• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre Season 2024

One cause for concern for me is perhaps not new or strange. We will be in at least 4 completions; the PL, FA Cup, League Cup, and the Europa Cup. These players will also be playing for their nations. I hope the squad is capable of giving a good showing consistently during the season.
We've still got about 35 players around our first team squad. The bigger issue is the 17 OS player limit - we are going to have to trust the youngsters in the cups, which will be a really positive thing

Screenshot_20240803_212056_Firefox.jpg

Forgot where I got this from...note that the the average age of the team last season was still very young ( I think 24 / 25 years?) and I expect this list to look very different at the end of next season.

Blimey, I remember the days when pre season meant absolutely nothing except fitness benefits. Now all of a sudden most of our established stars aren't good enough and our youth players are ten times better and ready to take the PL by storm.

Looking forward to the U20s team Ange is going to put out on the opening day. Modern day football eh....

Spot on and i agree, pre season is all about gaining fitness and bringing in new players and trying to get them to adapt to the other players around them. Sadly i think a lot of fans in todays world put far to much importance into the results of these games.

I think everyone is being overly harsh here. The weather has been absolutely brutal for the past two weeks. It’s no exaggeration to say that I was sweating just sitting watching the game. These guys have been doing double sessions, they’ve been all over town doing different PR events, signing sessions and GHod knows what else. They’ve been living in hotels away from family and restricted in what they can do. This was them after training yesterday:

And that’s not to mention we’re still missing Udgoie, Romero, VDV and Richarlison. Players have been playing out of position, water breaks and substitutions constantly interrupting the flow of play (particularly the second half, which definitely helped us against Bayern yesterday, creating the illusion that “the kids are better.”)

I think the trip will have a hugely positive effect on fitness and the team bond but these games were never really about performances and results. Pre-season never is.
Spot on.

Just to add to your really good points...

Bayern came with what looked to me like a really good high pressing setup and executed that really well. They will surely be planning for this kind of high pressing to cause real problems even for the biggest teams around this coming season.

We know we struggled a bit with that kind of pressing even with most of our strongest 11 out there last season.

Unsurprising that we struggled with that. Missing several of the players that have been absolutely vital for us dealing with that in the past.

Even just adding Romero to that setup I think would have made a real difference. But it is a slight concern that we don't have another CB with his qualities on the ball to call upon.

Spot on.

Just to add to your really good points...

Bayern came with what looked to me like a really good high pressing setup and executed that really well. They will surely be planning for this kind of high pressing to cause real problems even for the biggest teams around this coming season.

We know we struggled a bit with that kind of pressing even with most of our strongest 11 out there last season.

Unsurprising that we struggled with that. Missing several of the players that have been absolutely vital for us dealing with that in the past.

Even just adding Romero to that setup I think would have made a real difference. But it is a slight concern that we don't have another CB with his qualities on the ball to call upon.

I think Bayern played with a higher intensity than us which may have been due to our training and time in heat of Asia and they certainly put some very committed tackles on our players, I don't have a problem as it gives players a wake up call but the refs must ensure players don't get injured in these "friendlies"

I think Bayern played with a higher intensity than us which may have been due to our training and time in heat of Asia and they certainly put some very committed tackles on our players, I don't have a problem as it gives players a wake up call but the refs must ensure players don't get injured in these "friendlies"

A week before, Bayern had just drew to a team that they should have comfortably beaten.
So was likely that Kompany prioritized a win more than anything against us, while we are still deep in fitness training.

game report from the Bayern website:

1722840708254.png

Next game will be interesting, especially if we get to see Kane v Romero :)

Ange Postecoglou has confirmed that Destiny Udogie is set to feature in Saturday's Visit Malta Cup pre-season encounter with Bayern Munich at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Richalison has trained, but not expected to play a part in this game. Will be interesting to see what youngsters still make the squad with more senior players available

Ange Postecoglou has confirmed that Destiny Udogie is set to feature in Saturday's Visit Malta Cup pre-season encounter with Bayern Munich at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Richalison has trained, but not expected to play a part in this game. Will be interesting to see what youngsters still make the squad with more senior players available

Good news for us as i think he can be a big player for us this season.

I am guessing Ange will probably not start too many youngsters again, despite them being more deserving IMO. Either way, this pre-season has been a testament to the youth team and their coaching staff. And I know Moore's birthday is on Sunday but that would be a real present to be given a start for this last friendly. I use the word 'present' dubiously since it's not really a gift; he's earning it.

Probably be my last game at Tottenham today been going since 1958 and my first game we beat Bolton 4-1 be nice if it was the same today, Arthritis, eyesight, travel and fans make it a chore rather than a good day out for me now.

Had some great time at WHL with family and friends particularly with my dad as to be honest I only went to games at first to be with him and share his interest, looking back I was a right little brick as soon as I was a teenager I dropped him and went with my mates.

The new stadium is great but it has never felt like home to me, but I expect it just nostalgia clouding my feelings.

Have to make do with watching on tele, following on the net or even listening to the fearful radio commentaries, at least I'll be warm and be able to watch with a beer in my hand and get to toilet quickly, big bonuses no moaning idiots behind me and Sunday lunch at a proper time.

Probably be my last game at Tottenham today been going since 1958 and my first game we beat Bolton 4-1 be nice if it was the same today, Arthritis, eyesight, travel and fans make it a chore rather than a good day out for me now.

Had some great time at WHL with family and friends particularly with my dad as to be honest I only went to games at first to be with him and share his interest, looking back I was a right little brick as soon as I was a teenager I dropped him and went with my mates.

The new stadium is great but it has never felt like home to me, but I expect it just nostalgia clouding my feelings.

Have to make do with watching on tele, following on the net or even listening to the fearful radio commentaries, at least I'll be warm and be able to watch with a beer in my hand and get to toilet quickly, big bonuses no moaning idiots behind me and Sunday lunch at a proper time.
Will be a lot of Sunday games this year for sure
Had that chat with the missus yesterday as we make plans for kids parties and stuff
It’s a different venue to WHL for sure and it’s more fluid wit6 people coming and going a lot more
I’ve been going since I was 4 and I’m 48 in a week. It’s never the same but it can be better.
I fully agree about the moaning fans by the way. No matter where I sit you hear it.
In my ST seat there are several who go to every game convinced we’re losing yet they are with an old fella who is always super positive

Sadly i think a lot of fans in todays world put far to much importance into the results of these games.
People should have learned their lesson after seeing Darren Bent scoring twice the amount of goals in one pre season than in the rest of his entire career with us.

Back