• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oliver Skipp

Nah Gallagher’s an 8 for me but another like Skipp who will play anywhere
I like him by the way and think he could be a great signing
I'd take him for depth but not at flipping 50m. That for me is far more than he's worth and I'd much rather sign someone better with the ball for that kind of money, or lump that into a DM.

I’m not sure he isn’t a good fit
We haven’t seen him in his natural position
But… I’m not the boss
I'm assuming you mean the 6/DM role? He has played there a bit as a sub I think, but not a ton.

Don't think he's a good fit there. Defensively he's good in a solid structure, smart, good positionally, but struggles a bit to defend when there's more space. We have to defend transitions a lot. We need someone really mobile, aggressive and preferably fairly quick. Skipp has some of that, but one on one defensively with space to defend he's too vulnerable imo.

On the ball that role requires a lot in terms of press resistance, ball progression and ability to play in crowded areas. Skipp is tidy, but doesn't have any standout attributes that matches the requirements there.

I'm assuming you mean the 6/DM role? He has played there a bit as a sub I think, but not a ton.

Don't think he's a good fit there. Defensively he's good in a solid structure, smart, good positionally, but struggles a bit to defend when there's more space. We have to defend transitions a lot. We need someone really mobile, aggressive and preferably fairly quick. Skipp has some of that, but one on one defensively with space to defend he's too vulnerable imo.

On the ball that role requires a lot in terms of press resistance, ball progression and ability to play in crowded areas. Skipp is tidy, but doesn't have any standout attributes that matches the requirements there.
That’s literally how he played at Norwich and he did it really well
He has never played it here and I can only assume he isn’t doing it well enough in training

I'd take him for depth but not at flipping 50m. That for me is far more than he's worth and I'd much rather sign someone better with the ball for that kind of money, or lump that into a DM.
I’d pay half that
Mainly because their finances are fudged

That’s literally how he played at Norwich and he did it really well
He has never played it here and I can only assume he isn’t doing it well enough in training
Didn't watch enough of that Norwich side to say one way or the other.

Personally I don't see how he's a good fit. And I have some doubts about his role there being that similar to his role at Norwich.

What attributes to you see in him that makes him a good fit for that role?

Didn't watch enough of that Norwich side to say one way or the other.

Personally I don't see how he's a good fit. And I have some doubts about his role there being that similar to his role at Norwich.

What attributes to you see in him that makes him a good fit for that role?
Screens the defence and moves the ball quickly and efficiently
Ball retention in that role is huge and he is very good at it
He also has an awareness that is needed
Is he good enough…. I don’t know. But has he been given a chance to play that role. Not imo

A bit like PEH, Skipps ability on the ball isn’t quite elite. The way we play it’s vital that the defensive midfielder has some Modric or Dembele-like ability to beat a press.

Screens the defence and moves the ball quickly and efficiently
Ball retention in that role is huge and he is very good at it
He also has an awareness that is needed
Is he good enough…. I don’t know. But has he been given a chance to play that role. Not imo
Screens the defense really well when the team is organised. But against transitions or teams playing through our high press is a completely different thing.

Ball retention is very important, but without real ball progression ball retention isn't ever going to be enough.

I'm guessing there's a reason Ange hasn't given him much of a chance there. He doesn't see him as a good fit.

Screens the defense really well when the team is organised. But against transitions or teams playing through our high press is a completely different thing.

Ball retention is very important, but without real ball progression ball retention isn't ever going to be enough.

I'm guessing there's a reason Ange hasn't given him much of a chance there. He doesn't see him as a good fit.
Ange may not
But I always say that unless you give someone games you will never know
Kane only got games because Sherwood saw him playing elsewhere
Bale was being sold by Redknapp until he had no cover
Managers make mistakes
But I’m not convinced he is the answer but I’d prefer to see him tried there first before judging

Wouldn't want us to hold him back from a move for a reason like that.

He seems a great pro and would probably deal with it well, but keeping an academy graduate from moving because of HG regulations would just not sit well with me. Let him get on with his career if that's what he wants. Bring back KWP or Edwards instead, trust or sign a younger player and make do. Not his fault that we've failed to develop other club trained players in recent years.

He seems a great pro and would probably deal with it well, but keeping an academy graduate from moving because of HG regulations would just not sit well with me. Let him get on with his career if that's what he wants. Bring back KWP or Edwards instead, trust or sign a younger player and make do. Not his fault that we've failed to develop other club trained players in recent years.

He needs to move on, for his career and for Spurs to upgrade.

HG is an issue, but I've seen we are linked with Edwards again, could resolve the issue

Why bring back players we won’t play because they aren’t good enough …

Why bring back players we won’t play because they aren’t good enough …
Obviously I'm not saying we should bring back players we won't play.

Unless Ange has a change of opinion and rates Skipp higher than he did in the previous seasons I'm also saying we shouldn't keep a player we "won't play" (or only play in emergencies) just because he's home grown.

If you re-read my post you'll see that I give several options of what to do. If Ange and the transfer teams don't think Edwards or KWP are good enough trust some of the younger players for those squad roles. Even before we did any business this summer Skipp was at best 3rd choice for any position, I don't think we'll change that to where he's promoted to 2nd choice during the window, that's a squad role a younger player can fill.

Obviously I'm not saying we should bring back players we won't play.

Unless Ange has a change of opinion and rates Skipp higher than he did in the previous seasons I'm also saying we shouldn't keep a player we "won't play" (or only play in emergencies) just because he's home grown.

If you re-read my post you'll see that I give several options of what to do. If Ange and the transfer teams don't think Edwards or KWP are good enough trust some of the younger players for those squad roles. Even before we did any business this summer Skipp was at best 3rd choice for any position, I don't think we'll change that to where he's promoted to 2nd choice during the window, that's a squad role a younger player can fill.
I get it
I think we have an issue because of the history of poor planning
The club has to look at the championship as a breeding ground for at least HG based players sooner rather than later

I get it
I think we have an issue because of the history of poor planning
The club has to look at the championship as a breeding ground for at least HG based players sooner rather than later
Agree. Poor planning along with some poor signings and unsuccessful youth development (for a lot of reasons).

Important to get those things right going forward, but for me at least getting that right doesn't involve keeping Skipp if he wants to leave.

Agree. Poor planning along with some poor signings and unsuccessful youth development (for a lot of reasons).

Important to get those things right going forward, but for me at least getting that right doesn't involve keeping Skipp if he wants to leave.
Shouldnt keep any player that’s wants to leave

Back