• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

I really enjoy the Raimi Spidermans, the Burton and Nolan Batmans, and the Del Toro Blade. But I think having proper directors who came from indie films, rather than studio hacks, was the thing that made those 10 or so exceptional, compared to the rest of the chaff.

Most of the directors of the mcu were from indie films or even television in the case of the russos. Chloe zhao, taika waititi, scott derrickson, james gunn...

Most of the directors of the mcu were from indie films or even television in the case of the russos. Chloe zhao, taika waititi, scott derrickson, james gunn...

The writing is a bigger problem than who the director is. Most superhero movies now are all the same. A brief and superficial introduction to the characters and their world followed by two hours of pointless action scenes where the only story is the setup of the action scenes. Case in point: Black Adam.

There's something up though isn't there? They are maybe too early career/unestablished that any vision of theirs gets bullied out by the corporate machine. Perhaps they don't have the power that the directors had in the examples I gave to make their own creative vision.

Maybe its actually a time thing, because after nailing the Spidermans, Sam Raimi more recent attempt was apparently a car crash (Doctor Strange). So perhaps its the corporate control being more now than it was 15 or so years ago, which is killing all creativity, even from otherwise good filmmakers (I love Wilderpeople and Boy by Taika Waititi)?

There's something up though isn't there? They are maybe too early career/unestablished that any vision of theirs gets bullied out by the corporate machine. Perhaps they don't have the power that the directors had in the examples I gave to make their own creative vision.

Maybe its actually a time thing, because after nailing the Spidermans, Sam Raimi more recent attempt was apparently a car crash (Doctor Strange). So perhaps its the corporate control being more now than it was 15 or so years ago, which is killing all creativity, even from otherwise good filmmakers (I love Wilderpeople and Boy by Taika Waititi)?

They have a formula thst makes them a lot of money, so they'll flog it to death then find something new.

It's exactly that, it's cut and paste movies

They have a formula thst makes them a lot of money, so they'll flog it to death then find something new.

The Albert and Costello approach! In the 40s and 50s, franchises' final death throw, after they'd bleed absolutely everything out of everything, was always to make a 'with Albert and Costello' film.

Agree on your first paragraph, my intention wasn't to imply it isn't brilliant and a film should linger with you to help you explore the themes etc

I perhaps wasn't clear on the provisions point, I'm saying that there wasn't much of a stark contrast (beyond the decor / service and warmth, which I do appreciate is a massive, massive difference) as those on the front line always appear to have a cig on the go, or are munching on some food, or have liquor which they share willingly to anyone nearby. Stuff like that doesn't usually last too long.

And yep, futility is probably the best word for WW1 (and probably all wars in the long run). My point is the soldiers don't / didn't get the chance to gaze solemnly at the horrors around them as they draw their last breath or do the classic "tell my wife I love her" trope - The brutality of war (at least according to my history teacher on a trip to the Somme) doesn't allow for such reflection -
It's only my opinion but Paul would have just got finished off in the bunker

Glad we agree on BoB! Pretty devestated the series about pilots never got up and running but The pacific was excellent too.
Agreed. I enjoyed "All Quiet on the Western Front" overall, but there were a few glaring moments when I thought "eh, no way would he share his one piece of food/drink with that noob".
They literally had nothing to eat or drink, standing ankle deep in muddy water, people aren't THAT altruistic.
Likewise the French frontline where they were gorging on a banquet in the trenches!

For me it was actually odd to have a film with no Brits nor Yanks, it is actually strange to see the French fighting rather than running away or being "ze resistance".

I thought the ending was
really good in that they were forced to go back for one last fight for no good reason with 15 minutes to go, that is really gut wrenching. I would have tripped and hidden in the mud / puddles / horse for the last 10 minutes. Sod that

Continuing on the war film theme I decided to watch Grave of the Fireflies (rather than watching overgrown children stomp their feet on the internet about the Ingerland game). It's been on the watchlist for a long time and I had the rare opportunity to take it in.

Beautiful, tragic and an interesting level of predictable in that you know how everything will end up from the first scene but it's still gripping nonetheless.

It does seem almost distasteful to suggest one can get an idea of the horrors of war from a comfy sofa watching a TV screen but it does shine a light on how innocent people are affected. Here's potentially the most obvious (naive even) statement i'll make today but it doesn't seem fair or right, but such is life right?

I really enjoy the Raimi Spidermans, the Burton and Nolan Batmans, and the Del Toro Blade. But I think having proper directors who came from indie films, rather than studio hacks, was the thing that made those 10 or so exceptional, compared to the rest of the chaff.

Hellboy 2 with del Toro directing is really good. The real problem with Marvel now is every film is exactly the same, it is painful to watch. They are identikit to a shameful level. I did enjoy The last Spider-Man though as they mixed it up with all the old actors retuning. Thought they pulled that off.

Anybody seen the new Avatar yet ??
A few of my pals have been and they thought it was awesome
Am going next Friday, glad we've booked an Everyman so we have a comfy couch

Anybody seen the new Avatar yet ??
A few of my pals have been and they thought it was awesome
Am going next Friday, glad we've booked an Everyman so we have a comfy couch

Watched it last night. 10/10 for the visuals, cinematography etc. Not so much for the story. Enjoyed it, but was about half an hour too long. Not sure if another 3 sequels are warranted. Would prefer if he took over the terminator franchise again and straightened it out. Seems like a bit of a waste of his talent to be spending so much of his career on Avatar. I think 20th Century Studios are releasing the Avatar sequels over the next 700 years.

Back