• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

I’d rather stick with Truss then get Boris back. The fact that he’s even being considered makes me angry. The bloke has no morals or shame. He’s a vain, self-obsessed, ignorant man. And most importantly, not good enough for the job going by his achievements and results.

If labour had done that in their manifesto they might have won the last election. Instead they wanted a vote on the deal, a no deal brexit or remain. Trying to split the leave vote and remain by the back door. Voters saw through it and tories won.

Why I sat at the last election.

We don't get to vote for government. We get to vote for a local mp who will represent you in parliament. Parliament then decides who is in government.
Ah, but they don't. One person does - the leader of the majority party.
I'd never considered this until now. Maybe the majority party should elect who is appointed to each ministerial post, or at the very least SoS post, and let let the SoS appoint the ministers in their Dept.

I’d rather stick with Truss then get Boris back. The fact that he’s even being considered makes me angry. The bloke has no morals or shame. He’s a vain, self-obsessed, ignorant man. And most importantly, not good enough for the job going by his achievements and results.

He wouldn't last till Christmas. More than half his MPs despise him, including all the big players, as do nearly all the general population. There's also the impeachment for lying to parliament thing coming up soon, which will an enormous circus.

Ah, but they don't. One person does - the leader of the majority party.
I'd never considered this until now. Maybe the majority party should elect who is appointed to each ministerial post, or at the very least SoS post, and let let the SoS appoint the ministers in their Dept.

They need the majority of parliaments backing though to do it. Which is usually if their party gets a majority. Otherwise they have to form a coalition.

Interesting the Lib Dems are putting forward a motion to ban those who committed criminal offences while in government from becoming PM. It would only need about 40 Tories to support it
No way anyone is backing that - it would be a very shaky ground and open to manipulation.
Very Draconian and smacks in the face of the rehabilitation of offenders act.
Also, BoJo was guilty of a very minor offence, equivalent legally to a motoring offense.
The crime isn't the issue - the principles behind it are.
I used to be Lib Dem leaning - but they have totally lost the plot since Nick Clegg

They need the majority of parliaments backing though to do it. Which is usually if their party gets a majority. Otherwise they have to form a coalition.
No they don't.
They have to declare to the king that they can form a government, which is recognised by parliament, usually by way of majority. They don't have to consult anyone democratically on who is in the cabinet, ergo in government. They don't even have to come from the commons - they can be a lord.
It's why reshuffles are so prominent.

No they don't.
They have to declare to the king that they can form a government, which is recognised by parliament, usually by way of majority. They don't have to consult anyone democratically on who is in the cabinet, ergo in government. They don't even have to come from the commons - they can be a lord.
It's why reshuffles are so prominent.

Recognised by parliament. Is the key there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pol...ch appoints a Prime,the support of that House.

The monarch appoints a Prime Minister as the head of His Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom, guided by the strict convention that the Prime Minister should be the member of the House of Commons most likely to be able to form a Government with the support of that House.

Last edited:
He wouldn't last till Christmas. More than half his MPs despise him, including all the big players, as do nearly all the general population. There's also the impeachment for lying to parliament thing coming up soon, which will an enormous circus.

I think it was Pippa Crear who was reported to have said off camera after being on Laura Kuessenberg's (sp) programme last week that there are loads more partygate photos of Boris that have been held back. So I expect they would come to light in the event of a Boris reincarnation as PM, and day trips to Ukraine at the drop of a hat when things get tricky at home won't be so easy, what with Kiev now being targetted by Putin.

Recognised by parliament. Is the key there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_the_United_Kingdom#:~:text=The monarch appoints a Prime,the support of that House.

The monarch appoints a Prime Minister as the head of His Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom, guided by the strict convention that the Prime Minister should be the member of the House of Commons most likely to be able to form a Government with the support of that House.
Thanks for politics 101 - not needed ;) .....also not relevant (but I suspect you already knew that. You have the deflection propensity of a Tory MP)

Back on topic:
I was responding to you saying 'Parliament decides who is in Government"
They don't - only the PM does.
My further point was that scope for such a mechanism whereby parliament in some form has a say in who is in government is an interesting one.

I think it was Pippa Crear who was reported to have said off camera after being on Laura Kuessenberg's (sp) programme last week that there are loads more partygate photos of Boris that have been held back. So I expect they would come to light in the event of a Boris reincarnation as PM, and day trips to Ukraine at the drop of a hat when things get tricky at home won't be so easy, what with Kiev now being targetted by Putin.

Has to be Rishi. Would be sad to see us go backwards. Didn’t think Boris should have been removed and would have let him run his term and fullfill his mandate. But now we have moved on. There’s no going back. And clearly large parts of his party (and the nation) are not behind Boris.

Sunak strikes me as a problem solver. He might not be the most visionary leader but he’s safe and his mandate will be to fix the short-term brick we’re in.

@Danishfurniturelover i should
Imagine the pound will strengthen if/when Sunak is through the no. 10 door.

You would think so.

Honestly people say not to trade the news. But this week, I watched the news jumped on the price movement for a few pips, then jumped off.

Won't always be that easy. But they say if you can't explain your strategy to a 5 year old then it is not worth it.

We’re at Butlin’s this weekend thanks to my parents wanting a Weekend away with the grandkids
I’ve spent at least 2 hours so far educating them on why Boris is a clam and why starmer wasn’t one of Jimmy Savilles friends
The scary thing is, even presenting the evidence it’s still being doubted because it’s not what they read in the Mail or on Facebook….
That’s what we are dealing with. Social media and the gutter press miseducating millions

We’re at Butlin’s this weekend thanks to my parents wanting a Weekend away with the grandkids
I’ve spent at least 2 hours so far educating them on why Boris is a clam and why starmer wasn’t one of Jimmy Savilles friends
The scary thing is, even presenting the evidence it’s still being doubted because it’s not what they read in the Mail or on Facebook….
That’s what we are dealing with. Social media and the gutter press miseducating millions

I find the whole thing perplexing in the extreme.
Surely they know that regardless of what they do the tories are going to lose the next GE.
Bringing boris back is not going to change that, he is walking back into scandal that he fled from six weeks ago ffs.
The headlines tearing him apart are already written, is that really going to help the country or the party?
The only ones that will benefit from boris is the media and social media, chaos and turmoil sells.

The older i get the more i think that you need a licence to get married, own a dog or watch tv, but every clam and idiot is "entitled" to children and a vote.

Back