• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Conjecture most likely. TS said he would be happy for certain players to leave this January as he didn't think they were going to take us forward (paraphrasing here), except they both are still on the books. A reasonable guess would be that Baldini and Levy kept hold of them for some reason, and that reason could be a new manager.

Like it or not Tim has no job security. Speculating about who will take over from Tim, does not mean we dont support the guy, its just means we accept the reality that 1) Levy has a trigger finger 2) Chances are we wont get fourth in which case it is likely Tim would lose his job 3) Tim does not have a world class reputation or that much club level experience, and following the world cup there are likely to be available plenty of managers who will.

Id love for tim to get the job long term if he can get us playing well and consistently.

Conjecture most likely. TS said he would be happy for certain players to leave this January as he didn't think they were going to take us forward (paraphrasing here), except they both are still on the books. A reasonable guess would be that Baldini and Levy kept hold of them for some reason, and that reason could be a new manager.

Or no one matched our valuation

We need to keep our options open on the managerial front.

Timterim/Shermament manager

He speaks his mind quite bluntly with a confidence that comes more from experience than his ego although admittedly the latter does have a presence which to be fair isn't necessarily a bad thing. The one word of warning I will add though is that whilst his efforts with the academy are well noted turning it from a near national laughing stock to a Tour de Force of The Tottenham Way which is now respected across Europe it must be mentioned that he could be the next Stuart Pearce. A coach well respected within the club (Emirates Marketing Project) given his chance and taking it quite well as the team played football which was easy on the eye and were one penalty kick away from a place in Europe, sadly though it all fell apart, in his first full season Emirates Marketing Project finished 15th and Pearce was sacked a year later.

Whilst I feel that Tim is no idiot there are signs that he could be too out spoken for the Board's liking whilst possibly confusing them somewhat by turning down the offer of funds last month as well as the lack subs or tactical changes during the visit to Hull. On the other hand the style of football has been refreshing giving players a license to thrill; already there's been goals with 16 scored in 8 league games. I feel his honesty is mistaken for being arrogant or potentially dangerous, it isn't intended to tread on thin ice but to say things as they are with a fearlessness that might give the players assurance, belief and confidence. His lack of transfers may confuse some but he may be proven right in the sense that there really isn't any need for the club spend because what is already there is good enough.

It is not as if the club are without options. If Sherwood decides to go with one up top as he did last week, he can play Christian Eriksen just off him - or maybe even either Nacer Chadli or Erik Lamela. It could even be the case that Soldado himself finds his stride in time for the business end of the season.

Either way, while Tottenham have seen less action in this transfer window that a politician wondering where his wife is, you can understand why less is more for Sherwood. Throwing money at the problem isn't always the answer. Sherwood has set about proving that from the start. Now he is intent on setting up a big finish.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...fer-window-tim-sherwood-3114773#ixzz2sgZK4zrU

Van Galls

As we all know the man's CV is immaculate league titles galore, success in Europe and a win percentage that would make most people doubt their eye sight but as we also know he has a reputation for being an ego maniac with the incredible story of how he walked into the Bayern Munich dressing room at half-time and flopped his ball sack out to prove that both, physically and mentally, he had balls to drop any player not performing, although what his actual balls had to do with anything I do not know. With such astonishing arrogance it is hard to see how things will work, there's no doubt that he has the ability to do it on the pitch but off it you can already see the friction between himself and anyone within the club who would dare to disagree with him and that may even include Levy and Joe Lewis!

There is a sense that it will all end in tears but the reality is we don't have a squad filled with mega-egos, we haven't won anything for six years and only 5 players (Dawson, Lennon, Gomes, Friedal and Walker) in the current squad, bar Defoe who will be off soon, have been part of the first team squad for three or more years. As for his style of football I don't know. I've rarely watched any of his teams but even when memories arise from games on television I've either too young (1995 & 1996 CL finals/1998 World Cup) or too drunk (CL final 2010 when in halls) to remember although this quote snatched from the Guardian highlights his ability to adapt what he has with a focus on winning and an eye for flair, adjusting Total Football to times instead of binning it, something which could possibly be done with the Tottenham Way.

Built on the foundation of Total Football, AZ's game is to sit back and wait for their opponents to overstretch themselves and then break out. Their skilled, lightning-quick strikers are sufficiently superior to their guards to capitalise on only a handful of chances.

