• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Official - Soldado

Tbf fair to AVB he had a similar system at Porto where he played Falcao who is of a similar ilk to Soldado and that worked out rather well for him. The trouble is since Porto at both Chelsea and Tottenham he has tried to replicate a similar system with the same style of forward (Torres and Defoe) and both times he has had a change of heart and has reverted back to a forward that prefers to play with his back towards goal.

With the right type of service i don't doubt Soldado will score plenty of goals in this system, that said, i wouldn't mind seeing us change it up for a while and go 4-4-2.

Pfft he had Moutinho at Porto, thats all the service a striker needs. We have 2 guys that would rather try to run the ball into the goal than pass in Dembele and Paulinho.

That's 100% AVB's fault then. He knew the type of player he was getting when signing Soldado and still ok'd the deal and he's now trying to change his game...AT 28. He's a poacher and nothing else and it was clear as day when he played for Valencia.

Tbh i was certain this problem would arise and it's proven to be the case. We needed a striker that could make things happen for himself...someone that gets more involved in general play. Remy would have fitted better in our system, Benteke would have also...but signing a poacher and then proceeding to play a tactic where he doesn't get the ball in the 18 yard box is macaronic to say the least.

so was i, but people seemed to think we had like 5 or 6 players that could thread needles in our squad. complete fanstASY

I don't agree. Soldado is well suited to AVB's preferred system, the problem is that the three behind him (all of the variations) are not creating chances or supporting him.

i dont believe i am hearing this

let me ask you something. in as much detail as you can be arsed to give.

what is AVB's system? cause i think people dont actually know what it is. they juust see a variation of 433 and say "thats his system"

i'm dying to know the system that soldado is good at yet people are blaming the rest of the team for a guy that doesnt even know he has to drop deep as a lone striker to get involved and help buold up before making his move in the final third

and the question arises.

why arent these players supporting soldado?
they running on quick sand or something?
Are they completely dense and stupid that they cant see that we cant score and soldado is garbage for 11 games that they shouldnt support him constantly?
are they ignoring AVB's instructions to attack constantly?

i dont believe i am hearing this

let me ask you something. in as much detail as you can be arsed to give.

what is AVB's system? cause i think people dont actually know what it is. they juust see a variation of 433 and say "thats his system"

i'm dying to know the system that soldado is good at yet people are blaming the rest of the team for a guy that doesnt even know he has to drop deep as a lone striker to get involved and help buold up before making his move in the final third

and the question arises.

why arent these players supporting soldado?
they running on quick sand or something?
Are they completely dense and stupid that they cant see that we cant score and soldado is garbage for 11 games that they shouldnt support him constantly?
are they ignoring AVB's instructions to attack constantly?

I'm talking about the current system (4-2-3-1) but with the three behind the striker performing and a natural attacking left back.

I do not know the answers to the five questions at the end and I doubt anyone else on here does either.

I'm talking about the current system (4-2-3-1) but with the three behind the striker performing and a natural attacking left back.

I do not know the answers to the five questions at the end and I doubt anyone else on here does either.

thats a formation, not a system. we are playing that formation now and solly still looks like a horse in playing his trade in a brothel.

and those people are supporting him...at least the wide players are anyway...to support him anymore they would need to be in his position...its not as if support means touching the defenisve line. there is only so far that they can go before realistically expecting their team mates to get them the ball.

you see, smart players, confident and ballsy players, who have **** to do and a lot to prove to their opponents, actually get off getting involved. i mean they have orgasms for that stuff. if they aint seeing it..they are going to find it...they dont pass the buck.

i personally dont like that whole blaming everyone else. its true that we are playing some cagey and disturbingly boring stuff, but that guy can get involved in the battle...rather than staying there on that island waving his hands in dissapointment..shrugging his shoulders. your team mates are fighting out there and all you do is roll your eyes...get involved junior

thats a formation, not a system. we are playing that formation now and solly still looks like a horse in playing his trade in a brothel.

and those people are supporting him...at least the wide players are anyway...to support him anymore they would need to be in his position...its not as if support means touching the defenisve line. there is only so far that they can go before realistically expecting their team mates to get them the ball.

you see, smart players, confident and ballsy players, who have **** to do and a lot to prove to their opponents, actually get off getting involved. i mean they have orgasms for that stuff. if they aint seeing it..they are going to find it...they dont pass the buck.

i personally dont like that whole blaming everyone else. its true that we are playing some cagey and disturbingly boring stuff, but that guy can get involved in the battle...rather than staying there on that island waving his hands in dissapointment..shrugging his shoulders. your team mates are fighting out there and all you do is roll your eyes...get involved junior

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

If we can flog him back to Spain for 12 mil in January we'd have done well. Wrong player. Wrong league. Wrong price.

The big clubs wouldn't want him, and the rest can't afford him.
He's a £7m player now

****in hell - seriously? The guy is too good a finisher. We are just ****. Its not the players fault - IT. IS. THE. TACTICS.

****in hell - seriously? The guy is too good a finisher. We are just ****. Its not the players fault - IT. IS. THE. TACTICS.

Absolutely. Soldado is a superb striker that we are misusing in a criminal fashion.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

didnt expect you to to be honest. was more rant than anything

all i do suspect is that you dont actually know the system AVB likes, you much like 99% of us can only guess that because he played a formation in porto that was already set up that way and that blaming other people for soldado looking lost while absolving said player IMO is wrong...

