• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Player of the Season So Far

Are people saying Dier because they think he has performed better than every other player in our team or because having a DM has helped make us a stronger team?

More of a Devils Advocate question than i am trying to downplay Diers performances, but i do get the impression it's the latter rather than the former as to why he's being rated as our best player.

Are people saying Dier because they think he has performed better than every other player in our team or because having a DM has made us harder to break down ?

More of a Devils Advocate question than i am trying to downplay Diers performances, but i do get the impression it's the latter rather than the former as to why he's being rated as our best player.

Both, but he's been our most consistent player so far. I can't think of any bad performances whereas Alderweireld whilst being a great signing wasn't too good against Stoke for example.

Alderweireld followed by a close tie between Lamela and Dier.

Dembele and Alli aren't too far back either.

Has to be Dier.
1. He atm has no equal in terms of the balance and protection he gives to the team (i.e. who plays in his position if he is out? I think we'd have to rejig the team if/when that happens...)
2. He magnifies the effect that Alderweireld has had on the defence; i think even he would struggle if our CM was wide open like it seemed so often last season...
3. In the PL, who has played the DM role better AND contributed in the forward areas like he has? Our very own in-house prepared Schneiderlin! It is Dier's performances that are highlighting the coaching qualities of Poch he most imo

1. Kane
2. Alderweireld
3. Dembele + Dier joint 3rd.

My top 3.

Kane is number 1 imo. I know he didn't score in the first 6 games, but I think that was more down to luck. He's kept his chin up and has scored 8 goals in the last 8 league games. Would not surprise me if he hits 20 league goals again. Class player.

Toby player of the season

Dier Young player of the season.
Agree, but you know if the season ended now Alli would probably get it, just because he's a bigger story (from League One to England call-up in less than 6 months, yada yada yada).

Are people saying Dier because they think he has performed better than every other player in our team or because having a DM has helped make us a stronger team?

I think to call Dier a DM is a little unfair, he plays decent balls forward has already shown he can play from his days at RB. I agree that a DM has made us better but its way he plays the role as much as anything. If u look at a Matic, Sandro, Lucas, they all destroy and pass the ball on.

I didnt see a DM as a solution i thought it was more the way in which we pressed, however Dier could re-invent the DM position and how other teams look at playing.
4-3-3 is more and more the accepted style. This means FB's provide the width, meaning CB's are more and more both in and out of possession playing wide. This means that defensive midfielder needs to

A) be able to pick up and play the ball
B) be able to shield in front of the CB's
C) be able to drop into CB when the CB has gone wide to cover a full back

The only player other than Dier i think can be this is perhaps Carrick i cant think of anyone else off top of head.
I like Bentaleb however he can probably provide A / B same as schneiderlin
A Zouma could do B / C

Tough call. It's between dembele and Toby for me. I've been so impressed, and perhaps surprised by dembele's performances of late, that he goes top for me.

1. Dembele
2. Toby
3. Dier
4. Kane
5. Alli
6. Walker
7. Vertonghen
8. Lamela
9. Eriksen
10. Lloris
11. Rose

Also liked what I've seen from particularly Mason and Son, but they haven't played enough yet.

If we are talking about improvement then Dembele, Toby, Dier, Alli have all added a huge amount compared to last year.

Kane has not improved... he is still "just" the best player at the club and perhaps the best in the league and the most important player at the club and the highest goalscorer and the biggest impact and the biggest off-field persona in terms of media and team building, but other than that, what does he do?

Has to be Dier.
1. He atm has no equal in terms of the balance and protection he gives to the team (i.e. who plays in his position if he is out? I think we'd have to rejig the team if/when that happens...)
2. He magnifies the effect that Alderweireld has had on the defence; i think even he would struggle if our CM was wide open like it seemed so often last season...
3. In the PL, who has played the DM role better AND contributed in the forward areas like he has? Our very own in-house prepared Schneiderlin! It is Dier's performances that are highlighting the coaching qualities of Poch he most imo

Dier has been amazing, but let's not forget what an outstanding job Dembele did as a DM against Liverpool in Dier's absence. People were worried when Dier got suspended, but then Dembele put in a MOTM performance in Dier's position against Liverpool.

Has to be Dier.
I don't see how you can say 'It has to be' Dier, or any other player. As you can see in this thread, there are various players contending for the accolade which is testament to what a great team effort it has been so far....

Dier has been amazing, but let's not forget what an outstanding job Dembele did as a DM against Liverpool in Dier's absence. People were worried when Dier got suspended, but then Dembele put in a MOTM performance in Dier's position against Liverpool.

One game...Dier nearly half a season..

I don't see how you can say 'It has to be' Dier, or any other player. As you can see in this thread, there are various players contending for the accolade which is testament to what a great team effort it has been so far....

I certainly agree it has been a team effort....but if Dier isn't there we are much MUCH more vulnerable imo

I certainly agree it has been a team effort....but if Dier isn't there we are much MUCH more vulnerable imo

Is that because he's playing better than everyone else or because he's in a position which brings solidity to the team? I think he's been consistently good but Alderwiereld and possibly Kane have performed better game to game over the season so far

Difficult to say because we haven't seen much of the alternatives with a settled defence behind them and a well drilled press in front.

Back