• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Richarlison

Richy was absolutely on it yesterday, so good to see, we definitely seem more at it when he plays, gives us more energy and bit up top.

I know we all debate the nastiness and intensity of Romero etc, but having those two at both ends make us a much more competitive prospect at times in my opinion
He stayed on his feet much more than mid week
There was a random bit of play when he went down out right lost the ball, fought hard to win it back then put in an ok cross
I said to my mate that’s him in a nutshell
What he lacks in finesse he makes up for in effort
What he can lack in skill he makes up for in desire
He needs more games now

Maybe the PL should be implementing the offsides system used during the World Cup: a chip in the ball with accelerometer, so that precise moment when the ball is struck will be the moment the offside lines will be drawn. Of course, there should be thickness to the line to account for error because it's still not perfect, but at least that way the subjective decisions are removed.

The technology is there, and I agree that VAR should be more transparent. Why are they in some trailer away from all the proceedings? I'm not saying their station should be located under the stadium urinal run-offs, but I wonder why it isn't at least visible like a terrarium.

It was only recently (90s i think) that a player could be level. Before that they had to be behind.

Not a dig or anything. Just found it interesting. Used to be behind. Now level. But people now want a thicker line (so basically slightly infront).

It was only recently (90s i think) that a player could be level. Before that they had to be behind.

Not a dig or anything. Just found it interesting. Used to be behind. Now level. But people now want a thicker line (so basically slightly infront).
Yeh, interestingly though that rule (including where the defending two players should be) changed because of a lack of goals, now we are losing goals because of a hair and a fingernail decision so it's probably right that thr rules change again to counter what appears to be a step back in punishment on the attacking player.

They could also do with being consistent in the body area they measure both players from, consistency certainly helps

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Yeh, interestingly though that rule (including where the defending two players should be) changed because of a lack of goals, now we are losing goals because of a hair and a fingernail decision so it's probably right that thr rules change again to counter what appears to be a step back in punishment on the attacking player.

They could also do with being consistent in the body area they measure both players from, consistency certainly helps

It’s not even the body area
The technology has a margin of error of 15cms with a fast moving person
If two players are going in opposite directions that’s 30cms… a ft in old language
That’s a big gap to miss because someone is drawing lines
And as we all know, it’s chalking off tiny tiny calls but the tech isn’t being used for much more important ones like diving, shirt pulling even something as clear and basic as foil throws. Elements where rules are being broken intentionally

Last edited:
It’s mark even the body area
The technology has a margin of error of 15cms with a fast moving person
If two players are going in opposite directions that’s 30cms… a ft in old language
That’s a big gap to miss because someone is drawing lines
And as we all know, it’s chalking off tiny tiny calls but the tech isn’t being used for much more important ones like diving, shirt pulling even something as clear and basic as foil throws. Elements where rules are being broken intentionally

Yeh, there are so many holes in the use of VAR regardless of "whats in the rules of use" its actually that part that makes it a terrible tool

Prior to that it use to 2 defenders between attacker and goalkeeper, think it was in the 30's they changed it.

A lot of that is down to the inconsistency with refs, they make a big song and dance about painting the pitch near the box and let freekicks get taken 10 yards away from incident in other areas, some let quick freekicks others dont you can usually go for a walk when taking a throwin, doesn't bother them and who gives a toss what the fans think. Most fans know the players who will commit the tactical fouls and be frequent offenders yet these players get away with it every week and others get booked for 1st foul when there is no danger to other player, yet refs seem blind to this. Then they wonder why no one respects them.

A lot of that is down to the inconsistency with refs, they make a big song and dance about painting the pitch near the box and let freekicks get taken 10 yards away from incident in other areas, some let quick freekicks others dont you can usually go for a walk when taking a throwin, doesn't bother them and who gives a toss what the fans think. Most fans know the players who will commit the tactical fouls and be frequent offenders yet these players get away with it every week and others get booked for 1st foul when there is no danger to other player, yet refs seem blind to this. Then they wonder why no one respects them.

I don't disagree, my issue with VAR is that there will always be refs behind the screen and a politics with those on the pitch due to the refs union, also human error.

Thats why I keep droning on about leaving the whole system to fact and just let the refs mess up the rest on pitch rather than it be messed up and delayed with two...

