• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Have to say Violent Night was a massive disappointment. The script is simply terrible. It wants to be Home Alone featuring John McClane, but somehow it's just incredibly boring. We barely get to know the characters and the pacing is very uneven. I completely lost interest during one of its slow, talky scenes and didn't even finish it.

Have to say Violent Night was a massive disappointment. The script is simply terrible. It wants to be Home Alone featuring John McClane, but somehow it's just incredibly boring. We barely get to know the characters and the pacing is very uneven. I completely lost interest during one of its slow, talky scenes and didn't even finish it.

Pity the trailer looked good. I'll give it a go at some point possibly.

Watched it last night. 10/10 for the visuals, cinematography etc. Not so much for the story. Enjoyed it, but was about half an hour too long. Not sure if another 3 sequels are warranted. Would prefer if he took over the terminator franchise again and straightened it out. Seems like a bit of a waste of his talent to be spending so much of his career on Avatar. I think 20th Century Studios are releasing the Avatar sequels over the next 700 years.

3? Another classic case of rinsing out the cash cow, so many lack luster franchises out there now

On that note, just saw they are making a sequel to twister. Hollywood is just dead. Turn the machines off please.

Properly dead, I mean I get most things are about money but film is suppose to be a creative industry, an art. Just all seems abit lazy now with either 20 sequels or these cross pollinated franchises....

A follow up to Knives out is coming out on Netflix on the 23rd, Glass Onion (what a song btw), can't wait to watch it but probably not going to happen over the festive period.

fudging loved the first one (even the OTT accent of Daniel Craig - perfect whodunnit style film with a quite brilliant cast so hoping the 2nd will match it but a straight to Netflix approach is a shame imo.

Properly dead, I mean I get most things are about money but film is suppose to be a creative industry, an art. Just all seems abit lazy now with either 20 sequels or these cross pollinated franchises....

It's about making money with the odd arty film thrown in in an effort to win an oscar. It's not all hollywoods fault. They have to raise money to make a film (the studios don't finance them alone) and the people with the money are more likely to invest in films that are proven to make money. So sequels or remakes get funding. Or a director that has good pedigree.

It's about making money with the odd arty film thrown in in an effort to win an oscar. It's not all hollywoods fault. They have to raise money to make a film (the studios don't finance them alone) and the people with the money are more likely to invest in films that are proven to make money. So sequels or remakes get funding. Or a director that has good pedigree.

It's just a shame really, long gone are the days of Coppola mortgaging his house to finish master peices or being sacked from the Godfather only to sack the cast round him the day before yo save his skin. I'm waffling but films at the top of my passions and the industry is just so limp compared to yesteryear in my opinion

That said TV has taken over the arty side because for every Hulk there is a I know this much is true

It's just a shame really, long gone are the days of Coppola mortgaging his house to finish master peices or being sacked from the Godfather only to sack the cast round him the day before yo save his skin. I'm waffling but films at the top of my passions and the industry is just so limp compared to yesteryear in my opinion

Hoping that one day streaming will pick up the slack. But it's in it's infancy at the moment and a bit of a wild west. Everyone is trying to create content to gain market share. Some good some guff. Hopefully it settles down and they concentrate on producing quality over quantity.

Tbf there have been some great films made recently. Loved dune and can't wait for part 2. Loved joker and was hoping they wouldn't make a sequel, but they are ofcourse.

3? Another classic case of rinsing out the cash cow, so many lack luster franchises out there now

He wants to make 5 Avatar films in total but whether they get the green light will largely depend upon the success of this one I suspect. This film is about water, the last one was on land, the next one will probably be in the dessert or some other setting like that.

I’m rooting for the film to be a big success as the cinema is hanging on a knife edge with Cineworld struggling and the box office takings in America continue to slide. I don’t want cinemas to close and everything to be on steaming. The industry may change as a result of covid with less films being shown at cinemas and I’d be fine with that, but big films like Top Gun, Jurassic Park, Avatar, James Bond and The Avengers need to be watched on the big screen.

He wants to make 5 Avatar films in total but whether they get the green light will largely depend upon the success of this one I suspect. This film is about water, the last one was on land, the next one will probably be in the dessert or some other setting like that.

I’m rooting for the film to be a big success as the cinema is hanging on a knife edge with Cineworld struggling and the box office takings in America continue to slide. I don’t want cinemas to close and everything to be on steaming. The industry may change as a result of covid with less films being shown at cinemas and I’d be fine with that, but big films like Top Gun, Jurassic Park, Avatar, James Bond and The Avengers need to be watched on the big screen.

Cinemas need to demand more from the price of a ticket. For the biggest films, openning weekend they get almost nothing. Making money from food and drink sales.

I found it encouraging that the end of year brought a flurry of really good films – Banchees of Inisherin, Aftersun, Decision to Leave, del Toro's Pinocchio and My Father’s Dragon.

After a year of basically, absolute brick, I hope this is a sign of that this first batch of post-Covid films have brought the quality back up to pre-2020 levels. I hope 2022 was just a dearth while studios cleared their vaults and put out half-arsed ‘covid-protocols’ efforts, and normal service is now resuming.

Cinemas need to demand more from the price of a ticket. For the biggest films, openning weekend they get almost nothing. Making money from food and drink sales.

My local Cineworld has 16 screens. Go and watch a low budget, indie film and it will be 90% empty but it’s been like that for years. Maybe they just need to cut the number of screens? Would also help if films were shorter IMO. Avatar for example is 3 hours long which means they can only show if x number of times a day compared to a film that lasts 1hr 45 mins.

My local Cineworld has 16 screens. Go and watch a low budget, indie film and it will be 90% empty but it’s been like that for years. Maybe they just need to cut the number of screens? Would also help if films were shorter IMO. Avatar for example is 3 hours long which means they can only show if x number of times a day compared to a film that lasts 1hr 45 mins.

Cinemas have always been mostly empty, probably since tv was rolled out in the late 50s. I don't think the financial model needs anything like full seats (costs per screening are fairly minimal).

There's also been a growth in more indie arthouse cinemas - the Curzon and Light chains, the Europa group etc. So they cater for that crowd, whereas Cineworld can show Avatar all day on all 16 screens.

There's around 170m cinema tickets sold a year in the UK, and that's been steady/marginally increasing for around 20 years.

Cinemas have always been mostly empty, probably since tv was rolled out in the late 50s. I don't think the financial model needs anything like full seats (costs per screening are fairly minimal).

There's also been a growth in more indie arthouse cinemas - the Curzon and Light chains, the Europa group etc. So they cater for that crowd, whereas Cineworld can show Avatar all day on all 16 screens.

There's around 170m cinema tickets sold a year in the UK, and that's been steady/marginally increasing for around 20 years.

Im a member of BFI and the Value for money kicks the arse of any sticky floored cinema near me which is great for my purpose. Otherwise I find a trip to the cinema hugely expensive for what it is these days. Plus the BFI tickles my itch for indy and big time films as well as classics like Jaws

The Indie cinema in my orignal home town charges £3.50 a ticket during the week and £4 at weekends for adults
Massive old cinema that had been refurbed too and it's almost always busy

Back