• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Maybe not politics, but thought i'd share. Been a carer for my mum and dad for over10 years. Only child, dad got dementia, mum disabled.

Anyway both gone now. Mum a couple of weeks ago.

Went in the job centre today, just to ask for help updating my cv. Been so long can't remember dates, want to apply for jobs before the carers allowance is cancelled.

- are you on universal credit?
- no i'm still on carers allowance.
- you'll have to go on universal credit.
- i just want to try and get a job before the carers allowance runs out.
- we can't help you if you're not on universal credit. You'll have to cancel carers allowance.
- but universal credit is less than carers allowance.
- best thing to do. The day carers allowance runs out, apply for universal credit. Then we can help you.

Wtf?
My sincere condolences. Hope you get it sorted out and life looks up. Take care.

Still clinging to the hope then :)

Let us be honest, it is not the deal that is the issue, it is Brexit itself. Softer exits/EU agreements just mean less disruption (but still disruption) with reduced sovereignty for the UK. A softer exit is essentially an admission that Brexit has failed in itself. Because these softer arrangements are like being in the EU, with no control over the direction of travel. The UK would be emailed new EU directives to implement, with no say over them.

I'm not clinging to anything, it's a generational change so realistically you can only judge it over a long timeframe. The worlds not been a great place since but yeah overall of course it's not gone as smoothly as some people claim but doesn't mean that over the next few years things can't shift and re-balance. I still believe that it's important to bring new trading relationships as countries develop. I've also said that I'd like to see more state aid - help build up industries to attract investment. Everyone else does it. Problem is this govt is always chasing, constantly on the backfoot so nothing actually happens.

I'm not clinging to anything, it's a generational change so realistically you can only judge it over a long timeframe. The worlds not been a great place since but yeah overall of course it's not gone as smoothly as some people claim but doesn't mean that over the next few years things can't shift and re-balance. I still believe that it's important to bring new trading relationships as countries develop. I've also said that I'd like to see more state aid - help build up industries to attract investment. Everyone else does it. Problem is this govt is always chasing, constantly on the backfoot so nothing actually happens.
The biggest handicap for Brexit wasn't the deal.....it's the bunch of hapless useless self serving charlatans that led us to it, thru it, and now sadly day after day (hopefully some quality people might take over, but have a bad start to recover from), leaders in zero sense of the word. Anything can be a success if you have vision, ambition, determination, preparation and organisation...we barely score in any of those areas.

Last edited:

The things you want are not incompatible with being in the EU, that is the bugbear. Yes the UK can do these things as France etc do, but we are punching from a lower position if/when we do so. The EU was a platform, not a hindrance, I think that should be clear now.

The generational change thing is quite funny - a way of shirking responsibility. There is no reason you can't judge now, and view the direction of travel.

The 'worlds not been in a good state', but the UK's been bottom of most measures. Even Russia with global sanctions has higher growth. The UK bottom of the G7 and G20 for growth and inflation. Massive increases in net UK migration as well. Come on, the Emperor has got no clothes, everyone can see this ugly truth.

Reactions: DTA
While i'm on a little rant of insanity.

Went into my mums bank to give the death certificate. Now there was a few quid in the account so have to wait for probate.

To make things easier, i asked if i could open an account with them and when it was all sorted just switch the funds over?

Nope. Have to go online. Can't open a bank account in a bank anymore.

Really sorry to hear your news mate and to echo others, you come over as a smart cookie so should be ok

On your Bank comment, since Covid my local Barclays which is conveniently 50m from me still closes on restriction times, 2pm, so was annoying to do anything, then like you found them less helpful and reverting to online which is fine but sometimes you can't talk to a computer and the Bots drive me mad. Then to top it all...they are closing loads of branches and opening this hybrid branches or something. Ridic

The biggest handicap for Brexit wasn't the deal.....it's the bunch of hapless useless self serving charlatans that led us to it, thru it, and now sadly day after day (hopefully some quality people might take over, but have a bad start to recover from), leaders in zero sense of the word. Anything can be a success if you have vision, ambition, determination, preparation and organisation...we barely score in any of those areas.

I'm interested to see what Labour will do with it.

This perked my interest the other day: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65695598, specifically "Ms Reeves has dubbed her strategy "securonomics", which she said would mean a bigger role for government in running the free market economy".

The idea of national self-sufficiency in green energy (and other areas) is hated by the neo-libs that run the EU. It would hopefully be a pivot away from the from the broken anti-state/don't pick winners approach of the past 40 years.

Shouldn't all these sturgeon posts be in the "lets all laugh at" thread?
I know I've been laughing my fudging head off.
Who's more likely to do time,
Trump,
Boris,
Nicola.
Could all be in same cell, that would be fun.

Back