• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

It would be an insane strategy with no chance of success. Maybe I am giving the government too much credit but I thought that this was too mad even for them.

I can't see it being true

But with Juncker's misjudged superstate speech today (Schengen and Euro for all members, no national vetos etc.), you wonder just how close the other reluctant EU members like Denmark, Poland and Hungary are to breaking position from the Commission.

Last edited:

But with Juncker's misjudged superstate speech today, you wonder just how close the other reluctant EU members like Denmark, Poland and Hungary are to breaking position from the Commission.

We heard this repeatedly throughout the referendum campaign from leavers, what has happened is that support for the EU has grown on the continent since last June.

This is part of the reason why negotiations are going so badly. The leading leavers fundamentally misunderstand the EU and member states.

We heard this repeatedly throughout the referendum campaign from leavers, what has happened is that support for the EU has grown on the continent since last June.

This is part of the reason why negotiations are going so badly. The leading leavers fundamentally misunderstand the EU and member states.

The Danish Prime Minister is already kicking back against Juncker's power grab:

The other countries were a bit shocked by the Brexit vote and circled the wagons, but that will continue to soften as their fundamental conflicting interests re-emerge.

really? Poland, Slovakia and Hungary are refusing to take in their share of refugees despite losing a court battle. Merkel is threatening them with sanctions. Italy is still struggling to deal with the influx of migrants from Africa and are unhappy with the lack of support they are receiving from the EU.

really? Poland, Slovakia and Hungary are refusing to take in their share of refugees despite losing a court battle. Merkel is threatening them with sanctions. Italy is still struggling to deal with the influx of migrants from Africa and are unhappy with the lack of support they are receiving from the EU.
Quite a few elections post BREXIT and their UKIP parties didn't really make much progress.

There will always be disagreements between member states. It is difficult to balance domestic politics with the wider interests of the group. There is no growing support to follow us out of the door.

But with Juncker's misjudged superstate speech today (Schengen and Euro for all members, no national vetos etc.), you wonder just how close the other reluctant EU members like Denmark, Poland and Hungary are to breaking position from the Commission.

Interesting; can you send a post a lick to this speech by Juncker?

There will always be disagreements between member states. It is difficult to balance domestic politics with the wider interests of the group. There is no growing support to follow us out of the door.

The UK's financial contribution ending could be a trigger of that.

Either eastern and southern European members are going to get a lot less subsidies, or the German taxpayer is going to rebel at have to bear an even greater load to fund siestas, waste and corruption (WW2 guilt only goes so far).

The UK's financial contribution ending could be a trigger of that.

Either eastern and southern European members are going to get a lot less subsidies, or the German taxpayer is going to rebel at have to bear an even greater load to fund siestas, waste and corruption (WW2 guilt only goes so far).

They will still be richer as a block and our future contributions remain unknown.

Only because they are scared of Russia. It's basically a back-up to NATO. They flout every socio-economic thing they can, and are suffering significantly from a depopulation/a brain-drain to the West.

Rubbish. Poland was the fastest growing economy in the EU last year and does very well out of membership. They will also do very well out of Brexit, it has a small but growing financial sector and is seeing a number of companies relocate there.

i doubt we will see any other nation daring to leave the EU. The way the UK will be punished will make sure of that. That doesnt mean that it will be a smooth road ahead for the EU. They will have to deal with rebellion and in fighting in the years ahead.

The way the UK will be punished will make sure of that.

Forgive me if I have misunderstood but I cant see any punishment just not been given the preferential access we think we deserve.

We can make a clean break when ever we want to, The "Divorce bill" can be easily avoided, but those that are negotiating realize that the £40BN or whatever we would have to pay would be less of a hit than the loss in trade if we had a clean break.

What other punishment do you think we are getting?

i doubt we will see any other nation daring to leave the EU. The way the UK will be punished will make sure of that. That doesnt mean that it will be a smooth road ahead for the EU. They will have to deal with rebellion and in fighting in the years ahead.

How will the UK be punished?

Back