• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Official - Soldado

Decent hat trick tonight, I knew when I saw the line up we would grab a few and was glad he got on the scoresheet. Good link up play all game too

Shame he didnt take the penalty with his left foot and go for the perfect hattrick.

defoe to start against pool for me.

and solly wasnt injured was he? thought he got dropped

and to those saying solly would have scored bucket loads against sunderland, sorry but thats complete hear say.

No one knows if he would even get involved as much as defoe, no one knows if he would have made the same runs as defoe did, work for the team as defoe did and eventually get into those positions as defoe did.

who is to say he even gets his shot on target?

good hat trick today though LOL , didnt see much of him otherwise. I'd still start defoe at home to pool

Well Soldado has made the type of runs Defoe has several times this season and not been supplied, hes been waiting in the box for crosses to come over and they havent arrived and hes turned away in frustration. Lennon coming back is a massive factor. It's a pointless argument anyway, assuming we carry on playing the way we are beginning to Soldado will get the supply hes been craving and will show why all that money was spent...

lets hope, maybe his shots in the league wont go to row Z like the last one that was on a plate. Must have been a glitch in the matrix that time;)

Good to see the team set up to get the best out of Roberto today, albeit against poor quality opposition. Hopefully won't be too long until he scores a Premier League hat-trick... [-o<

@OptaJoe: 1 - Roberto Soldado's goal was his first-ever from open play at White Hart Lane for the Lilywhites (in all comps). Free.

@OptaJoe: 3 - Roberto Soldado has netted his first hat-trick since Oct 23 2012, when he bagged 3 for Valencia against BATE Borisov in the CL. Click.

@sandroraniere: congratulations guys... beautiful game tonight... soldadooo oooo soldadoo oooo...

‏@WhoScored: Roberto Soldado: MotM vs Anzhi, Rating 10, Goals 3, Shots 4, Tackles 2, Key Passes 2 http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/776801/Live … #THFC

His link up play has started to look better with every game. I get what you mean about Defoe getting more involved with his pace being more of a threat in behind the opposition but I have seen Soldado make a lot of un answered runs.

His link up play has started to look better with every game. I get what you mean about Defoe getting more involved with his pace being more of a threat in behind the opposition but I have seen Soldado make a lot of un answered runs.

i have as well and it always seems to be runs that require zidaneaque level passes to accomplish.

i dont know if its squad familiarity, actually that might be the case, but when those situations present themselves defoe either comes deep or pulls his defender wide..or he comes slightly short and asks for balls to feet. Prior to soldado coming i actually hated some of these things that defoe did cause it didnt offer much penetration runs that i thought would encourage forward passing through defenses...i am starting to consider now that maybe , just maybe, defoe knows the complete capability of his team mates enough so that he wont make runs he wont get

all i want is for soldado to not be a spectator , cause if you are then you better be 150% accurate otherwise what are you doing there?

and something else...i actually think soldado has it in him to have world class link up with his team mates. he seems to be very intelligent, at least when he actually touches the ball, with the ball in a supporting capacity...good layoffs, decent decisions on the pass during a play, and a decisive mannerism when he makes a choice to give the ball to someone else that is in a goal scoring position or is going there

my frustration stems from when he is just standing around , or running into places we cant get the ball to him...and he just seems to refuse to adjust.

i'm sure he is a good player, he just hasnt played well for me yet..not enough in one game anyway

i have as well and it always seems to be runs that require zidaneaque level passes to accomplish.

i dont know if its squad familiarity, actually that might be the case, but when those situations present themselves defoe either comes deep or pulls his defender wide..or he comes slightly short and asks for balls to feet. Prior to soldado coming i actually hated some of these things that defoe did cause it didnt offer much penetration runs that i thought would encourage forward passing through defenses...i am starting to consider now that maybe , just maybe, defoe knows the complete capability of his team mates enough so that he wont make runs he wont get

all i want is for soldado to not be a spectator , cause if you are then you better be 150% accurate otherwise what are you doing there?

and something else...i actually think soldado has it in him to have world class link up with his team mates. he seems to be very intelligent, at least when he actually touches the ball, with the ball in a supporting capacity...good layoffs, decent decisions on the pass during a play, and a decisive mannerism when he makes a choice to give the ball to someone else that is in a goal scoring position or is going there

my frustration stems from when he is just standing around , or running into places we cant get the ball to him...and he just seems to refuse to adjust.