Last edited:

Absolutely. Soldado is a superb striker that we are misusing in a criminal fashion.

he is not a superb striker..superb finisher maybe (am only going on hype and stats in a slow paced non physical league where players are allowed to look in the mirror and pose before doing their job)...but a superb striker i have to say he is not

i cant think of one superb striker right now that all they do is finish and nothing else...most of these guys get involved more than solly

actually you know what, can anyone name one amazing striker whose only trick is to finish really well?

didnt expect you to to be honest. was more rant than anything

all i do suspect is that you dont actually know the system AVB likes, you much like 99% of us can only guess that because he played a formation in porto that was already set up that way and that blaming other people for soldado looking lost while absolving said player IMO is wrong...

I think that we are talking at cross purposes. The point I was trying to make was that there is nothing in a 4-2-3-1 formation that means that it should be defensive or that the striker should be isolated. Blaming the formation or inverted wingers is a mistake in my view, there are plenty of teams around the world who play it, play it well, are attacking and easy on the eye.

There is not reason why inverted wingers should result in less opportunities for a striker and should mean that he gets more support. There is no denying that the formation and/or players are misfiring for us at the moment but that does not mean that it cannot work or that it is inherently defensive.

I'm not saying its defensive. But when you have 3 players all running into the same areas (aka towards the box from out wide) there is less space for your centre forward to exploit. Opposition fullbacks aren't stretched, theres no space between them and the centre halfs for Soldado. Equally there is no space for a so called play-maker to slide passes through

Unless you have Bale on the right, Ronaldo on the left (i.e players who pose a genuine goal threat when they come inside) it's a useless system IMO.

he is not a superb striker..superb finisher maybe (am only going on hype and stats in a slow paced non physical league where players are allowed to look in the mirror and pose before doing their job)...but a superb striker i have to say he is not

i cant think of one superb striker right now that all they do is finish and nothing else...most of these guys get involved more than solly

actually you know what, can anyone name one amazing striker whose only trick is to finish really well?

You are welcome to your opinion but I was delighted when we signed this guy. I have watched him for years in Spain and yes the guy can finish, which is what we would like our strikers to do I imagine. The 'he's not a striker he's a finisher' is a bit of a silly debate which I won't get into, but I'm sure the club had done some research into the player he was before buying him.

When I see Spurs play now a see a ring of players around the box and Soldado the sole option in it. Dropping deep to get involved in our rather laborious build up play would pretty much mean we have no-one in the box as noone is breaking past the striker at the moment. So in my opinion the real problem lies with our poor movement and our rather strange reluctance to try and pass the ball to those few runs that are made.

Falcao.

I'm not saying its defensive. But when you have 3 players all running into the same areas (aka towards the box from out wide) there is less space for your centre forward to exploit. Opposition fullbacks aren't stretched, theres no space between them and the centre halfs for Soldado. Equally there is no space for a so called play-maker to slide passes through

Unless you have Bale on the right, Ronaldo on the left (i.e players who pose a genuine goal threat when they come inside) it's a useless system IMO.

Isn't that the idea behind attacking full backs, to force the opposition full back to make a choice of which one to track?

If it requires players of the quality of Bale and Ronaldo to be successful, how come it is probably the predominant style in modern football? Few sides are blessed with players of that quality but many coaches still see it as being more effective then conventional wingers.

You are welcome to your opinion but I was delighted when we signed this guy. I have watched him for years in Spain and yes the guy can finish, which is what we would like our strikers to do I imagine. The 'he's not a striker he's a finisher' is a bit of a silly debate which I won't get into, but I'm sure the club had done some research into the player he was before buying him.

When I see Spurs play now a see a ring of players around the box and Soldado the sole option in it. Dropping deep to get involved in our rather laborious build up play would pretty much mean we have no-one in the box as noone is breaking past the striker at the moment. So in my opinion the real problem lies with our poor movement and our rather strange reluctance to try and pass the ball to those few runs that are made.

Falcao.

Huge fear in trying something and it not coming off. Possession and 'Control' at all costs. Dwell on the ball or pass it backwards instead.
That is the AVB system.

Pretty sure avb's tactic is not to purposefully not create chances for Soldado, he's suffering because the attacking midfielders are not doing the business,once we get a bit cuter around the box the chances will come.

I think people are seeing some things that are not working yet and assuming it's the finished article.

Huge fear in trying something and it not coming off. Possession and 'Control' at all costs. Dwell on the ball or pass it backwards instead.
That is the AVB system.

I think you are right. It has to be something he is drilling into them. Keep possession and the chance will come or some **** like that, but the chances aren't coming.

Falcao.

you just mentioned falcoa....one guy that works a back line all by himself.

disagree with that 100%....

solly cant even get in the same building from what i have seen

your assumption is that is no one breaks behind the guy that drops deep? how do you know that will hapen? and actually under redknapp when we had crouch that was our main problem..in that it was always just crouch in the box initially but with a trailing VDV...

believe it or not..adebayor had the same issue last year....didnt stop him getting involved in build up

i cant wait to see the big thing about this guy in the premiership in our system

speaking of which , i like the way you talk about research prior to purchase therefore all is well and good. which means that everyone that we have bought does exactly what they should be doing and everything should be working well? yes?

Back