• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool FC ***

Expectation is different to entitlement. It's not unreasonable for a club our size with the monies available to expect some modicum of achievement. 31 years of failure points to an underlying problem. Again. I don't wonder why this has happened.
giphy.gif

Now my memory isn't the greatest, especially with time lines, but up until those two defeats was all the talk not about how good city were and how many points would they win the title by?
Yep
And the subsequent results were not good
But it was called his settling in season
And they had spent a fortune too
IMG_0338.png

So nowhere near relegation. Luton are on 26 points. It’s mid table form.

I’m not saying it’s good but it’s factually an exaggeration to say it’s relegation form.
You normally need about 40 points to be safe. So if you're on 44 with 3 games left, that is, as I wrote, not far from relegation form.

To be fair our net spend in the five years post-stadium has been 4th biggest in the league, not far behind Arsenal in 3rd and ahead of Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool.
We probably need the highest net spend to fix the entirety of the squad. Unfortunately we aren't starting from the same position as the other teams you mention. Our squad needs more work than there's due to the Mish mash of managers and signings over the years. It does now look cohesive so it's looking up in that regard.

I actually clicked on that and read some comments
Apparently Ange spent £250m in one window ..
Then you see the data some knob shares and it includes January’s transfer and Kulu and Porro, both of which was deals done before Ange
Kulu Ange did confirm apparently, it was his choice supposedly to commit to the purchase. Porro though was a deferred purchase so it shouldn't count as part of Ange's total but it's fair to count in Tottenham's total.

Kulu Ange did confirm apparently, it was his choice supposedly to commit to the purchase. Porro though was a deferred purchase so it shouldn't count as part of Ange's total but it's fair to count in Tottenham's total.
Kulu was a deal done before Ange and we triggered the option
Not convinced Ange had any say in it TBH.
Happy to be corrected but that was reported a while back

Set piece goals are not because of inverted fullbacks (to the Ange critics). And when we are not chasing a game we don’t throw the FBs forward without some care.

There are issues defending. We are not aware of danger. That ball over to Salah for their first was coming. We’d had 2 let offs with a similar run and ball.

The point is: we’re not a savvy side. Neither Ange nor the players on the pitch are picking these things up and adapting. Similar against Chelsea. They had a man over at the back stick. We had 2-3 let offs. No one adjusted or picked it up. And we conceded the first goal with an overload after a couple of warnings.

Was interesting to see the Hoddle interview where he talks about Steve Perryman. How he would be a manager on the pitch, having a quick word or flagging something up. We’re a bit naive as a side, don’t gauge a game and hustle to keep in the game. When the momentum shifts we collapse at the moment. We have a lot of newish players who are quite young. So it’s understandable. But there needs to be more communication. And better defensive awareness from management through to the players on the pitch. Of course be attacking and go for the jugular, but have just as much pride and determination stopping goals too.
Unfortunately a lot of this shows that we are not very well coached, especially in a defensive sense. I know that Postecoglou doesn't do much of the coaching himself so maybe he needs to bring in some better coaches to help us.

I didn't watch the game, but from the comments it seems that Royal had a mare (unsurprisingly) at left-back. What are the thoughts on why Ange didn't put VdV there, with Dragusin next to Romero?
I think it is because our full backs do not play like traditional full backs (at least they're not supposed to). In some ways it actually makes more sense to put a reasonably tenacious central midfielder in that position instead.

Again I don't think it was as bad as the score may indicate. You could see throughout most of the first half and in the last 30 the team try to play Angeball. It just wasn't coming off, which is to be expected. We're still in year 1. But at least the signs were there. We'll need personnel changes and the players to start feeling more comfortable in the system before we get there. It is a process.
I agree with you that we were definitely braver in some of our play. Something concerning though is that we ALWAYS try to play out from the back, even when the only pass the goalkeeper can make is a dangerous one in behind our fullback who sometimes then is facing his own goalline with two or three players converging on him. When only that ball is on then I think the keeper has to go long, at the very least that might turn the opposition as well as causing them to consider whether they continue to commit so many players to their press (Liverpool pressed us with zero consequence of an early ball in behind their high line yesterday, which meant that they had even numbers and sometimes even outnumbered us as we were trying to play it out).

Its very noble trying to always play out from the back but not particularly sensible. Especially when the opposition are overcommitting to the press as Liverpool were quite often on Sunday.

We have taken quite a few hits that don’t get remembered
Doherty and Aurier spring ti to mind straight away
The players on loan have no value
Arsenal fudged us by actually offering new contracts to players under arteta and him then falling out with them. That was weird
Doherty was through gross incompetence though.

Back