• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paulinho

Re: Official - Paulinho

I still respect the opinion of Tim Vickery a lot. I just sent him a few tweets asking what he makes of Paulinho at Spurs. He in fact said we got much the better deal out of Fernandinho and Paulinho.

Asked him just now and he still says he thinks Paulinho is the better player. Its all about Collective context. swap their teams around and we would see. That would be very interesting to see in fact. Paulinho for City and Fernandinho for us.

I have not been at all impressed with Paulinho this season. But Vickery has seen this guy for a lot longer than us. He says he had a good 1/2 for brazil the other week aswell.

(On Sandro, looks like he is running out time on making the summer world cup unfortunately.)

Love the player as a player but he's simply not interested...

This. He seems to sulk about too much, there's no spirit to him. He was great and spirited against Stoke, that's pretty much the only good game I've seen him play, but generally he just lacks some sort of spark or commitment. He seems sad or lost somehow.

In relation to Diego's post above, I think Tim Vickery is an astute judge of players, especially from that part of the world. Paulinho is obviously a decent player but he hasn't really shown it here. Will that come next season? Who knows. Will he have to move to a different side, one that has players that actually move after passing the ball to show his true talent? Quite possibly. In fact, that can go for the majority of our better players.

Watching that game last night, I was looking at their movement and incisiveness. If Soldado was playing for them he would get 30 odd goals, absolutely no question.

In relation to Diego's post above, I think Tim Vickery is an astute judge of players, especially from that part of the world. Paulinho is obviously a decent player but he hasn't really shown it here. Will that come next season? Who knows. Will he have to move to a different side, one that has players that actually move after passing the ball to show his true talent? Quite possibly. In fact, that can go for the majority of our better players.

Watching that game last night, I was looking at their movement and incisiveness. If Soldado was playing for them he would get 30 odd goals, absolutely no question.

Yep. This is how I feel about our entire squad, slip 1 or 2 of them into a functioning unit and we'll see a different player. Chuck them together devoid of a real game plan and we'll see what we're seeing

My opinion but I don't think Vickery will have watched Fernandinho much, if at all.

My opinion but I don't think Vickery will have watched Fernandinho much, if at all.

Exactly. The average City fan will have seen him play a lot more than Vickery. And the average spurs fan will have seen Paulinho play a lot more than Vickery will have.

And Paulinho is used completely different for Brazil than he's played for us. He doesnt have to create anything he's playing for brazil. He has 4 creative players in front of him and two creative full backs. He's there to run up and down and offer stability. AVB tried playing him as a number 10 ffs.

Exactly. The average City fan will have seen him play a lot more than Vickery. And the average spurs fan will have seen Paulinho play a lot more than Vickery will have.

And Paulinho is used completely different for Brazil than he's played for us. He doesnt have to create anything he's playing for brazil. He has 4 creative players in front of him and two creative full backs. He's there to run up and down and offer stability. AVB tried playing him as a number 10 ffs.

Well isn't that the problem right there?

Julio Cesar
Dani Alves - Thiago Silva - David Luiz - Marcelo
Paulinho - Luiz Gustavo
Oscar
Hulk ----------------- Neymar
Fred​

That's how he's used for Brazil, or he was at the Confeds, not massively different to how he's used here. Either way he's in midfield.

The difference being is that for Brazil he has those four players ahead of him causing all kinds of problems and he exploits the spaces left behind. Lennon and Townsend are miles behind Neymar and Hulk.

Pace? Nope
Great first touch? Nope
Passing? Nope
Creativity? Nope
Strength? Nope
Intelligence? Nope
Work rate? Nope
Leadership? Nope

Really unimpressed with him, I just don't think he has the attributes to be a successful midfielder for a top-half Premiership team. He pops up with a few goals, but that's about it. Painfully average player for us so far.

I've made a decision not to write off any player this season. Without proper direction even the best teams can look woeful.

United are proof of this. The same set of players can look so poor without the guidance of fergie.

I don't think Benfica necessarily had better players than us. Think they were just better drilled and all understood their function in the team.

So you think the national manager and the Brazilians don't know much about fernandinho? It's his job.

Scolari doesnt fancy some players. He wouldnt pick Ramires for instance.
Paulinho is one of his favourite because he does what he's told.

Pace? Nope
Great first touch? Nope
Passing? Nope
Creativity? Nope
Strength? Nope
Intelligence? Nope
Work rate? Nope
Leadership? Nope

Really unimpressed with him, I just don't think he has the attributes to be a successful midfielder for a top-half Premiership team. He pops up with a few goals, but that's about it. Painfully average player for us so far.

I agree with you, but still think we need to see him next season before a definitive judgement can be made. It could be that he needs a season to settle. That's my hope anyhow.

So you think the national manager and the Brazilians don't know much about fernandinho? It's his job.

Aren't Brazilian managers discouraged from picking players who have gone to Eastern Europe?

Anyway, we'll see if this continues now Fernandinho is in England now.

Brazilians pretty much consider players like Fernandinho to be foreigners. Scolari has often ignored players who go to Eastern Europe and only acknowledges those playing in their domestic leagues and the major European leagues, plus he has his favourites and is generally seen to be very stubborn. Willian was another one who should've been in the national team squads but he's been completely ignored until he moved to Chelsea.

I've made a decision not to write off any player this season. Without proper direction even the best teams can look woeful.

Yep agree with this, tbh i've been of that opinion for a while now even under AVB's stewardship. Under AVB i felt the system was far too strict and rigid for any player to truly express himself and consequently develop any type of form, and under Tim it's just the complete opposite as it's just complete and utter chaos.

Circumstances have not been easy for any of our players this season, and in particular the newcomers. The instability at management level and the constant system, formation and personnel alterations have hampered any chance of consistency and thus form and confidence being discovered. Like you, i'll reserve judgment on the majority of our newcomers until we have a fully settled system implemented. I won't go as far as to say Paulinho has underperformed, as quite frankly i have no real foundation to judge him on, i've not seen enough of him in the past to have any real opinion of his level. Time will tell on whether he improves or not, what i will say though is that he looked significantly better at the Confeds Cup against top opposition.

Back