• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Preseason 2014

Who do you think will keep their place, come wham, from yesterdays line up?

Soldado had a nice touch in the buildup to the first goal. He's always looked technically good. I think he'll play. Could Ade play as one of the three behind?

How was Rose? Poch has some work to do with the first choice back four, who every they may be.

Soldado had a nice touch in the buildup to the first goal. He's always looked technically good. I think he'll play. Could Ade play as one of the three behind?

How was Rose? Poch has some work to do with the first choice back four, who every they may be.

Impossible to say who will/won't keep their place for the WHam game really.

No I don't think Ade can play in behind (and I think that he will be Pochetino's first choice CF anyway.

Rose was probably our best defender last night.

Soldado wasn't on the pitch when we scored our first. Rose was ok, cleared one off the line and tried to attack. Hard to say who will keep their place for West Ham, if you were to base it off yesterday's game then Holtby, Ceballos and Falque would all be playing but it's unlikely the latter two are anywhere near the pitch come the first day of the season. I think Dawson has well and truly blown any chance of Poch wanting to keep him though.

Soldado wasn't on the pitch when we scored our first. Rose was ok, cleared one off the line and tried to attack. Hard to say who will keep their place for West Ham, if you were to base it off yesterday's game then Holtby, Ceballos and Falque would all be playing but it's unlikely the latter two are anywhere near the pitch come the first day of the season. I think Dawson has well and truly blown any chance of Poch wanting to keep him though.

Cheers. Was it Townsend who makes the run, and clips the ball back? Edit: looks like Lennon.

Mr 852 you are the best.

Last edited:
What I thought we where going to tip tap teams to death?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk

Never watchd a Poc team before?

I think there's a huge disconnect from the football Pochettino's team play and what people expect.
In the other thread people are getting carried away about a few quotes he has made about attacking football. AVB made the exact same quotes.

People are treating a new young manager coming in the same way the overrate every young signing we make.

Pochettino might work out. He most likely won't. I'm not expecting much.
More of the same physical running midfield with no craft or vision strggling to score at home against defensive team and being a good counter attacking away team.

I beg to disagree @Modric THFC. Even in yesterdays game, being our first game, you could clearly see a more forward facing team than under AVB. There was a lot of movment going FORWARD, and runs into the box. All that was totally missing under AVB, when we had 8 players outside the box, passing sideways. I saw a lot of positive passing and moving in the game, and you could clearly see that there was a plan. Pressing high and winning the ball back as quickly as possible was clearly the task. Not perfectly executed, obviously, but never the less I think it's reason enough to expect a better and more entertaining type of football. I'd rather take a 3-3 than a 0-0!

All I saw yesterday was that when you put players on who like to pass forward, you get more forward passing. Players like lamela, falque and cellabos, who weren't always involved with Avb's team for various reasons.

I think it had little to do with poch, and more to do simply with the personnel that were employed. As last year, there were a significant number of times that there wasn't enough movement amongst the players, but it's difficult to say how much of that is just fitness and match sharpness.

It's a bit pointless to claim things about poch's style with us based on one game. You need at least three to draw any conclusions and pull out any trends, and even then they will be tenuous, as we're missing key personnel which will undoubtedly affect how we're going to play.

I think there's a huge disconnect from the football Pochettino's team play and what people expect.
In the other thread people are getting carried away about a few quotes he has made about attacking football. AVB made the exact same quotes.

People are treating a new young manager coming in the same way the overrate every young signing we make.

Pochettino might work out. He most likely won't. I'm not expecting much.
More of the same physical running midfield with no craft or vision strggling to score at home against defensive team and being a good counter attacking away team.

I think we'll see a faster tempo version of AVB's team, with a bit more crossing and direct passes, hopefully leading to more chances created and more goals.

I just really, really hope that we are better at defending, both as a complete team and the back 4 alone. For all the negtives in attack under AVB, is was poor defending that did for him.

What I thought we where going to tip tap teams to death?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk

All I saw yesterday was that when you put players on who like to pass forward, you get more forward passing. Players like lamela, falque and cellabos, who weren't always involved with Avb's team for various reasons.

I think it had little to do with poch, and more to do simply with the personnel that were employed. As last year, there were a significant number of times that there wasn't enough movement amongst the players, but it's difficult to say how much of that is just fitness and match sharpness.

It's a bit pointless to claim things about poch's style with us based on one game. You need at least three to draw any conclusions and pull out any trends, and even then they will be tenuous, as we're missing key personnel which will undoubtedly affect how we're going to play.

I just dont think we have the central midfielders to play any other way. Unless he puts his trust in Eriksen or Carroll in the middle (or bring someone in) and ships out all the non footballers we have there. There's only so much he can do with the current midfield mess.

I just dont think we have the central midfielders to play any other way. Unless he puts his trust in Eriksen or Carroll in the middle (or bring someone in) and ships out all the non footballers we have there. There's only so much he can do with the current midfield mess.

Probably why we're being linked to Morgan Schneiderlin. Hopefully if that doesn't materialize Poch and Baldini will have more targets on their list to bring passing midfielders into the squad and first team.

Probably why we're being linked to Morgan Schneiderlin. Hopefully if that doesn't materialize Poch and Baldini will have more targets on their list to bring passing midfielders into the squad and first team.

Schneiderlin? We need someone who can create something from the middle of the pitch. Schneiderlin attempted 3 through balls all last season.
Reminds me of when Dembele was the answer.

Still early days, but you could already see a better pass and move setup imo. At times there were some fluid interchanges. And a clear emphasis on passing then moving into space, with one twos. Its not rocket science, but what a relief. Since HR really, we've relied on individual runs too much and not been a good passing side. Now hopefully we'll see individual dribbling and skill with intelligent passes and movement.

Defensive will come first, without two upfront, but it makes sense. We need to have that strong defensive foundation.

Capoue had the touch of a player who'd been out a year. He needs to get upto speed before he's considered first choice.

The defence not yet happy with their role passing the ball. Its not Daw's game, he didn't look comfortable. But its early days.

We have some really decent young players coming through. None are finished article, but all show some specific ability - either great pace, passing, or technically impressive.

Lamela, like Capoue, hasn't played much in a year. I don't think he will be spectacular instantly, and I hope there is not too much pressure on him to deliver £30m worth of ability. He's one for the future. What you could see was a hint of his ability. Some lovely touches and control of the ball when moving fast. Not everything came off for him, he just needs to be patient, it will come.

Last edited:
Schneiderlin? We need someone who can create something from the middle of the pitch. Schneiderlin attempted 3 through balls all last season.
Reminds me of when Dembele was the answer.

Maybe the plan is to drop Eriksen in just ahead of them. Or Holtby.

I love Bentaleb too. Really it's just Capoue and Paulinho I'm struggling to get on board with in that central midfield position.

I was quite impressed with Veljkovic last night actually. Anyone else?

He looked really composed, quite "continental" in style too.

I thought Holtby looked one of the better players yesterday. I think he'll be pushing for a starting spot. He needs to be playing consistently to develop now. Good enthusiasm, energy and passing.

Back