• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OT: What next for Harry?

There is still value in the market in younger players for similar fees

It's not like we asked exclusively for 30 year olds+

That was his approach - nothing more, nothing less, imv.

You need a balance. No point in going out and buying nothing but older players, just like there's no point in buying nothing but youngsters. We signed Sandro, Walker, Naughton, Defoe, Kranjcar and Bassong whilst Redknapp was at the club, none of whom were "old" when we signed them. I know we signed Vertonghen after he left, but we were trying to sign him before Redknapp got sacked so he clearly gave his seal of approval to Levy regarding that one. I'm not saying he didn't like signing experience players because that would be a lie, but it's also a lie to say he ONLY like signing older players.

Exactly. Of course there were negatives, I mean people talk about our 12 point gap we let slip but Man Utd let the title slip when it looked impossible to lose - but u don't sack AF for that negative as you have enough positive moments to know it is not the norm.

So with Redknapp, ill accept any criticism as long as it isn't used to sum his whole time at the club up. For example I keep reading ppl talking about his late substitution at Villa... as if it was the only thing that ever happened. So he eases us away from a relegation battle, get CL for the first time in our history, gets a lot of respect across Europe for our results and football in the CL, finishes 4th playing great football again.... "But he brought Parker on against villa when it should have been Defoe, he is a clueless macaron".

Completely agree. The last manager got the benefit of the doubt because of what he achieved with the club. AVB gets my full support now and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt if he gets positive results. I won't get on AVB's back if we don't get top 4 because quite frankly, I don't think it's achievable without spending a significant amount of money. I'll be happy with 5th or 6th this season, then hopefully build on that next season. But I will say that the style of play has got to improve and the performances also need to improve.

Representatives of Harry Redknapp are in talks over a big-money offer to install him as Ukraine manager, Sky Sports News understands.

It has been claimed discussions have been going on for a fortnight after the Ukrainian FA made the former Spurs boss their number-one target.

Redknapp's agent Paul Stretford is thought to be in Kiev thrashing out the details of the deal, which will see his client back in work for the first time since being shown the door at White Hart Lane in June.

QPR had been expected to sack Mark Hughes and chase his managerial services, but Redknapp may well agree a contract with Ukraine by the end of this week.

He previously told Sportsmail: "It's a fantastic job. I found out about it a couple of weeks ago when they got in touch with my advisors. I am serious about it.

"They are an up and coming football country with some very good young players, some great teams like Shakhtar and some great stadiums.

"I will talk to them and see if we can sort something out. I'm definitely interested, without a doubt."

If Redknapp agrees to the offer, he would be set to lead Ukraine when they face England in a potentially crucial World Cup qualifier in Kiev next September.

http://www.teamtalk.com/tottenham-hotspur/8265286/Representatives-of-Harry-Redknapp-are-in-talks-with-Ukraine-federation-officials

Next he'll be telling the Ukrainians how he hopes England win their group and qualify for the WC.

It would be classic 'Arry to use this to drive up his potential earnings at QPR...'Arry and Stretford = loadsmuney! Let's watch this space eh?

Harry presided over one of the biggest most monumental collapses in blowing a 10 point lead over a very medicre Arsenal side, who if you take away RVP goals and assistsn would probably have been 7th last year.

Roman and his advisers would not want that kind of thing to even have a chance of happening at Chelski.

Not going to happen

:-"

It would be classic 'Arry to use this to drive up his potential earnings at QPR...'Arry and Stretford = loadsmuney! Let's watch this space eh?

article-1117542-004EE39100000258-399_306x462.jpg

Yes I fully understand it and said something similar the other day. I thought about it before posting it also. I've been thinking ti for a very long time and the more time the passes that more I've become convinced it's true.

As much as you might not like me having this opinion, surely you can see that the more and more we see this sniping at a manager that did so well for us it's hard not to hold it. The way some posters talk about Harry around here is something that is hard to stomach given the joy I experienced as a Spurs fan during his reign.

The funny thing is, everyone had joyous moments watching Spurs during hie reign. But people like you wish to ignore the not-so-joyous moments. It goes two ways Joey, something you have quietly, and persistently, tried to dismiss. As for the assertion you have felt compelled to arrive at, I think it's lazy, very very lazy. An easy way out in fact. Because deep down, you know that everyone wants Spurs to do as well as possible...

The funny thing is, everyone had joyous moments watching Spurs during hie reign. But people like you wish to ignore the not-so-joyous moments. It goes two ways Joey, something you have quietly, and persistently, tried to dismiss. As for the assertion you have felt compelled to arrive at, I think it's lazy, very very lazy. An easy way out in fact. Because deep down, you know that everyone wants Spurs to do as well as possible...

I haven't dismissed it, I just try and be reasonable and compare what he achieved with what other managers could realistically have done. I think given the restrictions Spurs managers find themselves working under, then I think we should be grateful to be in a position to "throw away" 3rd place or feel that 5th and the CL 1/4 finals amounts to a disappointing finish. You can find fault with every single manager in the Premier League, if you view their performances against some extreme ideal. But I think it's far more reasonable to judge their performances relative to other managers and when doing this take into account the advantages and disadvantages these managers have over each other. So it's not lazy. My view on football and how one values managers is anything but lazy.

