• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Praise for the Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutter Boy

Tim Sherwood
I think yesterday's win needs to be dedicated to two men.

For decades our academy was dreadful - King, Campbell, Carr, Barmby - the handful of exceptions over a 20 year period.

Then yesterday we lined up against Chelsea's £200m team with 5 homegrown academy players in the starting lineup (3 of whom scored). And not only are they in our team (and keeping out nearly £100m of talent), but they are clearly excellently developed players - technical, skilful, hardworking and really tough.

The person who first initiated the overhaul of the academy was actually Arnesen. Almost his first act in 2004 was to appoint John McDermott as new Academy Director. McDermott is the guy who rung the changes and installed a whole new philosophy across the academy. McDermott also appointed a new senior academy coach to be his number 2 - Alex Inglethorpe. Inglethorpe coached the famous 'class of 2009' (including Townsend, Rose, Mason and Caulker) to the youth cup final. Inglethorpe has since moved on to bigger things - he's now doing McDermott's job at Liverpool. But yesterday was the fruition of a decade of work by the pair of them

So Poch is fantastic, but I think yesterday's win should really be dedicated to McDermott and Inglethorpe

487.jpg

5393.JPG

Definitely deserves a lot of credit!

And remember we've also produced other PL level players like Caulker and Tom Carroll in that time. With a new group doing well on loan in the Championship now in Veljkovic, Fredricks, Pritchard...

And Josh Onomah got in his first match day squad in the EL this season. Winks has been on the pitch. Just two of a very promising group of players currently in our development squad.

Was thinking this yesterday, and also how the club go about ensuring that this continues. Obviously retaining McDermott is step 1

I think yesterday's win needs to be dedicated to two men.

For decades our academy was dreadful - King, Campbell, Carr, Barmby - the handful of exceptions over a 20 year period.

Then yesterday we lined up against Chelsea's £200m team with 5 homegrown academy players in the starting lineup (3 of whom scored). And not only are they in our team (and keeping out nearly £100m of talent), but they are clearly excellently developed players - technical, skilful, hardworking and really tough.

The person who first initiated the overhaul of the academy was actually Arnesen. Almost his first act in 2004 was to appoint John McDermott as new Academy Director. McDermott is the guy who rung the changes and installed a whole new philosophy across the academy. McDermott also appointed a new senior academy coach to be his number 2 - Alex Inglethorpe. Inglethorpe coached the famous 'class of 2009' (including Townsend, Rose, Mason and Caulker) to the youth cup final. Inglethorpe has since moved on to bigger things - he's now doing McDermott's job at Liverpool. But yesterday was the fruition of a decade of work by the pair of them

So Poch is fantastic, but I think yesterday's win should really be dedicated to McDermott and Inglethorpe

487.jpg

5393.JPG

Have you not also conveniently forgotten someone who was also integral to their progression and largely responsible for giving them first team opportunities?

Have you not also conveniently forgotten someone who was also integral to their progression and largely responsible for giving them first team opportunities?

yes he has , intentionally i might add

i cant mention the name..but maybe you can and get away with it

Of course, there must be a Tim Sherwood discussion going on at all time.

If he was really that important for the academy I think it's strange that we were that happy to shift him out via the caretaker manager route.

If he was really that important for the academy I think it's strange that we were that happy to shift him out via the caretaker manager route.

True. Fair play to him for giving Kane, Bentaleb a real go in the first team. We are benefitting today.

True. Fair play to him for giving Kane, Bentaleb a real go in the first team. We are benefitting today.

Definitely. For that he deserves a lot of praise. He saw what AVB did not. I will never, ever, for the life of me, understand how AVB could overlook someone as classy as Bentaleb even in our watered down EL fixtures.

Redknapp gave Mason, Rose and Kane their debuts (Nov 08, Jan 10, Aug 11), AVB Townsend (Sept 12) and Sherwood Bentaleb (Dec 13).

There's no particular pattern in that - it just corresponds with the players ages/the duration of the respective manager's tenure.

He took over from Inglethorpe for 15 months after AI got poached by Liverpool.

Ehiogu has been in the job 6 months now.

Neither are really significant compared to Inglethorpe's 6/7 years

Redknapp gave Mason, Rose and Kane their debuts (Nov 08, Jan 10, Aug 11), AVB Townsend (Sept 12) and Sherwood Bentaleb (Dec 13).

There's no particular pattern in that - it just corresponds with the players ages/the duration of the respective manager's tenure.

I think both Sherwood and Poch have shown a real willingness to trust our young players over and beyond what AVB did.

I really think it was one of the reasons for going for Poch this summer. He's shown that he can integrate young players and he's shown he can help them progress from talented to very ****ing good. He shows them the trust they need and accepts the risks involved. We knew we had a talented bunch of youngsters and someone like that was important.

Definitely. For that he deserves a lot of praise. He saw what AVB did not. I will never, ever, for the life of me, understand how AVB could overlook someone as classy as Bentaleb even in our watered down EL fixtures.

To be fair, AVB used Carroll 14 times in 12/13

To be fair, AVB used Carroll 14 times in 12/13

7 sub appearances in the league, totaling 79 minutes. Then sign Paulino and Capoue and ship Carroll out on loan.

Not quite comparable to what's happened with Bentaleb and Mason this season and last to me.

Might be just that Carroll wasn't ready for that step up at that time. But AVB didn't show the kind of trust in our youngster that we've seen from Poch and Sherwood imo.

He took over from Inglethorpe for 15 months after AI got poached by Liverpool.

Ehiogu has been in the job 6 months now.

Neither are really significant compared to Inglethorpe's 6/7 years
Inglethorpe did not coach each of those young players for 6/7 years - just the time that they were in his development squad. Sherwood played the same role with the development squad and then also gave a few of the players a proper chance in the first team (Kane and Bentaleb). You also (conveniently) forget how Sherwood was instrumental in Mason still being at Spurs today.

I don't want this to degenerate into another Sherwood was good/Sherwood was sh!t thread, but the way that you completely disregard him from anything positive that has happened to us bringing through youth products is now becoming ridiculous. Especially when you specifically name somebody (Inglethorpe) who had no more influence than Sherwood did.

The same academy that spurs fans don't have patience with. townsend, rose, Bentaleb and kane have been slaughtered by spurs 'fans'.

The same academy that spurs fans don't have patience with. townsend, rose, Bentaleb and kane have been slaughtered by spurs 'fans'.

Modern Football. No patience. They have to be a superstar from day 1. This is why loaning players works well. All have benefited from that. Lets hope that Carroll and Pritchard can be the next to get in the side. I Can see a place for both of them in our squad.

And I still have hopes for Fredericks as well. I wish we had never sold Caulker. He should have been retained.

Our youth teams have been top notch for some time and yet very few were coming through of a top calibre.

If I was the guy who invested the money in it and wasn't seeinga Breton Id be question the investment. The reality is he appointed a man who clearly has a willingness to give these guys games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back