• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Borussia Dortmund - 2nd leg

Good lesson for a young side. Dortmund are a really good team, and their attack is fast and skillfull. We stuck at it well in the second half, just not quite good enough

They are a very good side, we are clearly a level or two below. I think that with a full strength side and a bit of luck, we would make a bit more of a game of it but as I said, I still think that they would win three games out of four.

I do not think that there is anything to be ashamed of though, they are years ahead of us in terms of their development. They have a settled side, with mature players and have been playing in a similar way for a while.
I fully expected us to lose, as they are a top top team. Just a little surprised how big the difference turned out to be.

I was very impressed with the movement of Dortmund's players. it is the same with Barcelona. Accurate and quick passing is vital, but so is constant movement, in numbers, to create passing opportunities. They are a very impressive side, going forward and in defence, and there is no shame in being beaten by them. (Disappointment of course).

Shows how far behind the Premier League is. If we do manage to get to the Champions League that everyone seems to so desire we are going to have to add major improvements to the squad to even begin to compete.

Anyway all about the league now, don't think we will get another chance for a long time as the other 'big' teams will all improve massively for next season. Imagine City under Pep, they probably will become a Barca, or Dortmund or Munich.

Now or never boys.

Pretty much everyone, but Carroll hasn't impressed me once,and I don't see a hidden potential either. What is he good at? I just don't see it. He'd probably be a nice fit for, say a Bournemouth, Watford, but not for us.
Brad Friedel has said he's one of the most talented players at the Club and Poch is giving him minutes over other options we have so there must be many things he's good at.

Shows how far behind the Premier League is. If we do manage to get to the Champions League that everyone seems to so desire we are going to have to add major improvements to the squad to even begin to compete.

Anyway all about the league now, don't think we will get another chance for a long time as the other 'big' teams will all improve massively for next season. Imagine City under Pep, they probably will become a Barca, or Dortmund or Munich.

Now or never boys.

i'm more worried about Chelsea under Conte than City under Guardiola

Of course! What was the point of tonight? We were never gonna come back. Game was lost in the first round.
Perhaps Poch was giving players a run out for fitness purposes and also protecting the younger players - CCV for example - from getting an absolute spanking which could adversely impact their confidence and therefore development. Also, UEFA has rules about how weak a weakened side scan be before it breaks the rules.

Pretty much everyone, but Carroll hasn't impressed me once,and I don't see a hidden potential either. What is he good at? I just don't see it. He'd probably be a nice fit for, say a Bournemouth, Watford, but not for us.

Carroll turns the ball over quickly, and his movement and availability for a pass, and fitness, are all very good. The more we play the passing and pressing game Poch wants us to play, the better he will look in the side. He might do OK at Watford or Bournemouth, because they occasionally play the style of football that suits him, but I don't think either team would be particularly good for him.

Watch Barcelona and a lot of the time their players are just pinging the ball back and forth with one touch passes. It may look aimless, but it draws opposition players towards them in numbers and creates the space for them to attack in. And when they are pressing they crowd and swarm the other team out of possession. Fitness and technique over physical robustness.

Brad Friedel has said he's one of the most talented players at the Club and Poch is giving him minutes over other options we have so there must be many things he's good at.
He's turning 24. How long can you be 'talented'? I haven't seen much improvement over the years. It's not like It's obvious that he's has a very high ceiling.

If i could kill 2 football pundits, I'd use both bullets for that nasal sounding skid mark.
Probably just garrote Lawrenson with his own ego..

I switched him off ten minutes in when he was failing to understand us keeping possession, because of course games are only 20 minutes long and its takes ages to score a goal

you can get a long way in the CL before you play a side half as good as that

You can also get all the way sometimes as it has been that two sides of that ilk play each other whilst you can get an easier tie...not quite what we're aiming for I know, but...

Carroll turns the ball over quickly, and his movement and availability for a pass, and fitness, are all very good. The more we play the passing and pressing game Poch wants us to play, the better he will look in the side. He might do OK at Watford or Bournemouth, because they occasionally play the style of football that suits him, but I don't think either team would be particularly good for him.

Watch Barcelona and a lot of the time their players are just pinging the ball back and forth with one touch passes. It may look aimless, but it draws opposition players towards them in numbers and creates the space for them to attack in. And when they are pressing they crowd and swarm the other team out of possession. Fitness and technique over physical robustness.

Maybe if Carroll would just beef up a bit, he looks so spindly out there. Far too easily knocked off the ball, no wonder fans get on his back.

You can also get all the way sometimes as it has been that two sides of that ilk play each other whilst you can get an easier tie...not quite what we're aiming for I know, but...

indeed, look at Fulham a few years ago, and Sevilla of course

now, Sevilla are a very good side, but they are much closer to our level than Dortmund

He's turning 24. How long can you be 'talented'? I haven't seen much improvement over the years. It's not like It's obvious that he's has a very high ceiling.
So I guess we ignore the views of the manager (not to mention those of Friedel). What possible reason could there be for Poch giving him those minutes if he is such a not-up-to-scratch footballer?

The wife has just nailed it in one.

'Does Robbie Savage not like us or something?'

Luckil :confused: there was this one West Ham fan at the pub that was so loud he not only drowned out our commentary, but the Liverpool / United game in the next room as well .

Back