• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

1-0 down, but I am fairly happy with our performance. A much more competitive game than the games in America, and I think we look much improved, as you would expect as we are approaching the start of the season.

We were excellent in the first 15 minutes. They couldn't deal with us down the flanks. Lennon and Defoe both had huge chances they should have scored, and Lennon also had another good chance. We also found ourselves several times in good positions near the touchline without quite picking out a man in front.

After they got that goal out of nothing the game has been quite even. For some bizarre reason Bale and Lennon switched sides. Lennon and Walker had terrorized their left back until then, and Bale also looked dangerous. After changing sides, we have not looekd threatening down the flanks at all.

Valencia created a couple of good chances after individual mistakes by Walker and Jenas. Apart from that they have looked dangerous at times after finding space between our midfield and defence. We give away too much room there at times. They have also threatened a couple of times on our left side defensively.

Lennon has looked very sharp. As has Walker going forward. Bale not at his very best, but looks threatening when playing on his best side. Defoe started well, along with the rest of the team. Good movement, and held the ball up well. Faded a bit later on in the half. Vertonghen has looked goon on the ball. Brings the ball out well from defense and sets up attacks for us. I don't think our defending has been as bad as some peopel say. We made a couple of individual mistakes, and have given them too much space in certain areas as I said, but overall it is not that bad. BAE has looked a bit shaky though.

Ben Arfa and Cisse are going to have a field day if we play like that. There's a lot of work to be done on the training pitch in the next week based on that defensive performance in the first half

Yeah, we basically have no central midfield when defending. Which is strange, seeing as we're playing with two central midfielders. I hope none of them plays against Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

I thought Defoe did well under the circumstances. Several times he held onto the ball when played to him under pressure, as long as we play it to him along the ground he can do that. Looked strong and quite sharp, movement was looking alright, great cross. Just starved of service for most of the half. Still think he can do well for us under AVB when we get our midfield sorted, although I'm not expecting him to be first choice.

Oh yes. Jenas and Livermore are not good enoguh as a partnership of course. But we know that. I also think Sigurdsson has struggled to get involved, and not done well enough when he has been. He needs to much time on the ball, and often ends up losing possession.

Basically

When Bale was on the left and Lennon on the right - we were playing well
When Lennon was on the left and Bale on the right - we played brick

Please AVB, don't make the same mistakes Harry did.

There's been fudge all for him to hold up. Get crap out of your system by all means but dont make brick up.

He's giving Jenas a run out , more due to limited options than anything else . Maybe it's the sway he can really say look I didn't just drop you like a cold bag of sick with no playtime etc . However face it you aren't up to par , cue for sale sign , say 500 bags . Be first be lucky

Do not blame Defoe, he has proved that he plays his best football with a partner and his worse football up front on his own, so what do we do..............

Oh don't get me wrong, I like Defoe a lot, but he simply doesnt fit this system. That's all I meant.

What I have noticed, and not only in this game but there is no-one in the middle looking for the ball to get things moving. Modric does this so so well, we are missing that sort of player. If we lose Modric we really have to replace him with that sort of player.

Not really a knee jerk but have always said this - our squad needs some beefing up. It is not that great a squad.

We dont even have a strong 11 anymore. No striker, no ball playing midfielder and a bit of a dodgy defence.

The spine needs fixing.

Basically

When Bale was on the left and Lennon on the right - we were playing well
When Lennon was on the left and Bale on the right - we played brick

Please AVB, don't make the same mistakes Harry did.

It's happened too many times already under AVB

This was one of the major plus factors for Harry going... but then AVB still persists with it!

It's happened too many times already under AVB

This was one of the major plus factors for Harry going... but then AVB still persists with it!

Grass aint always greener.

Then again I think AVB is still experimenting. I can see why Harry and I can see why AVB have done the whole swap sides thing. Is it more effective? No.

Wish sky still had player cam...I'd love to watch Jenas for 90 minutes.

fudge it, They should make a movie on it.

Jenas: 21st Century Portrait II

We don't have a right to hold games, it is subject to licensing and we would not be able to get one because the game could not be effectively policed

Well considering we play at home 1st September to Norwich whilst the ParaOlympics being on the same policing will still be in action.

The ParaOlympics is just as a sellout as the able bodied games has been.

Even West Ham kick off at 12:45 live game on tv home to Fulham on that day... London derby!!

Orient are playing two away games though on the 1st and 8th.

Back