No, most people want a margin of error

- It has basically been proven (Cambridge study) that the technology isn't accurate enough AND the ref often picks the wrong frame
- It that model, considering the change in the rule was to give the attacker the advantage

The only obvious answer is unless it's clearly (sub 10 seconds, not needing to "look" for the one out of 6 frames/views that match your agenda, not overlapping line flimflam) offside, the goal should stand.

And VAR shouldn't fudging interfere, no one on field, not the ref, not Forest players, no one in the stadium thought it was offside, yet VAR had to jump in? (again, when it was absolutely NOT a clear offside)

No, most people want a margin of error

- It has basically been proven (Cambridge study) that the technology isn't accurate enough AND the ref often picks the wrong frame
- It that model, considering the change in the rule was to give the attacker the advantage

The only obvious answer is unless it's clearly (sub 10 seconds, not needing to "look" for the one out of 6 frames/views that match your agenda, not overlapping line flimflam) offside, the goal should stand.

And VAR shouldn't fudging interfere, no one on field, not the ref, not Forest players, no one in the stadium thought it was offside, yet VAR had to jump in? (again, when it was absolutely NOT a clear offside)

Personally think var should be scrapped.

What margin of error should we have for handballs, trips and shirt pulling?

For handballs it should be if it prevented a goal scoring opportunity. None of this hitting someone's hand while bouncing up and they are on the corner of a packed 18 yard box nonsense. If you put your arm out and stop a clear shot or cross to an attacker then yeah fair enough but it's gotten way out of hand (lol).

Shirt pulling annoys me, as does preventing a quick free kick/kicking the ball away etc. Both should be an automatic yellow.

Edit: I know you were discussing offside but I have nothing to add to that debate haha

Last edited:
I think most football fans would rather have a nanometer offside goal stand, than having a nanometer onside goal disallowed. Should be simple, but if VAR needs help from both NASA and CERN to triangulate lines and positions in space and time down to subatomic level to decide whether it's a goal or not, get rid.

I think most football fans would rather have a nanometer offside goal stand, than having a nanometer onside goal disallowed. Should be simple, but if VAR needs help from both NASA and CERN to triangulate lines and positions in space and time down to subatomic level to decide whether it's a goal or not, get rid.

You have to draw a line somewhere. No matter how thick. A millimetre over will be offside.

You have to draw a line somewhere. No matter how thick. A millimetre over will be offside.
I think they should just increase the margin of error a bit more in favour of the attacker. I think the lines aren't necessarily always drawn from exactly the right place and the frame chosen to draw the line can never be fully accurate. Make the lines a little thicker and draw the attacking and defending players' lines so that it favours the attacker (i.e. the attackers line stretches away from the opposition's goal and the defenders line stretches towards their own goal). Then make any overlap in the lines onside. That way I don't think anyone would actually notice that an 'offside' goal was scored, I mean ones like Richarlison's at the weekend or Barnes' goal against us a few weeks ago.

We live in hope.

I think they should just increase the margin of error a bit more in favour of the attacker. I think the lines aren't necessarily always drawn from exactly the right place and the frame chosen to draw the line can never be fully accurate. Make the lines a little thicker and draw the attacking and defending players' lines so that it favours the attacker (i.e. the attackers line stretches away from the opposition's goal and the defenders line stretches towards their own goal). Then make any overlap in the lines onside. That way I don't think anyone would actually notice that an 'offside' goal was scored, I mean ones like Richarlison's at the weekend or Barnes' goal against us a few weeks ago.

Exactly, I mean if you are having to go down to a 3-5 minute judgement call in a game that is human v human and all that includes as a sport over 90 mins, then its probably too much. Also given that we have this so called tech to help we also have to develop our thinking behind it in that in a sport that includes one team going in the opposite direction as the other that body position needs to be rethought in my opinion. If a striker is running in one direction and a defender the opposite I honestly believe the use of lines on the body are a misrepresentation of the game we all know. I mean yeh you will have players push up to catch players offside, but it comes down to a sleeve of each player and not maybe a central point of each player, which I think is probably fairer than penalising a player pointing to where he wants the ball.

Its a system that certainly needs refining beyond the idea that everything is so black and white and you take out the actual mechanics and things that happen in the game

Last edited:
Back