieces but he can still take a great penalty. How he didn't score at least one yesterday is beyond belief, Lennon puts if on a plate for him.

That said I think he will come good soon if the team continues to play like yesterday he just needs to get used to playing with ade and taking his chances when they come. Come on bobby, you can do it!

Ignoring the goal drought, I don't see what he offers that any other Premier League striker wouldn't offer.

The two crosses for Adebayor were excellent, but I think he's so bad, he's reached a point where even the most basic of things he does are being applauded.

I'm sure he's a good finisher, but I don't think that'll be enough to be a real success in the league. Take Darren Bent and Hernandez, for example. He doesn't even have the pace and drive they have. I honestly think he'll be fazed out of the team within a year and out of the club within two.

Mate, I get you don't like the guy and/or don't think he is good enough. It is coming across as purely a wind up at this point. (I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt)

Soldado is a proven striker, outscored in Spain only by Messi/Ronaldo. Personally I see a striker that moves well, has a very good cross on him, doesn't panic (see the penalties), good finisher (see Spain, see his one "open" goal where he looks up and picks spot) and has very good work ethic.

Again, I think the comparison to Bent/Hernandez is unfair, neither of those guys contribute **** to the team other than goals, if you don't believe that Soldado contributed more than that in the last 3 games, then not sure I can help. If you want a comparison, I think right now (I believe it will change), Torres is probably best example, working hard for Cheat$ki, being involved, setting up goals, but not really scoring himself.

My view is next season Ade/JD will be gone and Soldado will still be here.

Mate, I get you don't like the guy and/or don't think he is good enough. It is coming across as purely a wind up at this point. (I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt)

Soldado is a proven striker, outscored in Spain only by Messi/Ronaldo. Personally I see a striker that moves well, has a very good cross on him, doesn't panic (see the penalties), good finisher (see Spain, see his one "open" goal where he looks up and picks spot) and has very good work ethic.

Again, I think the comparison to Bent/Hernandez is unfair, neither of those guys contribute **** to the team other than goals, if you don't believe that Soldado contributed more than that in the last 3 games, then not sure I can help. If you want a comparison, I think right now (I believe it will change), Torres is probably best example, working hard for Cheat$ki, being involved, setting up goals, but not really scoring himself.

Certainly no winding-up. I've posted long enough on this board for people to know that. There's a precedent for this with Alan Hutton. I remember getting lambasted here for saying I thought he was useless, when everyone was saying he's an all action, brilliant right-back. Same thing happened with Kyle Walker - although he's resembling a footballer a little more these days (I'd still start Naughton over him).

The La Liga comparison is only so helpful. Ronaldo and Messi do SO much more than Soladado, yet also scored SO many more goals. Look at how Kanoute and Forlan did in La Liga in comparison to in England. Look at the difference in Ronaldo's amount of goals. It's clearly easier to score more goals there. Over the years, Barca and Real had the pick of La Liga talents and never looked at Soldado - Real let him go, of course. This isn't determinative, but it's another factor.

You watch any striker in the league, and you can find qualities - there's no way Soldado works harder than the average striker, no way. He's the striker at school, who'll chase the defender down, giving the impression he's working hard, but offers nothing there. It's exactly what Van der Vaart did. Watch any striker over 20 games and you'll also see glimpses of quality. The very fact those two crosses stand out so much is because they were so out of context. Soldado's assists in the last four years in Spain: 2, 3, 3 and 4. It's not great, really. Also, 12 caps for Spain is pretty poor, for a striker who's in his late twenties and cost that sort of money, notwithstanding their superbly talented team (which has struggled for strikers over the last few years).

Clearly I'm in the minority here - I think he'll score a reasonable amount of goals, but never enough to compensate for his deficiencies, and ultimately be ousted from the squad within two years.

everyone has potential , if you saw defoe for the first time you would think he has potential.

one thing i do know is that when he was playing on his own for AvB , i watched him, dubbed the game...and watched him for entire an game (could only stomach the victories) and quite frankly i didnt see enough to think this guy was special. he is an alright striker from what i have seen in this country...and after hearing the fee was 13 million i am more than happy with what he has done.

i think he is learning from ade though, ever since ade been partnered with him up top he seems to be more involved...almost like doing things ade is doing ..just to a lesser degree

Getting into the Spanish side is difficult.

We can agree to disagree, but let's do this

- What's a reasonable amount of goals (total & PL) for you to believe he is a good buy?

So we can look at it at the end of season, I think he will surprise you. Btw, I never though Hutton was decent, but would take Walker over Naughton any day :) always though Berbatov/Bale were the real deal, wasn't sure with Carrick/Modric and my worse "ability guess" was probably Ronaldo, honestly thought the guy Manure bought was a one trick pony (see where that went)

have to say i am more inclined to agree with Truth is i add a calming factor to the post.

i might not agree to the level he is describing but am in general agreement with the theme.

Back