• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

I've framed the post and now have it on my wall.

Think the only people that like it are presumably ones who haven't read the conan doyle books, haven't seen any of the various programs over the years and generally like the brick that guy richie has churned out (Lock and Snatch aside).

I've read the books, have seen many TV adaptations of the series, and think a lot of Guy Ritchie's stuff is brick. I like the movies nonetheless.

Like I said somewhere before, I didn't expect to see a perfect adaptation of the books when I looked at the posters depicting Robert Downey Jr. dodging bullets while Watson beat up goons with his magnificent martial arts. I adjusted my views accordingly, and I found both films to be a fun experience. I would have liked there to have been a bit more sleuthing and a bit less Tony Stark-ing, but overall, both movies were fun to watch. I'd love, absolutely love a movie based mainly on the novels, but I feel they wouldn't translate very well. The Adventure of the Dancing Men, for example, is a bit too short to be put to film, and would likely bore most modern movie-goers (shame, but there it is). Sigh.

Still, I live in eternal hope.

What exactly do you expect to see when you buy a ticket to watch the Avengers? Drama? Deep political discussion? an earnest exploration of the human themes of love, intolerance an depression in an uncaring world?

No. You expect loud explosions, ridiculous battles between superheroes and some assorted identikit enemies, and 'look at my flying carrier!' special effects.

Judge a movie on its merits, and on its ability to provide what it advertises, mate. The Avengers movie is a loud, fun and entertaining way to pass a couple of hours. If I wanted deep thought in movies, I'd have bought some dark French noir film full of ennui and despair.

=D>

Am i the only one who has seen Avengers and thought it was crap? Typical loud, wooden, no plot American trash for me. Far too long as well.

My main qualm with it was mainly due to the misrepresentation of Loki within the film, the actor played him well I though but, the way he was treated by the storyline was just stupid, he was made out to be pitiful and just a joke of a character, it really was a shame to see such a great villain (in myth and marvel) be put to waste, I think the film was okay i guess but, there's been a lowering of standards for films for a while now and okay seems to be the pinnacle of success for marvel at the moment (though I thought the film thor was quite good and the first spiderman was decent, Ray Maleno (sp? i mean doc ock) saved the second film) with Captain America being an absolute waste of time. I try to relax and watch some of these movies to have fun and enjoy it but, when I watch these films there's always a little voice in my head saying 'this is brick and you know it is'. I liked the Hulk though, the bloke the've got to play him suits banner to a tee.

My question about Avengers is when the aliens attack through the energy wormhole thing, what are they trying to achieve? What I mean is they dont seem to have an agenda, they kill, they take prisoners they dont all gang up on the superheroes as they should, I didn't really get it.

*****SPOILERS*****

Loki has the tesseract, they want the tesseract so they can take over other planets, so they help him try and invade the earth (..or New York) so when they take over they get that as the prize and Loki takes control of the Earth.

That was the gist of it I seem to recall, although their tactics were rather brick I must admit, maybe they didn't expect the 4/5 strongest beings, including a gamma radiated near GHod and a Demi GHod to be in NY at the same time, rotten luck I would say!

Last edited:
My question about Avengers is when the aliens attack through the energy wormhole thing, what are they trying to achieve? What I mean is they dont seem to have an agenda, they kill, they take prisoners they dont all gang up on the superheroes as they should, I didn't really get it.

Its just the general 'we're invading'
'oh no!'
'you're going to be enslaved'
'Oh no!'
'we know all of your secrets and are highly advanced but, don't know anything about the superheroes and we have no battle strategy, we thought we'd just swarm in and take over'
'oh.... um okay'

Its just the general 'we're invading'
'oh no!'
'you're going to be enslaved'
'Oh no!'
'we know all of your secrets and are highly advanced but, don't know anything about the superheroes and we have no battle strategy, we thought we'd just swarm in and take over'
'oh.... um okay'

I must admit this was my only real problem with the film. But I guess there was only so much they could successfully cram into the film - spending more time explaining the alien race would have taken away from the super heroes (the main attraction).

I know its all about the avengers and stuff but, most super hero comics by marvel are in new york, I don't know why but, it really really gets up my face that they make no mention that they don't either in the avengers comics (which they do) or that they are busy because I'm not sure if anyone apart from the avengers noticed that there was a fecking alien invasion and other heroes were missing, what did they oversleep or just miss it or something? , a rolling clarification in the credits would be nice.

Is it me or are all of Sacha Baron Cohen's films where he plays the lead role the same? Quirky character comes to America and is a fish out of water.

Is it me or are all of Sacha Baron Cohen's films where he plays the lead role the same? Quirky character comes to America and is a fish out of water.

Its cheap comedy, being inappropriate and "shocking" will always get laughs. Fair play to him though he's got a fit women and making stacks of cash

OK

I have promised myself I will watch two movie suggestions from on here - as so many of you are ****s and think I have brick taste.

I want to watch them today. Preferably one comedy and maybe one action/dram/thriller type movie.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

OK

I have promised myself I will watch two movie suggestions from on here - as so many of you are ****s and think I have brick taste.

I want to watch them today. Preferably one comedy and maybe one action/dram/thriller type movie.

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE
For the thriller/action, maybe Hanna? if you want a more recent one.

Going to watch Safe tonight. You know what you're going to get from a Jason Statham film. Far better than watching the final of BGT

Been Ill the last couple of days, so I've managed to get through a few films.

Red State - good idea poorly executed. First half hour or so built up the tension well and I thought it was gonna be a great movie. Very disappointing.

This is Spinal Tap - Love it. Probably my favourite comedy of all time.

Deer Hunter - An absolute classic. Easily in my top 10 films of all time.

Captain America - brick

Fanboys - fairly amusing. A lot better than I was expecting. Enjoyed the Star Wars references

This is Spinal Tap - Love it. Probably my favourite comedy of all time.

apparently if you have the dvd/blu ray watching with the directors commentary is almost like watching a whole new movie - it's done in character and is meant to be hilarious

OK

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Get the Gringo

Back