• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Capello Resigns / New England Manager Speculation Thread

Hmm...you know, Mourinho's Inter really was a defensive beast. That Inter side was indestructible when arrayed in two banks of four on the edge of the penalty area. Gosh, so utterly defensive. But we still won against them at the lane and gave them a real fright at the San Siro. How the hell did that happen? We beat the ultra-defensive European champions, managed by ultra-ultra-ultra defensive Rafa Benitez? I guess the reason we lost 4-3 and won 3-1 is because we played better than a hybrid of Barcelona and 70's Ajax, zipping the ball around at light speed and reaching a destination before we'd set off, our superman-like laser vision burning through the swarms of black and blue shirts.

Or it could be because they played a really high line against us. You know, their back four on the half-way line, closing down opponents near the center circle? Recycling possession from mid-way, much like Barca do? trying to play a fluent pass-and-press game? Gosh, they really looked like they were trying to play a high line and only put four defenders near the center circle, leaving the rest free to advance further up the pitch. I could have sworn that was why Bale blazed through them with such ease; because they were actually trying to attack.Because they weren't sitting back, and were willing to go forward leaving gaps in their back-line. True, that tactic didn't appear to work, but that seemed only to be the case because their defenders were slow as molasses. If they were faster, it could have been a beautifully fast-paced system, much like our own. But I guess I just imagined all that. No, no way Sam Allardyce Mk2 was trying to change his tactics to be more adventurous. He doesn't work that way. He's Park The Bus Rafa! Only plays for a draw! or a 1-0 win! you know, 1-0 to the liverpool and all that? Except all those times when they beat teams 4, 5, 6, 7, even 8-0 of course. Those were aberrations. All those resounding wins against the likes of Madrid, Besiktas and Marseille? pfft! pah! Insignificant! The fact that he introduced a radically different attacking approach when he joined Valencia? Pah! unfounded rumours. All those intricate, incisive passing movements that so harried PL defenses and allowed Torres, Gerrard et al to score hatloads? Not for me, oh no sir! Rafa is a defensive dullard, and you can strike me down if I'm wrong, yes-sir-ree!

Or maybe we won because Benitez was trying to implement an attacking approach, the same way he implemented one at Valencia and the same way he led Liverpool to score 77 goals in the 2008-2009 PL season, something we haven't managed in the PL era to date, unless I'm mistaken. He's not a defensive coach; he's an organized one. If you label all organized coaches as defensive, then every game in the PL would finish either 1-0 or 0-0, with the exception of ours which would finish 566565333-4454544.

With regard to his time at Inter a good coach recognises the strengths and weaknesses of his players and plays to them accordingly. That is what Benitez should have done until he could bring in the players that would enable him to play in the way you described.

with regards to the Liverpool stats, I'm pretty sure Arsenal fans say the same things about their late 80's and early 90's teams which in facT played brick lump it football, which is exactly how i recall Benny Hill's liverfool sides playing, and I know that i was far from alone in that opinion at the time...you would regularly hear fans from a variety of clubs moaning about boring Liverpool!

With regard to his time at Inter a good coach recognises the strengths and weaknesses of his players and plays to them accordingly. That is what Benitez should have done until he could bring in the players that would enable him to play in the way you described.

with regards to the Liverpool stats, I'm pretty sure Arsenal fans say the same things about their late 80's and early 90's teams which in facT played brick lump it football, which is exactly how i recall Benny Hill's liverfool sides playing, and I know that i was far from alone in that opinion at the time...you would regularly hear fans from a variety of clubs moaning about boring Liverpool!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16960250

Listen to the Keith Mills interview - I AM SPITTING BLOOD HERE!!

'You wouldn't want to stop an employee from taking the biggest job in world football'

WHAT THE fudge??

England and the media are doing my head in!!

FA PRESS CONFERENCE
FA chairman David Bernstein: "Popular opinion will matter. We want to make an appointment that the public are positive about but we can't be driven by that.

"You have to do it professionally and with an open mind and you have to put a short list together, we also have to bear in mind the wishes of the supporters."

There's only one possible outcome here then.

mate are you a mentalist? What people are correctly saying is that Benitez had a good team when he took over enabling them to make those achievements...and let's not forget how flukey they were in beating chelscum and ac Milan when they won the cl!! Louis tarcia's goal that never was ring any bells? By the time he left Benitez had all but turned liverpoo into a mid table side, finishing 7th. Do I want him at spurs fudge NO!!!!!

