• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Sporting CP ***

I actually disagree with that. The first half was rather turgid but not there second…. I was pleased to see the urgency I our second half performance as it showed me what I have always believed and that is that our lack of attacking prowess is because of our manager’s tactics and not the players.

We showed urgency because we were behind and needed to win, there was still no quality in our play and the same poor movement and sloppy passing was on show

I actually disagree with that. The first half was rather turgid but not there second…. I was pleased to see the urgency I our second half performance as it showed me what I have always believed and that is that our lack of attacking prowess is because of our manager’s tactics and not the players.

The last half an hour I agree with you but we started the 2nd half poorly, no real urgency or movement for the first 15 minutes.

I think that if VAR is to survive it needs to be drastically changed. I’d like to see something like:

A bank of 3/5/7/9/11 (whatever odd number they deem appropriate) of officials viewing the decisions. They have a maximum of 60 seconds in which to make a decision. Each one ‘votes’ for what they think is right. If any individual fails to make a decision in that time then their ‘vote’ goes with the on field decision.

Cons: It’ll cost more

Pros: *It SHOULD be more reliable as it’ll be a decision generated by a majority decision
* It’ll stop these ridiculous 4/5 minute reviews
* If the panel fails to decide within 60 secs, the decision will be that which was made on field… therefore, any clear and obvious errors should ALWAYS get corrected; contentious decisions will at least get A majority verdict.

Whatever happens, something HAS a to happen with the current shambles. It’s rapidly ruining the game.

No because if the other game is drawn Lisbon have a better head--to-head against us, and obviously if either teams win we are 3rd

And Marseille can only go through by winning?

We are fudged especially as we have just two days until bounemouth town and then just two days again until marseille.

Our only hope is to play ultra defence and then nick something on the counter.

We showed urgency because we were behind and needed to win, there was still no quality in our play and the same poor movement and sloppy passing was on show
Disagree somewhat…. We had several moments of quality playing through the lines. The second half shows me that if we want to play front foot football then we can do so, we still had numerous chances despite Sporting dropping off and trying to keep what they had.

IMO the problem in the first half was that only Bentancur, Kane and (to a lesser extent) Romero were brave on the ball. In the second half the rest of the team gambled more, it showed me that many of our issues at the moment are shackles put on us by Conte.

The last half an hour I agree with you but we started the 2nd half poorly, no real urgency or movement for the first 15 minutes.
Disagree…. I think the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half was probably our best period of the game (ignoring the desperation type attacking leaving even numbers at the back in the last 10 mins or so)

any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

Taken from the f a website, the bolded and would seem key.
Harry would need to be behind the ball and the defender.
Seems to be favouring the defence.
I think that’s bad wording, that’s not the rule in practice.

Imagine it’s the last minute and Son and Kane are on a break and bearing down on goal, but no other opposition players are near them, just the keeper to beat. Kane passes to Son who is behind the ball at the time of the pass, the play would not be called offside.

As long as the player receiving the ball is behind the ball at point of release then it can’t be offside no matter the circumstance.

Var is a joke. Clear and obvious mistake - intervene and correct it.

If you have a splodge of blurred ball, and a fraction of knee possibly offside depending on the frame and where you take the line from the ball...that is not a clear and obvious mistake and the official's onfield decision should stand. Fact it took 3 mins should mean its not clear. Then to add insult to injury, the defender tries to knee the ball, meaning it wouldn't be offside anyway, right?

I think that’s bad wording, that’s not the rule in practice.

Imagine it’s the last minute and Son and Kane are on a break and bearing down on goal, but no other opposition players are near them, just the keeper to beat. Kane passes to Son who is behind the ball at the time of the pass, the play would not be called offside.

As long as the player receiving the ball is behind the ball at point of release then it can’t be offside no matter the circumstance.

You would hope that it's bad wording, but its the F A, so who knows. Probably just in there so they can fudge us over.

Because the game is entertainment and its currency is goals.

I don’t think a goal should be ruled out in a situation like this when the attacker hasn’t gained a material advantage that has unduly affected the outcome.

so why cheapen the currency?

the fewer there are the more value and impact they have

F1’s currency was close racing, so they made overtaking easy, and ruined it, it’s not the act that has value, but what it took to make it happen.

Disagree somewhat…. We had several moments of quality playing through the lines. The second half shows me that if we want to play front foot football then we can do so, we still had numerous chances despite Sporting dropping off and trying to keep what they had.

IMO the problem in the first half was that only Bentancur, Kane and (to a lesser extent) Romero were brave on the ball. In the second half the rest of the team gambled more, it showed me that many of our issues at the moment are shackles put on us by Conte.

You’re right.

If anyone blames Conte for the first half, and I do, you have to give him some credit for the second. We pushed 10 or 15 yards further up the pitch and Son and Lucas got wider to stretch the play. We destroyed them second half and had 4-5 good chances. Problem is, being that high up the pitch left us exposed at the back and we conceded 2 really good chances one of which was a sitter I couldn’t believe they missed.

Andros Townsend. Absolutely spot on with how every football fan feels I would say

"The bottom line for me, whether it's offside or onside is irrelevant. I don't like VAR for this reason. As a football fan, you're killing the raw emotion of the game. You've seen Conte running on the pitch, injured players are running on the pitch.

Harry Kane has gone mad, the fans have gone mad. And then 10 minutes later the goal gets disallowed. This is not what football is about. Football is about raw emotion. Slowly VAR is dragging out the raw emotion of the game we love."

Then you have to accept mistakes from officials.
Let's not pretend fans, players and managers didn't bring this on ourselves. The over analysing and scrutiny of every decision and berating officials when they got things wrong, including using it to justify team inadequacies.
You can't have your cake and eat it.

Was it under Conte that Chelsea had their own version of VAR that they complained about a goal we scored against them?

Back