i'm sure he is a good player, he just hasnt played well for me yet..not enough in one game anyway

Amen brother

I agree he hasn't been on top form but I do disagree with your assumption that his runs require Zidanesque passes. Tonight I counted 2-3 times when play broke down for Anzhi and the quick pass into the channel Soldado was running in was on and is wasn't a difficult pass. The player in possession either had their head down or was looking for the square pass. These are the runs that get unnoticed, Soldado is actually on the front foot the moment play breaks down. Im not saying every run is golden, but a lot just require the ball player to get his head up the moment he receives the ball.

that's an avb thing isn't it - seems that once we gain possession the goal is to keep possession and advance in a controlled fashion. soldado would do great in a team like arsenal where the goal is to put the ball through on the ground to the most forward player, at speed.

maybe his shots in the league wont go to row Z like the last one that was on a plate.

You use "shots" (plural) but that is literally the one chance he's missed all season. I suppose, in your opinion, all of Defoe's missed chances were harder to finish.

I really need to get back to using my laptop from time to time. I want to answer both your post here & the post about Holtby/Eriksen from earlier but typing on this phone restricts the level of answer that I'd like to give.

I will post at the weekend on both matters. I respect your opinions, I think you're an articulate poster who puts a lot of thinking behind his posts and feel you deserve more than just a quick passing of words in response to your posts.

I agree he hasn't been on top form but I do disagree with your assumption that his runs require Zidanesque passes. Tonight I counted 2-3 times when play broke down for Anzhi and the quick pass into the channel Soldado was running in was on and is wasn't a difficult pass. The player in possession either had their head down or was looking for the square pass. These are the runs that get unnoticed, Soldado is actually on the front foot the moment play breaks down. Im not saying every run is golden, but a lot just require the ball player to get his head up the moment he receives the ball.

you better tell that to gary neville, the top class footballer and analyst that watches solly carefully over 90 minutes and disagrees with you pretty badly

or strachan that says the inverted wingers are actually stunting his runs and crowding him out

just to re-iterate i do not ever think that we as fans are not allowed to disagree with pundits. far from it i remember having a very brief exchange with that spanish guy that covers la liga on his website...disagreed with him to his face...who cares

what i am saying is that please consider the possibility, IMO strong, that his runs are not well timed, sometimes none existent in the correct direction i.e poor, and that he isnt used to the pace of this league and how hot people defend. Then get all up in your anus in this league Chochise my man...they get up all up in dat aaazzzzzz

but yes i do see what you mean but also i would think that for us the run might look easier from a birds eye view. i also think that there is a reason defoe gets played in ALOT more than solly..that defoe receives the ball in more threatening areas than solly...that it looks like defoe is in with a chance at goal than solly or that defenders dont seem glued to defoe all the time like they are on solly

when he starts linking up then solly will be amazing

You use "shots" (plural) but that is literally the one chance he's missed all season. I suppose, in your opinion, all of Defoe's missed chances were harder to finish.

this is a complete mistake mate.
off the top of my head...the header at everton...open header...over the bar

hold on..i've just realised something you've said...he has missed just ONE shot all season?

so he has a 99% strike rate then? think about it hommie

welcome by the way, our acquaintance might very well be short lived but good to have you on board mate

I really need to get back to using my laptop from time to time. I want to answer both your post here & the post about Holtby/Eriksen from earlier but typing on this phone restricts the level of answer that I'd like to give.

I will post at the weekend on both matters. I respect your opinions, I think you're an articulate poster who puts a lot of thinking behind his posts and feel you deserve more than just a quick passing of words in response to your posts.

i love you too

Soldado I maintain was bought with the thought that we were going to have one more season of Bale.

I believe the team will learn how to supply him, AVB probably could have had a lot less pressure on both Soldado and himself if he had given Soldado a run in a few more of the Europa Cup games. He probably would have bagged another 3-5 goals and nobody would be questioning if he is/was a good buy. He has what 9 goals now? add another 3 to that before the midpoint of his first season of football in England and would people be saying anything?

