• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OT: What next for Harry?

But he DID buy older players and enjoyed experienced units in general

How is that biased criticism?

No one is denying he bought older players. But the criticism is that he wanted to fill the team with older players and that often he bought with no regard to the future. You know this though as you've been in the thick of these arguments of many months. The criticism is biased as it ignores the fact we did buy younger players. We did try and buy many younger players that don't get names when people name older player we missed out on, such as P Neville or Bellamy. Also the reasons Harry put forward for wanting some older heads in the squad are not mentioned, nor are favourable terms on which we signed most of them. There is never any comparison with other clubs signings.

If posters were simply pointing that he bought some older players to the club, then it wouldn't be a problem. But that isn't the case, as you well know. It's used as a criticism of him, as if there was something wrong with it or that it was his main strategy. There is no fair comparison with other clubs, a look at the contract or the terms on which these players were signed, the purpose for which they signed or any evidence that there was a preference for these kind of players over younger players.

But that is very different to the accusation that he wanted to fill the team with older players. It's a totally biased argument and relies on quoting Redknapp when he talks about older players he wanted to sign and totally ignore that times he spoke about us missing out on younger players. It's biased and without foundation. It's one of many ridiculous criticisms we see on a regular basis and compel his defenders to respond. The defense put forward is very rarely biased and without foundation, but usually fair and objective.

The other day Scaramanga made an absurd list of criticisms, which I ignored. If you want I'll find them, list them here and respond in a totally fair and objective way. Then you'll see exactly what I mean. It would be unfair to single Scaramanga out though, as there are many posters whoa re just as guilty and often you are one of them.

Please, feel free. If I see any opinion rather than fact in there though, you'll be getting a hypocrite badge ;)

Some of the pro bias often comes out as anti AVB IMO. When he was hired it was 'Harry was sacked for getting 4th, nothing less is acceptable this season'. I agree we haven't been performing that well this season, but that has much more to do with our squad than the manager. We have lost 5 games in the league, 3 of them away at City, Arsenal and Saudi Sportswashing Machine and it's not like we never struggled at home against inferior opponents before. Our squad is thin in midfield and we've been without Dembele every game we've lost.

I don't think it's anti AVB. It's anti certain posters and therefore AVB will get dragged into it for purposes of comparison. I find it very difficult to dislike AVB himself, but there are a large number of posters I have an issue with. I'd go as far as I actually dislike what they stand for as often I see it as putting their egos before the club. That doesn't mean to say I dislike all anti Harry posters, but there are a certain section who I think would rather see Spurs doing badly without Redknapp than when we were doing well with him and I think the reason for this was that his success proved them wrong and they resent him for it.

I don't think it's anti AVB. It's anti certain posters and therefore AVB will get dragged into it for purposes of comparison. I find it very difficult to dislike AVB himself, but there are a large number of posters I have an issue with. I'd go as far as I actually dislike what they stand for as often I see it as putting their egos before the club. That doesn't mean to say I dislike all anti Harry posters, but there are a certain section who I think would rather see Spurs doing badly without Redknapp than when we were doing well with him and I think the reason for this was that his success proved them wrong and they resent him for it.

Then the problem is clearly in your misconception rather than reality. Understand the reality and your problem simply goes away.

Do you understand just how insulting that is when you say it to or about a fellow fan?

Since you think other are doing this do you think this is something you yourself could do?

Absolutely preposterous allegation

Do you understand just how insulting that is when you say it to or about a fellow fan?

Since you think other are doing this do you think this is something you yourself could do?

Yes I fully understand it and said something similar the other day. I thought about it before posting it also. I've been thinking ti for a very long time and the more time the passes that more I've become convinced it's true.

As much as you might not like me having this opinion, surely you can see that the more and more we see this sniping at a manager that did so well for us it's hard not to hold it. The way some posters talk about Harry around here is something that is hard to stomach given the joy I experienced as a Spurs fan during his reign.

Absolutely preposterous allegation

It's not. It might not be true and it's not something I can prove. But you can't say it's preposterous given so much of the anti Harry bile posted.

I made a joke about Gutter Boy in response to Scaramanga post, but at the same time are you really going to say my claim is preposterous when you are aware there are posters like him around and know his history? You might not agree with me and as I said I can't prove it, but can you honestly say it's a preposterous allegation?

I don't think anyone ever wants us to lose, sometime's there is a crumb of comfort that it may expedite required change though.

I don't think anyone ever wants us to lose, sometime's there is a crumb of comfort that it may expedite required change though.

When Martin Jol was coming to the end of his time there was a poll on COYS asking if the members would rather we lost if it meant getting rid of Jol and over 30% said yes.

Then the problem is clearly in your misconception rather than reality. Understand the reality and your problem simply goes away.

The reality is HR was a brilliant manager for us who was criticised for every minor thing by certain people, criticism which may be valid but it is criticism that ignores all the good he did. You can't take individual bad moments to sum up a manager, you have to look at the whole picture. 4th place twice and outstanding football being played is what Harry did, with some bad moments along the way.

Now look at AVB and his start... It's been really poor I'm afraid. It is bad performance after bad performance, with a couple of good things. Trouble is the same people who criticised HR don't seem to do it with AVB, when there is far more justification. Now you could label the opposite criticism at me and say I defend HR but I don't with AVB - but it is purely down to the evidence we have. HR did enough good to get support, so far AVB has struggled and its hard to pick out reasons to big him up (other than new and may need time - something I agree with and do say). If AVB matches 4th place with great football, you can be very sure I will defend him when the football manager players post to slate him. However I may point out hypocrisy from ppl who didn't support hr but do with AVB. Best thing for us is that AVB does succeed as he is so young we could a few decades of stability.

No chance, the guy has more class than go near either of them.
He'll end up at Bayern or in Italy.

Not so sure about that. He would have a much better chance of building the team he wants with their resources, though it would be a completely hollow achievement IMO. Going to club spending within its means would mean less chance of success and it would take longer to get to where you want to go. He's not as bad as Mourinho, but I don't see him as a patient, long term kind of guy.

I do think there are some that only see the positives in Redknapp's reign and either won't acknowledge the mistakes or just ignore them.

tbh i don't see that. I don't remember any poster that only saw positives in Redknapps reign and doesn't acknowledge mistakes were made.

As for what next for Harry, sure I once made a post saying he will be temp Chelsea manager after RDM is sacked early on. Think that could happen. One thing that was certain is that RDM was getting sacked first opportunity. Unfortunately he actually made a great start and was unlucky against man utd, so his sacking is a little harsh.

When Martin Jol was coming to the end of his time there was a poll on COYS asking if the members would rather we lost if it meant getting rid of Jol and over 30% said yes.

It definitely happens. I know Spurs fans during the George Graham era that definitely begrudged any success under him and refused to give him any credit for positive outcomes, while they blamed him solely for any negative outcomes. Best thing to do is just not to converse with fanatics like that as you can't get any sort of reasoned debate from them.

... but I don't see him as a patient, long term kind of guy.

You might be right, but I have a feeling one of the reasons he left Barcelona was to prove that he could do it himself without the Barcelona system. So I think he would want to build something long-term. He won't get the chance at Chelsea, but the City owner is a very different type and would give him the chance.

Back