• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Official - Soldado

Not saying he enjoys it but the guys topping 6ft, would handle things in their better than Eriksen atm and would also add more of an attacking threat than Dembele and Paulinho. My main point though is that he does offer goals. Anyways Lampard plays alongside Mikel or Ramires in a deep two, although still gets into the box.

Enjoy probably isn't the right word, but he gets knocked off the ball too easily. He needs to toughen up a bit.

I agree he does get knocked off the ball but then on the other hand he isn't afraid to shoot (Dembele is), is accurate when shooting (Paulinho is wayward) and will get goals and assists.

Gordon Strachan made a good point after the Tromso game that playing inverted wingers forces Soldado to show for feet with his back to goal

I was confused about his purchase to begin with and the last few months haven't changed my mind. If you buy a 28 year old - for 2.8m or 28m - then they need to hit the ground running to justify their purchase as they're not going to be one for the future; yet buying someone who has thrived finishing moves to put him into a team in transition, in a new league, was never going to create instant goals.

Someone asked why does he keep making runs even when he's not found time and time again - it's because that's what is instinctive to him, that's what's worked for him for the last 4-5 years and breaking that habit to find other, more effective runs in the circumstance will take time and may not even work. It's that or he'll be waiting for our team to play like Valencia which may take some time...

We've seen so many talented players written off when they struggle to adapt to the league and it's far too early to say he'll be a total failure but by the time he hits his stride i do worry it will be too late - he's not a 22 year old with years to grow into his role. For someone like him to score goals he needs the team to be organised and cohesive, the build up play to move into the channels that he plays in rather than where we had so much luck with Bale last season, the final balls to start be played instinctively and with confidence rather than labored and late and he needs to allow for the added pace of the game and strength, speed and organisation of defenses in England to time his own runs to perfection. After all that he still needs to maintain the confidence and belief that led to him getting so many goals in Spain.

All that takes time and in the meantime we're playing with someone who doesn't have any attacking moves to finish and can't fashion something himself, it's frustrating and you can't help buy feel we'd have been better off buying a player that can compensate for the disjointed, lethargic build-up play we're putting together until next year when hopefully we'd have the settled side a finisher needs (assuming there's not the typical summer hunt for our top player).

I think either his purchase was made prior to it being clear Bale would be off, or AVB/Baldini underestimated the impact that such wholesale changes would have on the squad, and the difficulties he'd have fitting into a team that just isn't clicking. Swap him for Villa and i can't see us getting many more goals for the same reasons but swap him for berbatov/benteke etc and we'd get goals in spite of our poor play.

I was confused about his purchase to begin with and the last few months haven't changed my mind. If you buy a 28 year old - for 2.8m or 28m - then they need to hit the ground running to justify their purchase as they're not going to be one for the future; yet buying someone who has thrived finishing moves to put him into a team in transition, in a new league, was never going to create instant goals.

Someone asked why does he keep making runs even when he's not found time and time again - it's because that's what is instinctive to him, that's what's worked for him for the last 4-5 years and breaking that habit to find other, more effective runs in the circumstance will take time and may not even work. It's that or he'll be waiting for our team to play like Valencia which may take some time...

We've seen so many talented players written off when they struggle to adapt to the league and it's far too early to say he'll be a total failure but by the time he hits his stride i do worry it will be too late - he's not a 22 year old with years to grow into his role. For someone like him to score goals he needs the team to be organised and cohesive, the build up play to move into the channels that he plays in rather than where we had so much luck with Bale last season, the final balls to start be played instinctively and with confidence rather than labored and late and he needs to allow for the added pace of the game and strength, speed and organisation of defenses in England to time his own runs to perfection. After all that he still needs to maintain the confidence and belief that led to him getting so many goals in Spain.

All that takes time and in the meantime we're playing with someone who doesn't have any attacking moves to finish and can't fashion something himself, it's frustrating and you can't help buy feel we'd have been better off buying a player that can compensate for the disjointed, lethargic build-up play we're putting together until next year when hopefully we'd have the settled side a finisher needs (assuming there's not the typical summer hunt for our top player).

I think either his purchase was made prior to it being clear Bale would be off, or AVB/Baldini underestimated the impact that such wholesale changes would have on the squad, and the difficulties he'd have fitting into a team that just isn't clicking. Swap him for Villa and i can't see us getting many more goals for the same reasons but swap him for berbatov/benteke etc and we'd get goals in spite of our poor play.

=D>

I'd still like to know why we passed on Negredo last January who would have been CHEAPER, more suited to the hustle and bustle of the PL and would have given us another striking option when Defoe and Ade started drying up...we might even have made CL AND kept Bale:-"

I'd still like to know why we passed on Negredo last January who would have been CHEAPER, more suited to the hustle and bustle of the PL and would have given us another striking option when Defoe and Ade started drying up...we might even have made CL AND kept Bale:-"

Because the Board didnt trust AVB ;)

Was that ever confirmed as anything other than media speculation?

To be fair I think Soldado is someone we can get a good 3 or 4 seasons out of. His game isn't based on searing pace, it's based on the intelligence of his movement and accelerating in short bursts when necessary. He'll be able to do that for a few years yet and we will reap the benefits of it.

Gotta feel sorry for Soldado having to sit on the bench when AVB finally plays a line-up he would thrive in, that beauty of a through ball by Holtby which Defoe scuffed wide ](*,)

Not sure how to feel. Defoe seems to get in the position to score but can't finish in the league. Soldado seems the better finisher but either isn't making the right runs or his teammates can't find him.

One of them needs to step up.

Defoe over soldado,.....have said this so many times

dude gets involved= 10 outfield players

AS... Defoe gets involved AWAY FROM HOME. He does not get involved as much as Soldado does at the Lane...in fact Defoe is pretty useless at home nowadays.

Defoe over soldado,.....have said this so many times

dude gets involved= 10 outfield players

You use Defoes performance today as a reason to justify that?! Soldado would have scored more than once today and I would prefer that sort of 'getting involved'...

What a load of ********. No one knows if Soldado would have got in the same positions as Defoe to have them chances. I have backed soldado and he was one of the Strikers i wanted us to buy but he has not stepped up yet. Defoe makes chances for himself and can take on a player aswell as score from anywhere within 30 yards on his day.

What a load of ********. No one knows if Soldado would have got in the same positions as Defoe to have them chances. I have backed soldado and he was one of the Strikers i wanted us to buy but he has not stepped up yet. Defoe makes chances for himself and can take on a player aswell as score from anywhere within 30 yards on his day.

Well Soldado has made the type of runs Defoe has several times this season and not been supplied, hes been waiting in the box for crosses to come over and they havent arrived and hes turned away in frustration. Lennon coming back is a massive factor. It's a pointless argument anyway, assuming we carry on playing the way we are beginning to Soldado will get the supply hes been craving and will show why all that money was spent...

Happy to see him back, even happier to see a hat-trick on his return, hopefully now he will be ready for the weekend.

Back