• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

The biggest Defoe, is he is "no good at link play at moves break down because of him".

This is simply not true, he loses the ball less than every other striker in the PL, his passing accuracy is exceptionally high for a striker [ the highest 2 years running in the PL.

He is not a donkey [ like Bent could be called ]. The downside points are, he gets muscled off the ball too much, he is not good in the air and drifts out of the game too much.

Well the stats don't lie right - Defoe was the most offside player in the Premiership last season, and by some distance too - twice the offsides of the next closest player (saw this in Four Four Two).

Adebayor will be his main rival this season I reckon!

Adebayor is currently leading the league with 46 offsides so far this season at an average of 1.9 per match (although he has had 3 goals incorrectly ruled offside as has been said) just ahead of Bent and Hernandez on 1.8 and Suarez on 1.7.

RvP, Ba and Aguerro all average 0.8 offsides a game.

Defoe is straying offside a mere 0.5 times per match so far this season, perhaps indicative of an improvement in his awareness but the fact that he rarely plays a full 90mins probably helps keep that figure down too.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/25...erStatistics/England-Premier-League-2011-2012

Premier League stats | Sky Sports

A player who plays off the shoulder will generally be offside on more occasions than someone like VDV who drops deep so deep he may as well be a sweeper.

Players like Defoe and Bent play the percentages game. They make 15 runs a game knowing that they may be offside on 10 of them but in those five they will spring the offside trap and they have the pace to get away. Its simple.

But it's not simple. Obviously the bolded bit above is true. But, as I've said before, IMO Defoe doesn't time his runs well and lacks awareness of whether or not he is offside (and of where he is moving more generally as well). Bent's movement is much better IMO. He excels at bending his runs. Keane was great at timing his runs. Whereas Defoe often starts from an offside position, and then continues to run forward in a straight line without trying to get back onside.

The biggest Defoe, is he is "no good at link play at moves break down because of him".

This is simply not true, he loses the ball less than every other striker in the PL, his passing accuracy is exceptionally high for a striker [ the highest 2 years running in the PL.

He is not a donkey [ like Bent could be called ]. The downside points are, he gets muscled off the ball too much, he is not good in the air and drifts out of the game too much.

Give him the ball to feet.

Also, the not good in the air myth may be eased now that Hoofson is injured for a while.

The other myth about defoe is the one that he only scores at the Lane, 15 goals this season and 7 of them away. He is the best striker at the club and works well with Ade.

But it's not simple. Obviously the bolded bit above is true. But, as I've said before, IMO Defoe doesn't time his runs well and lacks awareness of whether or not he is offside (and of where he is moving more generally as well). Bent's movement is much better IMO. He excels at bending his runs. Keane was great at timing his runs. Whereas Defoe often starts from an offside position, and then continues to run forward in a straight line without trying to get back onside.

Wanna fight this out?

At the risk of turning this into a Bent v Defoe debate, I do agree Bents moving is marginally better but he is such a brick footballer whilst Defoe has developed his game and you can see it.

Defoe does have his fair share of being offside especially when he shouldnt be but I guess he is playing the percentages.

Defoe seems to polarise opinions more than virtually anyone else at the club. I think those that dont particularly rate Defoe home in on two things. Offside and link up play. Those that like him point to his goalscoring record, finishing ability and his lack of opportunity this season. Personally, I believe most of the frustration with Defoe is that he has he potential to be a great all-rounder. His offsides are galling and I believe result from the fact that he has lost a yard or two of pace and therefore seems to think he must get an unfair advantage to be in on goal. What I dont understand is why he never seems to look down the line to time his run better. Also he doesnt have a great first touch and a lot of moves break down with him either losing it or being offside. That is why I think Arry has not played him so much as he is an impediment to free flowing football and why he prefers VDV.

Defoe on his Team-mates

[video=youtube;BO12BlAA9Bw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BO12BlAA9Bw[/video]

Not sure Niko is going to be to happy! And I'm surprised he said Walker's fastest when we have Lennon and Bale.

Walker is definitely the quickest.

I would have thought Ade to be the longest in the shower but what the fudge do i know

this is what i wish we had more of with the club. great video.

who do we need to talk to to get more player interviews and insider media?

[video=youtube;BO12BlAA9Bw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BO12BlAA9Bw[/video]

Not sure Niko is going to be to happy! And I'm surprised he said Walker's fastest when we have Lennon and Bale.

Walker is by far the fastest player, maybe Bale is running with the ball I'm not sure but I cant think of a quicker player in the PL than Walker....

Bale would be quicker over 400-800m but over 100 it is easily Walker.

Walcott against Walker would be some race

Dawson the slowest!! no way. Hat to be Rafa or Thudd, Rafa always looks to me like someone has tied his hamstrings in a knot, and he is running in MUD!

Dawson the slowest!! no way. Hat to be Rafa or Thudd, Rafa always looks to me like someone has tied his hamstrings in a knot, and he is running in MUD!

You know those things those bunjee things that are tied around you and you struggle running forwards as the bunjee rope is always pulling you back? Rafa reminds me of. Its as if he has a bunjee rope tied around his waist and he is being pulled back.

You know those things those bunjee things that are tied around you and you struggle running forwards as the bunjee rope is always pulling you back? Rafa reminds me of. Its as if he has a bunjee rope tied around his waist and he is being pulled back.

Is Niko slower than VDV?

Back