Gary Neville analysed it brilliantly, but Soldado's displays was a symptom of how poorly we were playing. He was bad, but our perfomances as a whole were shocking. I agree with you that he is likely not used to how people defend in this league and that it is way more physical to what he is used to, but lets also be honest with the fact that he does make some damn good runs off the ball that don't get spotted. I'll also go on to say that up until the Emirates Marketing Project result our striker (be it Defoe or Soldado) has been completely negated by the over all team shape, always being isolated from the rest of the team (noted by many a pundit), fighting off two defenders, which neither of them can do. I watched Defoe vs West Ham and he was as ineffective as Soldado in many a game.

What has changed since the thrashing though is our style of play. Firstly we now have Paulinho or someone else right up with the striker to support him. Secondly we have Lennon keeping the width on the right, opening up all kinds of options. In the three games since then we have looked a better team and in two of those three games Defoe has started (against relegation scrappers). He looks better as a result of the team playing better, but we cannot say that no other striker would.

Defoe definately offers a different threat to Soldado. He has raw pace which threatens defenders and will always have a good mid range shot. That said he all too often looks at goal before contemplating whether or not someone is better positioned, something which pundits laud him for but is infuriating. Both sometimes make poor runs, runs hidden behind the defender that no one will spot, but you can't say that everything Defoe does is great and ignore the good things Soldado does do.

Gary Neville analysed it brilliantly, but Soldado's displays was a symptom of how poorly we were playing. He was bad, but our perfomances as a whole were shocking. I agree with you that he is likely not used to how people defend in this league and that it is way more physical to what he is used to, but lets also be honest with the fact that he does make some damn good runs off the ball that don't get spotted. I'll also go on to say that up until the Emirates Marketing Project result our striker (be it Defoe or Soldado) has been completely negated by the over all team shape, always being isolated from the rest of the team (noted by many a pundit), fighting off two defenders, which neither of them can do. I watched Defoe vs West Ham and he was as ineffective as Soldado in many a game.

What has changed since the thrashing though is our style of play. Firstly we now have Paulinho or someone else right up with the striker to support him. Secondly we have Lennon keeping the width on the right, opening up all kinds of options. In the three games since then we have looked a better team and in two of those three games Defoe has started (against relegation scrappers). He looks better as a result of the team playing better, but we cannot say that no other striker would.

Defoe definately offers a different threat to Soldado. He has raw pace which threatens defenders and will always have a good mid range shot. That said he all too often looks at goal before contemplating whether or not someone is better positioned, something which pundits laud him for but is infuriating. Both sometimes make poor runs, runs hidden behind the defender that no one will spot, but you can't say that everything Defoe does is great and ignore the good things Soldado does do.

Agree with most of that

- For me, Defoe is more likely to create something out of nothing with a bit of pace and his shooting, his con is he is very streaky re form, will have 6-7 good games then fall out of form, also is a bit of a flat track bully.
- Soldado (from what I've seen) needs service, no service = no goals, however if we create chances for him, I could see him putting them away all season long.

Ideally what I believe AVB wanted was JD for cup games where he will convert against poorer teams and Soldado for the PL. However to your point, poor shape, isolation of front man and lack of quick settling in by a few players has caused the shuffle/merry go round.

you better tell that to gary neville, the top class footballer and analyst that watches solly carefully over 90 minutes and disagrees with you pretty badly

or strachan that says the inverted wingers are actually stunting his runs and crowding him out

just to re-iterate i do not ever think that we as fans are not allowed to disagree with pundits. far from it i remember having a very brief exchange with that spanish guy that covers la liga on his website...disagreed with him to his face...who cares

what i am saying is that please consider the possibility, IMO strong, that his runs are not well timed, sometimes none existent in the correct direction i.e poor, and that he isnt used to the pace of this league and how hot people defend. Then get all up in your anus in this league Chochise my man...they get up all up in dat aaazzzzzz

but yes i do see what you mean but also i would think that for us the run might look easier from a birds eye view. i also think that there is a reason defoe gets played in ALOT more than solly..that defoe receives the ball in more threatening areas than solly...that it looks like defoe is in with a chance at goal than solly or that defenders dont seem glued to defoe all the time like they are on solly

when he starts linking up then solly will be amazing

And still just the one league goal this year, right?

As the team looked better in the last couple of games Defoe has been getting a couple of decent chances. I'm not quite sure that you can say that's because of what Defoe does and not just because as a team we played better. If Defoe was this much better, if he gets "gets played in ALOT more than solly" I would have expected him to score a few more goals this season and last.

Back