• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre Season 2024

Pretty much, except we played well in the 1st half today. And, like last season, we play some brilliant football, score good goals, and concede really poor goals. I know we haven't played with our centre backs, but that didn't help last season. We still conceded really poor goals.
Much as I’ve enjoyed our attacking play in these pre season games our defending does worry me a lot!

Much as I’ve enjoyed our attacking play in these pre season games our defending does worry me a lot!

As 80% of that personal will not be our first choices when season starts I don't see it's a problem. With this manager the idea is to score more than your opponents, I like that, there will be days when we fail but better to fail trying to win than win boring everyone to death, only a few days ago virtually everyone was moaning about Southgate doing that.

Even with our full defence last season we are very open to counter attacks. Think once we are playing the way ange wants. Moving the ball quickly forwards he will tinker with it a bit.
We shall see
I think we were iron to counters because we attacked
But we had massive issues with CF ball retention
That has to change
It’s been better with the temporary fix (I assume) of Kulu

We shall see
That has to change

Gray is quite good at coming out and killing stuff, he's also decent in the air (and area our midfield is poor at). I could see him taking the 6 role in a lot of games.

Some combination of Gray, Sarr, Bissouma, Bergvall, Deki (in middle role) should make the midfield a little harder to walk through.

We shall see
That has to change

I think you put way too much emphasis on that. Obviously it doesn’t help but the defence still have to do their jobs and defend and we looked far too open and played too high up the pitch. I think we’re going to have to accept it’s a trade off with how Ange plays and even with the best CF in the world we will still concede lots of goals.

I think you put way too much emphasis on that. Obviously it doesn’t help but the defence still have to do their jobs and defend and we looked far too open and played too high up the pitch. I think we’re going to have to accept it’s a trade off with how Ange plays and even with the best CF in the world we will still concede lots of goals.
Have to be vulnerable somewhere and somehow whatever system we play. May as well be vulnerable to the thing most of our defenders thrive at defending against.

I do think ball retention in the final third would be useful to improve upon. Strikers or wingers, a player or two that's not as much of a "go direct or nothing" as a few of ours are. But I don't think the impact of that on our goals against will be all that great. But it would help us.

It’s not a trade off if we have a CF who at least occupies the CBS
As I repeatedly said … last year we were weak as fudge up top because our CF options were thin.
If we have Cf who doesn’t keep the ball but keeps the opposition CBs busy we have a chance.
Not that anyone wants to go back and watch the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game but the counters came from our CF not playing against their centre backs and losing it along with our number 10… toss play in the wrong areas
A proper CF wouldn’t do that as they wouldn’t be in that position

It’s not a trade off if we have a CF who at least occupies the CBS
As I repeatedly said … last year we were weak as fudge up top because our CF options were thin.
If we have Cf who doesn’t keep the ball but keeps the opposition CBs busy we have a chance.
Not that anyone wants to go back and watch the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game but the counters came from our CF not playing against their centre backs and losing it along with our number 10… toss play in the wrong areas
A proper CF wouldn’t do that as they wouldn’t be in that position

Still think you’re overegging it. The forward line as a whole needs upgrading and we don’t have a bona fide first choice CM or arguably DM. I don’t want to get into this debate again but Son chipped in with his share of goals last season. I do accept he’s not peak Son anymore and his position as much as the other forwards shouldn’t be automatic first choice. The defenders still have to actually defend when they have to. It doesn’t look like they relish it as much as CB’s we’ve had previously like Toby and Jan who would essentially be like ok I need TP for my bunghole it’s our job to defend. You mention the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game and VDV got his arse handed to him by Isaak, nothing to do with Son.

Still think you’re overegging it. The forward line as a whole needs upgrading and we don’t have a bona fide first choice CM or arguably DM. I don’t want to get into this debate again but Son chipped in with his share of goals last season. I do accept he’s not peak Son anymore and his position as much as the other forwards shouldn’t be automatic first choice. The defenders still have to actually defend when they have to. It doesn’t look like they relish it as much as CB’s we’ve had previously like Toby and Jan who would essentially be like ok I need TP for my bunghole it’s our job to defend. You mention the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game and VDV got his arse handed to him by Isaak, nothing to do with Son.

You make some good points and i tend to agree on most of them, however for me our main weekness is the DM player as i have seen nothing really to think we have someone who can do the job in most games.

You make some good points and i tend to agree on most of them, however for me our main weekness is the DM player as i have seen nothing really to think we have someone who can do the job in most games.

I agree. Bissouma was a bit of an enigma, fantastic in the first 10 games but also picked up stupid bookings and sendings off. Not sure he’s good enough on the ball for what we need.

I agree. Bissouma was a bit of an enigma, fantastic in the first 10 games but also picked up stupid bookings and sendings off. Not sure he’s good enough on the ball for what we need.

Yep, Biss was the same at Brighton he looks good at times but others he seems to lack the concentration to be a top player. He has skill for sure but he will be 28 in a couple of weeks and i am not sure he will change his game.

What about gray?

Of course he could be the missing link player we need in out CM, however having worked with young players through the FA coaching scheme the one thing that stands out usually [ and often] is that young players can be inconsistant, i hope he does not turn out like that but we can not [or should not] expect him to be the finished articule just yet. [ WE CAN LIVE IN HOPE THOUGH].

Yeah true…ish but not totally true. Have a look at who loses the ball in the CF position that starts their counter attack for their first goal. This is what Bedford is referring to I think.

Anyway can’t fully blame Son for that goal, it’s normal for a CF to lose the ball in that position. But our tactics were suicidal. Losing the ball in the opposition penalty area shouldn’t result in one pass leading to direct pressure on our goal. It’s not like we were down and chasing the game. We were way too open. And the less said about Udogie and VDV’s defending there the better!

He did
Because son lost it
Repeatedly
Shockingly bad play
Well worth watching back
Because if you do you can see that if son cAn pass the ball better in aught space the counters don’t happen
And that doesn’t excuse VDV
We could have the best midfield in the world but if your CF can’t do the basics a CF does you will struggle
Look at Spain in the euros. Their CF worked every team but didn’t score uh because he is actually not great at that.
That gave everyone a focal point for their play and it worked
It’s that simple as to why I think a CF is the priority
Our midfield is Very good imo
Our wide options create plenty
But if the CF is not in the area or the box it’s pointless

Yeah true…ish but not totally true. Have a look at who loses the ball in the CF position that starts their counter attack for their first goal. This is what Bedford is referring to I think.

Anyway can’t fully blame Son for that goal, it’s normal for a CF to lose the ball in that position. But our tactics were suicidal. Losing the ball in the opposition penalty area shouldn’t result in one pass leading to direct pressure on our goal. It’s not like we were down and chasing the game. We were way too open. And the less said about Udogie and VDV’s defending there the better!
It’s not normal for a CF to be on the edge of the area when we’re deep in their half. He should be in the box at least
The issue with son is he can’t play without space and you don’t get space against low blocks …. So he needs to play wide where he can have more room to impact
It’s why I think Ange has moved Kulu central now over son. He gives the gives the team presence and a focal point that works (small sample)

Yep, Biss was the same at Brighton he looks good at times but others he seems to lack the concentration to be a top player. He has skill for sure but he will be 28 in a couple of weeks and i am not sure he will change his game.
Bissouma had Caicedo next to him as well at Brighton, who I thought was the player we should've gone for instead of Bissouma (I was still happy with Bissouma though).

Back