• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Player of the Season So Far

Toby for me.

not just for his outstanding defensive displays, but the impact his had on our defense as a whole.
the improvement in Jan playing alongside him is massive. he always seems to be talking to Walker and Jan and even seen him giving dier advice.
his reading of the game is excellent and he has chipped in with a couple of important goals (2nd v city, 2nd v spammers). we actually look a threat from corners now (if we beat the 1st man).

Honourable mention to dier. who knew?

alli for young player. you'd never know he was playing league 1 last year.

Very tempted to say Kane. Started slowly in terms of goals, but I thought he played well all along. Now he's started scoring again and is more or less matching his goal record from last season at this point, only with a higher portion of his goals coming in the league.

All with all that attention on him both from the media and from opponents. Dealing with the pressure of a dry spell isn't easy either.

Really well done and he's grown further this season in my eyes. Seemingly proved all the "one season wonder" naysayers wrong along the way.

But ultimately too many have done so well that calling it for one player at this point seems impossible.

1) Alder
2) Dier
3) Alli

With honourable mentions to Lamela, Verts, Walker and Dembele for considerably upping their game

Dembele has been very good, but only for the last 4-6 matches. He was poor at the start of the season (remember how turgid our AMs were till Son and Lamela started coming in), and then he was out injured for quite a while.

Not that i disagree as he has been very good and brought best from verts, however im sure a few people who have gone for toby said the issue was the DM position rather than the CB. Therefore interested why they went for Toby over Dier, and which one would cause the bigger issue is lost for a month due to injury?

For me no one player has stood out, I feel the reason so many have looked better is the way Dier has played which has allowed Dembele to flourish and given confidence to the defence.

1) Alder
2) Dier
3) Alli

With honourable mentions to Lamela, Verts, Walker and Dembele for considerably upping their game

Dembele has been very good, but only for the last 4-6 matches. He was poor at the start of the season (remember how turgid our AMs were till Son and Lamela started coming in), and then he was out injured for quite a while.
Disagree. He was hardly poor.

Not that i disagree as he has been very good and brought best from verts, however im sure a few people who have gone for toby said the issue was the DM position rather than the CB. Therefore interested why they went for Toby over Dier, and which one would cause the bigger issue is lost for a month due to injury?

I went for Toby over Dier because I think he leads the line and congests the space between the midfield and the defence in order to make the press work. The result of this is that players like Jan, Rose and Walker have looked a lot better. There's no doubting that Dier has had his part to play in this but I think we have looked more defensively solid because of Toby and Dier.

As for saying who would cause the bigger issue, when we missed Dier for a game, Dembele came in and was a beast. We haven't had to really replace Toby in the lineup so it's hard to say. I don't want to take anything away from Dier who I think has been excellent, but the marginal call from me is that Toby has been a standout player. The fact that he adds presence and danger on our set pieces is also a help!

I went for Toby over Dier because I think he leads the line and congests the space between the midfield and the defence in order to make the press work. The result of this is that players like Jan, Rose and Walker have looked a lot better. There's no doubting that Dier has had his part to play in this but I think we have looked more defensively solid because of Toby and Dier.

As for saying who would cause the bigger issue, when we missed Dier for a game, Dembele came in and was a beast. We haven't had to really replace Toby in the lineup so it's hard to say. I don't want to take anything away from Dier who I think has been excellent, but the marginal call from me is that Toby has been a standout player. The fact that he adds presence and danger on our set pieces is also a help!

Cant disagree apart from i think Dier is a bigger danger at set pieces and not sure why Toby is the one who is going front post at moment.
Nice problem to have, it would be interesting (lets hope it doesnt happen) that if Toby was out for 1 month would Dier drop back as we have better midfield options to replace him!

Cant disagree apart from i think Dier is a bigger danger at set pieces and not sure why Toby is the one who is going front post at moment.
Nice problem to have, it would be interesting (lets hope it doesnt happen) that if Toby was out for 1 month would Dier drop back as we have better midfield options to replace him!

Let's hope it doesn't happen!! ;)

Disagree. He was hardly poor.

He made some contributions, but overall we were struggling because he and Chadli were providing absolutely no penetration from WF.

It was before the 'release the ball' hypnosis that Poch sent him to Paul McKenna for properly took hold.

For me no one player has stood out, I feel the reason so many have looked better is the way Dier has played which has allowed Dembele to flourish and given confidence to the defence.

I think part of the reason no one very stands-out, is because for the first time since at least the late 80s, we are playing as a team, rather than being dragged up by a superstar or two (Gascoigne, Sheringham, Anderton, Ginola, Keane, King, Carrick, Berbs, Modric, Bale).

It's a really healthy thing that we are better than the sum of our parts, and that taking out any individuals won't hurt us that much (how United and Chelsea traditionally cut down our progress)

Player of the season = Poch

Toby. Dembele was not even in the team at the start of the season. Toby has been immense, apart from the penalty he conceded early on.

Has to be Dier for me, he has plugged our weakest part of the team which was CM ( imo) and we look far stronger.

Toby was the one player I really wanted us to sign because I had seen him and Jan play as a pair on several occasions and knew he would form a great partnership.

Difficult to chose between the two but for me it has to be Dier. ( so far).

OK, WE all know the players from last season that did very well - Kane, Hugo, Erickson, Mason , Bentlab , Rose etc.
So I am going to pick on new and previous players who have excelled this season. Here is my list:
- Toby
- Dier
- Dembelle
- Lamela
- Walker
- Son
- Verts

COYS

Back