How is he responsible for the carpet-bagging owners? He was the one who brought in Alonso, Reina, Mascherano, Skrtel, Agger, Benayoun, Kuyt, Lucas, Johnson and Torres, all of whom were pivotal players at some point between 2004 and now. The team he inherited had, among others, Djimi Traore, Josemi, Scott Carson and the very often injured Kewell, Cisse and Baros. An inherently unstable nucleus. For four years after Istanbul, though, they grew in confidence, and became one of the most powerful teams in the land based on their outstanding front-line and midfield. Garcia, Alonso(who was bought by Benitez), Gerrard, and Riise versus Alonso, Mascherano, Kuyt, Gerrard and Riera/Benayoun. I know which one I'd choose. Here's a hint; the one with the real torres, the supremely dangerous one, at the tip of the spear. With a solid defense and a great keeper behind it. So I don't see how Benitez single-handedly destroyed Liverpool before leaving with an evil smirk; that, you can rest on the door of Hicks and Gillett.

As for being flukey, I'd rather be flukey once in a while and win the CL than play imperiously but go out to someone like Wisla Krakow or the like in the semi-final.

Benitez was the one who wanted to replace Alonso with Barry. Does wonders for a player when he knows his manager wants rid of him.

Houllier left behind a really good team, Benitez added a few top players, they won the CL and came close to winning the league, but after that he gradually replaced their best players with overpriced, inferior players.

Benitez was the one who wanted to replace Alonso with Barry. Does wonders for a player when he knows his manager wants rid of him.

Houllier left behind a really good team, Benitez added a few top players, they won the CL and came close to winning the league, but after that he gradually replaced their best players with overpriced, inferior players.

Absolutely. Benitez presided over the erosion of Liverpool as a real footballing force after that CL success. Would be a terrible appointment.

No hard feelings at all. I said quite a few months ago on here that England is the top job in England. He has managed Wet Spam, won FA Cup with Portsmouth, doing very well with us in CL last season, and this season. The next step would be Man United??? Probably not as we are currently 3rd. The next step is England. Every English manager would want to manage England so I would wish him all the best if he took the job and actually watch England more and get more involved and interested.

I would definitely be disappointed though.

What was he supposed to have done, then? Continue playing the two banks of four, and be caricatured as just another Mou imitator, trying to feebly copy the tactics of his predecessor? If he did, he'd be accused of hanging on to Mou's coat-tails, and everyone in England would call him dour and defensive. So he tried to implement an attacking approach ,like he did with his first big break, Valencia. He failed; that's true. But I would rather he tried to impose his own style on the club and failed as opposed to imitating Mourinho while hoping that the mythical funds( that Inter can't afford to spend) will arrive one day. But either way, it seems he can't win.

As for his 'boring; style of football, I watched quite a bit of it. It relied on pace through the flanks supporting the man in the middle, with Gerrard playing just off him and Alonso scuttling around recycling possession while Mascherano hassled and bustled. Sound familiar? It should, it's almost exactly the way we play now, only they did it at a slightly lower tempo. And I can't see Benitez tellling us to slow down; after all, it's one of our main strengths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbi5u61aAKI&feature=related

Can't some teletext users tell all the ogres to fcuk right off and see if they'll report that too?

Imagine is the Scottish position became available tomorrow - would Rooney say SAF was the perfect fit in the middle of their title campaign?

Or Wenger for France?

no one gives a fukc about us mate. on Sky Sports last night it was as though everyone had forgotten he was under contract at Spurs. It was like 2 hours later when the Sky Sports person said, "remember though, he is under contract at Spurs".

tossers.

Don't give a brick about England, so I honestly couldn't give a monkey's who gets the job, as long as it's not our 'Arry

Personally I think Alex Ferguson would be the perfect England manager. Sure, he could retire after Man Utd. But wouldn't he like one last big challenge?

(no, there's not a chance in hell of it happening, but it's interesting that the pundits, the journos and the United players are all talking up Redknapp and potentially destabilising our season, but nobody is trying to destabilise United's season. tinkles me off).

i always thought Redknapp enjoyed the day to day role of being a Prem manager. I think the spells of inactivity that comes with international management will drive him potty. Something for him to think about

He bought Alonso in the first place. And yes, he wanted to replace him with Barry. That was a terrifyingly bad decision. I agree. But which other top-class Liverpool player did he sell? I don't seem to recall any particularly good ones. (Unless you count Crouch and Bellamy as good ones). Benitez was the man who found most of Liverpool's best players. Sure, he sold one. Do I think he'll make that mistake again? Absolutely not. Am I willing to trust him over it if he does come to Spurs? Yes. Why? Because his record is kilometres better than any other manager from the PL at the moment.

Personally I think Alex Ferguson would be the perfect England manager. Sure, he could retire after Man Utd. But wouldn't he like one last big challenge?

(no, there's not a chance in hell of it happening, but it's interesting that the pundits, the journos and the United players are all talking up Redknapp and potentially destabilising our season, but nobody is trying to destabilise United's season. tinkles me off).

all the Tottenham players should start tacotering about Ferguson and Wenger being the bet candidates for the England job

the FA would be nuts to ignore Hiddink, who is available too

Back