• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Im a member of BFI and the Value for money kicks the arse of any sticky floored cinema near me which is great for my purpose. Otherwise I find a trip to the cinema hugely expensive for what it is these days. Plus the BFI tickles my itch for indy and big time films as well as classics like Jaws

If i go it's usually in the afternoon during a weekday so a bit cheaper think £6.

The Indie cinema in my orignal home town charges £3.50 a ticket during the week and £4 at weekends for adults
Massive old cinema that had been refurbed too and it's almost always busy

Most tend to let you take alcohol in, and even in a glass, because the adults behave like adults; which is a nice difference too.

Cinemas have always been mostly empty, probably since tv was rolled out in the late 50s. I don't think the financial model needs anything like full seats (costs per screening are fairly minimal).

There's also been a growth in more indie arthouse cinemas - the Curzon and Light chains, the Europa group etc. So they cater for that crowd, whereas Cineworld can show Avatar all day on all 16 screens.

There's around 170m cinema tickets sold a year in the UK, and that's been steady/marginally increasing for around 20 years.

Cineworld filed for bankruptcy earlier this year did they not? The box office takings in America are down compared to pre covid times. Maybe that’s down to too many sequels and a lack of original ideas. But covid has decimated so many industries.

I found it encouraging that the end of year brought a flurry of really good films – Banchees of Inisherin, Aftersun, Decision to Leave, del Toro's Pinocchio and My Father’s Dragon.

After a year of basically, absolute brick, I hope this is a sign of that this first batch of post-Covid films have brought the quality back up to pre-2020 levels. I hope 2022 was just a dearth while studios cleared their vaults and put out half-arsed ‘covid-protocols’ efforts, and normal service is now resuming.
Just watching this now. It is very good.

"You will be pure fudged" LOL.

Last edited:
He must be very wealthy already though. Must be a passion project for him. Don’t get me wrong, they are not bad films, but i wouldn’t put either of the Avatar films in his Cameron’s top 5 films let alone any other list you could think of.

I haven't watched the second one. I find that dances with wolves staring space smurfs as a passion project a bit strange. But 5 films and how long it will take must be a story he really wants to tell. Fair enough he's earned the right. Matt damon must be gutted though.

A follow up to Knives out is coming out on Netflix on the 23rd, Glass Onion (what a song btw), can't wait to watch it but probably not going to happen over the festive period.

fudging loved the first one (even the OTT accent of Daniel Craig - perfect whodunnit style film with a quite brilliant cast so hoping the 2nd will match it but a straight to Netflix approach is a shame imo.

Just watched Glass Onion. Quite enjoyable and great cast. Daniel Craig does quite well to alter his stuffy James Bond image.

Read some heavy criticism of Avatar (Guardian) but my daughter, who works in the post-production end of the film biz, arrived for Christmas yesterday with great praise for the technical achievements of the movie.

Once she had spelled out what impressed her, my wife and I were convinced and will continue our tradition of spending the afternoon of her birthday (Dec. 31) at a movie cinema, most often watching a sci-fi flick.

Read some heavy criticism of Avatar (Guardian) but my daughter, who works in the post-production end of the film biz, arrived for Christmas yesterday with great praise for the technical achievements of the movie.

Once she had spelled out what impressed her, my wife and I were convinced and will continue our tradition of spending the afternoon of her birthday (Dec. 31) at a movie cinema, most often watching a sci-fi flick.
The film equivalent of noodly jazz then - where the makers enjoy it much more than the audience

Just watched Glass Onion. Quite enjoyable and great cast. Daniel Craig does quite well to alter his stuffy James Bond image.

Glad to hear!

Going by the first one I bet he enjoyed reprising the role, although it'll be a shame if Jamie Lee Curtis + Ana de Armas aren't in it (which I expect is the case).

As expected I didn't catch it last night and now we enter the "watching dirge in a chaotic setting because a lot of family + kids are around" phase but I did fit in "it's a wonderful life" as a pre-emptive bit of culture - What's Christmas cheer without references to financial collapse, jumping off bridges and accidently poisoning children?!

Back