Lazy is the easy assumption that we are being held back by the manager, when things don't go as we'd please.

Deep down I don't know everyone want the best for Spurs. This might be a Spurs forum, but for some the main goal is to demonstrate they know best and being proven right in this endevour is more important to them than Spurs being successful. It doesn't mean they aren't Spurs fans, just that their priorities are different. You can still support a football club, but have a greater interest in something else.

Anyway I'd rather not discuss these things with you personally, as I haven't forgotten my request of you that you'll consider reviewing how you view football in general if AVB fails. Until we get a clearer view of how things will work out under AVB, there is little point in us going back and forth. Personally I think you should have seen enough already to be questioning large aspects of that you thought was wrong with the previous regime, to the point you should be questioning how this effects your view of the game overall. But I'll not press you anything for a while yet.

Representatives of Harry Redknapp are in talks over a big-money offer to install him as Ukraine manager, Sky Sports News understands.

It has been claimed discussions have been going on for a fortnight after the Ukrainian FA made the former Spurs boss their number-one target.

Redknapp's agent Paul Stretford is thought to be in Kiev thrashing out the details of the deal, which will see his client back in work for the first time since being shown the door at White Hart Lane in June.

QPR had been expected to sack Mark Hughes and chase his managerial services, but Redknapp may well agree a contract with Ukraine by the end of this week.

He previously told Sportsmail: "It's a fantastic job. I found out about it a couple of weeks ago when they got in touch with my advisors. I am serious about it.

"They are an up and coming football country with some very good young players, some great teams like Shakhtar and some great stadiums.

"I will talk to them and see if we can sort something out. I'm definitely interested, without a doubt."

If Redknapp agrees to the offer, he would be set to lead Ukraine when they face England in a potentially crucial World Cup qualifier in Kiev next September.

http://www.teamtalk.com/tottenham-hotspur/8265286/Representatives-of-Harry-Redknapp-are-in-talks-with-Ukraine-federation-officials

Next he'll be telling the Ukrainians how he hopes England win their group and qualify for the WC.

I don't think Redknapp can handle any non-English speaking teams. He had always made a big issue about Pavly not speaking English. Don't think he can handle a full squad of players who don't speak much English. He is not the sort of a manager who will learn the players' language just to communicate with them.

Last edited:
I haven't dismissed it, I just try and be reasonable and compare what he achieved with what other managers could realistically have done. I think given the restrictions Spurs managers find themselves working under, then I think we should be grateful to be in a position to "throw away" 3rd place or feel that 5th and the CL 1/4 finals amounts to a disappointing finish. You can find fault with every single manager in the Premier League, if you view their performances against some extreme ideal. But I think it's far more reasonable to judge their performances relative to other managers and when doing this take into account the advantages and disadvantages these managers have over each other. So it's not lazy. My view on football and how one values managers is anything but lazy.

Lazy is the easy assumption that we are being held back by the manager, when things don't go as we'd please.

Deep down I don't know everyone want the best for Spurs. This might be a Spurs forum, but for some the main goal is to demonstrate they know best and being proven right in this endevour is more important to them than Spurs being successful. It doesn't mean they aren't Spurs fans, just that their priorities are different. You can still support a football club, but have a greater interest in something else.

Anyway I'd rather not discuss these things with you personally, as I haven't forgotten my request of you that you'll consider reviewing how you view football in general if AVB fails. Until we get a clearer view of how things will work out under AVB, there is little point in us going back and forth. Personally I think you should have seen enough already to be questioning large aspects of that you thought was wrong with the previous regime, to the point you should be questioning how this effects your view of the game overall. But I'll not press you anything for a while yet.

One day, I genuinely hope the entire story comes out, not just of his time at Spurs, but of his time in football. It will make fascinating reading for his acolytes, and will leave you in no doubt as to why he has had the career he's had. You say 'lazy' is the assumption we are being held back y the manager when things don't go as we please, yet once again, I am sorry to say, lazy is the assumption that the chairman is solely responsible for whatever the manager was incapable of doing.

Harry got plenty of support from Levy in his first season, and signings/spending were abundant. He was also given VdV, Adebayor and Parker as per his request. harry got a lot more of what he asked for than not. Unless you count Carlos Tevez last January!!!!!! Yes, Daniel screwed him there.

There is little point in discussing the rest of your post for a variety of reasons, some of which you cover amply yourself, others which would require a large chunk or prose which would be wasted I fear. But I cannot help but re-visit your quite stunning sentiments, the second bit in bold above, and ask you if you consider yourself to be one of those people/in any way partial to the temptations of such behaviour?

By the way, if AVB does turn out to have built a good structure and have us in a strong, healthy position within a year, I won't consider anyone a 'loser'...because Joey, we are all Spurs supporters and we all want to do well.

