• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Player of the Season So Far

Going by this season we're just a strong defensively without him in the team, albeit only one game in the league to go on

Is that because he's playing better than everyone else or because he's in a position which brings solidity to the team? I think he's been consistently good but Alderwiereld and possibly Kane have performed better game to game over the season so far

Both; he's been playing consistently well AND in a very crucial position for us and our system imo

The problem is that it ignores other factors such as our defence chopping and changing every other game last season.

Of course I accept that and that has made a difference, I am Toby's biggest fan and he was the one I hoped we would sign in the summer. However Dier is better at what he does then the guys we had playing in that position last season and we are stronger because of it.

Of course I accept that and that has made a difference, I am Toby's biggest fan and he was the one I hoped we would sign in the summer. However Dier is better at what he does then the guys we had playing in that position last season and we are stronger because of it.

I agree that Dier is playing better than Mason and Bentaleb did last season.

One game...Dier nearly half a season..
And he did very well in that one game. He hasn't been needed as a DM in more games because Dier was available for those. If however Dier will miss a match or multiple matches I don't think it will be as big a problem as you think it would be. Don't get me wrong, Dier has been outstanding, but if necessary Dembele can do what he does, both offensively and defensively. As good as Dier has been, we certainly weren't much more vulnerable when he missed out against Liverpool. That's not to take anything away from Eric, but we do have other options if needed.

And he did very well in that one game. He hasn't been needed as a DM in more games because Dier was available for those. If however Dier will miss a match or multiple matches I don't think it will be as big a problem as you think it would be. Don't get me wrong, Dier has been outstanding, but if necessary Dembele can do what he does, both offensively and defensively. As good as Dier has been, we certainly weren't much more vulnerable when he missed out against Liverpool. That's not to take anything away from Eric, but we other options if needed.

I hear some of that. But Dier has shown qualities at both ends; the way he breaks up play and/or covers space and intercepts AND sets up some of our attacks straight away.
I think Dembele can do some of that but not all, i.e. the setting up our attacks straight away from deep.
However Dembele has improved a lot as well and it is testament to Poch's coaching abilities imo that he is playing somewhat closer to what we all think and beleive he is capable of (offensively).
Time will tell over the season anyhow.
Good stuff, either way.

Better than last season:
Walker (than himself)
Vertonghen (than himself)
Alderweireld (than A.N.Other)
Rose (than himself)
Alli (than A.N.Other)
Dier (partly players played out of position, partly duck to water)
Lamela (than himself)
Dembele (than himself)
Son (offers something different)
Kane (same as last year, no mean feat)
Lloris (same excellent standard)
Eriksen Same as last season but not as good as season before?
Chadli not as good as last season?

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Eriksen's assist stats. Personally, I think the stat is a little overrated, but he has 5 already this season and people complained he didn't assist enough last season. Him and Kane have such a good understanding, they link up better than any other offensive players in the team. I would have thought he would have scored a few more but the goals will come I believe.

Agree with people highlighting Kane and Alderweireld, Kane wasn't playing badly even during that drought.

Alderweireld, well the guy is just always there in the right place at the right time to put out any fires.

Eriksens created more chances than anyone in our squad last season iirc, his assist stat was always going to improve if he carried that on in to this season

Eriksens created more chances than anyone in our squad last season iirc, his assist stat was always going to improve if he carried that on in to this season
The frustrating thing is that he puts so many corners too short/low. I know he is trying to whip them in at pace. I know the WHL pitch has dodgy run up areas... but for GHod's sake you have to get the ball into the mixer Brian. To top it off against Cheatski after several corners that didn't beat the first man, he took a short corner to Rose and they promptly lost the ball. Just whip it into an area that Dier and Toby can attack.

The frustrating thing is that he puts so many corners too short/low. I know he is trying to whip them in at pace. I know the WHL pitch has dodgy run up areas... but for GHod's sake you have to get the ball into the mixer Brian. To top it off against Cheatski after several corners that didn't beat the first man, he took a short corner to Rose and they promptly lost the ball. Just whip it into an area that Dier and Toby can attack.

I sit in the Park Lane lower (block 32) and one bloke without fail always shouts out "Eriksen, it's a free kick" whenever we get a corner and he takes it :p

Back