Were there more positives than negatives?

ahh i see what you're doing here

you can be watson, i'll be sherlock

so Push and run...what formation did we play when we had VDV in general playing?

4-4-2. Redknapp and Jordan often spoke about VDV playing up top and we definitely played with a conventional 4 man midfield. In reality though VDV pretty much did what he liked and Redknapp gave the players a lot of creative licence to roam when we had the ball.

4-4-2. Redknapp and Jordan often spoke about VDV playing up top and we definitely played with a conventional 4 man midfield. In reality though VDV pretty much did what he liked and Redknapp gave the players a lot of creative licence to roam when we had the ball.

You are TMLK.

this thing about him just buying older players does my head. he got the best players that he could get based on whatever budget he had and what his goals were

we were soft and lacking experience and drive and motivation. he went out and bought players that would contribute to this...if all he did was buy older players then why isnt everyone that played for us over 60 years of age or something silly like that?

people here honestly think that if he had a chance to get a fitter and younger and significantly more talented youngster with a strong mentality; that he wouldnt? thats just baseless comments

and the oldies he did buy have mostly done well for us. am sure you hate that side of things ..the success with people post 29...oh the humiliation.

One day, I genuinely hope the entire story comes out, not just of his time at Spurs, but of his time in football. It will make fascinating reading for his acolytes, and will leave you in no doubt as to why he has had the career he's had. You say 'lazy' is the assumption we are being held back y the manager when things don't go as we please, yet once again, I am sorry to say, lazy is the assumption that the chairman is solely responsible for whatever the manager was incapable of doing.

Harry got plenty of support from Levy in his first season, and signings/spending were abundant. He was also given VdV, Adebayor and Parker as per his request. harry got a lot more of what he asked for than not. Unless you count Carlos Tevez last January!!!!!! Yes, Daniel screwed him there.

There is little point in discussing the rest of your post for a variety of reasons, some of which you cover amply yourself, others which would require a large chunk or prose which would be wasted I fear. But I cannot help but re-visit your quite stunning sentiments, the second bit in bold above, and ask you if you consider yourself to be one of those people/in any way partial to the temptations of such behaviour?

By the way, if AVB does turn out to have built a good structure and have us in a strong, healthy position within a year, I won't consider anyone a 'loser'...because Joey, we are all Spurs supporters and we all want to do well.

Adebayor was a free and he had to twist Levy's arm to get Parker. Plus we barely spent anything in his last two seasons. I wouldn't say he got great support from Levy to be honest. Don't think he's given AVB the best of support either really. Yes we were close to getting Moutinho, but the fact is we didn't get him. Were perenially linked with Leandro, but we never end up getting him. We needed to buy two strikers in the last window, and we had to wait until AFTER the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game to get Ade.

Adebayor was a free and he had to twist Levy's arm to get Parker. Plus we barely spent anything in his last two seasons. I wouldn't say he got great support from Levy to be honest. Don't think he's given AVB the best of support either really. Yes we were close to getting Moutinho, but the fact is we didn't get him. Were perenially linked with Leandro, but we never end up getting him. We needed to buy two strikers in the last window, and we had to wait until AFTER the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game to get Ade.

Agreed re: Moutinho as you'll know (I've said it before too) and yes, Damiao again was a mistake, deal done with player prior to Olympics and then we dithered. I agree with what you've said re: supporting him. Yes, re: Parker, Harry did need to twist his arm but only because he also wanted Bellamy at the same time (both high wage older players) and Levy said one or the other. Harry was vindicated with Parker for sure, proved me wrong!

Agreed re: Moutinho as you'll know (I've said it before too) and yes, Damiao again was a mistake, deal done with player prior to Olympics and then we dithered. I agree with what you've said re: supporting him. Yes, re: Parker, Harry did need to twist his arm but only because he also wanted Bellamy at the same time (both high wage older players) and Levy said one or the other. Harry was vindicated with Parker for sure, proved me wrong!

Bellamy would have been a good purchase last season too and if we'd had him on our books would've almost certainly been the difference between third and fourth. Would have especially come in handy when Lennon was injured.

Daily Mail Football @MAILfootball

Harry Redknapp WILL BE IN THE STANDS at Old Trafford tomorrow and take over on Monday after Mark Hughes sacked by QPR.
QPR new manager already done deal. Harry Redknapp WILL address the team then sit in the stand tomorrow

Monday 14th January 2013
Queens Park Rangers v Tottenham Hotspur 20:00

Daily Mail Football @MAILfootball

Harry Redknapp WILL BE IN THE STANDS at Old Trafford tomorrow and take over on Monday after Mark Hughes sacked by QPR.
QPR new manager already done deal. Harry Redknapp WILL address the team then sit in the stand tomorrow

Monday 14th January 2013
Queens Park Rangers v Tottenham Hotspur 20:00

Harry to QPR was always going to happen. I wouldnt be surprised if the Ukraine rumours was so that QPR could act swiftly and quickly. Harry will revitalise that team in an instant I think.

Back