Van Gaal's system allows for more flair, giving the individual more room for improvisation, and is less stringent about formations – he's had his team play in at least four different shapes this year. AZ still apply asphyxiating pressure on their opponents, but they do so largely in their own half, rather than over the whole field. And when they gain possession they try to cross the field in three passes or fewer, usually ending in a through-ball for the strikers to run on to. They attack, in other words, in short and quick bursts and then dedicate themselves to letting the opposition do the work.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2009/feb/16/leander-schaerlaeckens-eredivisie-dutch-football

Above all else

Regardless as to who is or who will be in charge what matters most is our squad, that they gel, start a run beginning with a win this Sunday against Everton, get us into the CL, build upon them and try bring back those Glory Glory days. Regardless as to whether they can, if added to in the right way, achieve the latter or not, they still haven't done the first part which is evident in most games, they're still learning the strengths of one another and whilst doing so see some games ending in a draw when they should be wins.

I'm happy to keep an open mind on this front, I'm warming to Sherwood but staying a wee bit cautious whilst also knowing if all fails with him it's best not to ping all hopes onto LvG as any manager can have a change of heart.

with the wages players get these days it quickly adds up to a transfer fee anyway

I expect Gomes is on 60k (ish) a week, if so he costs us 2m every 6 months roughly, obviously there is value in having him as cover but for a club like us with a player we don't want (and therefore clubs around and above us don't want either) we are probably almost always better of selling even at a low price

with the wages players get these days it quickly adds up to a transfer fee anyway

I expect Gomes is on 60k (ish) a week, if so he costs us 2m every 6 months roughly, obviously there is value in having him as cover but for a club like us with a player we don't want (and therefore clubs around and above us don't want either) we are probably almost always better of selling even at a low price

That's kind of missing the point though. GB was claiming that Holtby and Capoue not being sold was proof that Baldini won a battle over transfer policy in January. When there is no evidence of a disagreement between Sherwood and Baldini and there are many reasons why their sales might not have gone through, I just suggested that a club not meeting our valuation as one of those.

Marcello Lippi: I rejected chance to become Tottenham manager

Saturday 8 Feb 2014 12:18 pm

Former World Cup winning coach Marcello Lippi has revealed he turned down the chance to become Tottenham manager.

The 65-year-old, who led Italy to glory in 2006, is now is charge of Chinese club Guangzhou Evergrande, where they recently scooped the league title.

But Lippi has revealed that he nearly became manager at White Hart Lane instead, with the coach admitting that Daniel Levy approached him a number of occasions about the role.

‘I have been close with several English clubs in recent years,’ he told the Italian media this week.

‘Most recently was Tottenham. But I said no because I didn’t understand the language.’

Lippi was thought to have been approached before Andre Villas-Boas took charge of Spurs in 2012 – and again after he was sacked earlier this season.

Tottenham eventually hired former youth team boss Tim Sherwood instead, but many suggestions have been made that the club will look to hire a big name coach in the summer.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/08/marcello-lippi-i-rejected-chance-to-become-tottenham-manager-4295695/

So Laudrup, Pochettino, Van Gaal, FdB and now Lippi.

I think giving Sherwood the 18 month really was the only option.

Marcello Lippi: I rejected chance to become Tottenham manager

Saturday 8 Feb 2014 12:18 pm

Former World Cup winning coach Marcello Lippi has revealed he turned down the chance to become Tottenham manager.

The 65-year-old, who led Italy to glory in 2006, is now is charge of Chinese club Guangzhou Evergrande, where they recently scooped the league title.

But Lippi has revealed that he nearly became manager at White Hart Lane instead, with the coach admitting that Daniel Levy approached him a number of occasions about the role.

‘I have been close with several English clubs in recent years,’ he told the Italian media this week.

‘Most recently was Tottenham. But I said no because I didn’t understand the language.’

Lippi was thought to have been approached before Andre Villas-Boas took charge of Spurs in 2012 – and again after he was sacked earlier this season.

Tottenham eventually hired former youth team boss Tim Sherwood instead, but many suggestions have been made that the club will look to hire a big name coach in the summer.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/08/marcello-lippi-i-rejected-chance-to-become-tottenham-manager-4295695/

So Laudrup, Pochettino, Van Gaal, FdB and now Lippi.

I think giving Sherwood the 18 month really was the only option.

Keeping AVB, or giving the job to Freund (7 years coaching experience, including two national teams setups) would have been much better options.

Keeping AVB, or giving the job to Freund (7 years coaching experience, including two national teams setups) would have been much better options.

it sounds like Lippi was approached pre-AVB rather than post.

At least Freund is meant to be more involved again now. Word on the street was that AVB's relationship with everyone but his Portuguese staff had broken down towards the end.

it sounds like Lippi was approached pre-AVB rather than post.

At least Freund is meant to be more involved again now. Word on the street was that AVB's relationship with everyone but his Portuguese staff had broken down towards the end.

The body language on our bench suggests that's definitely not the case.

The lack of intelligence in our setup also suggests that's not the case (as Freund is apparently a bright progressive coach).

The body language on our bench suggests that's definitely not the case.

The lack of intelligence in our setup also suggests that's not the case (as Freund is apparently a bright progressive coach).

How did Freund look towards the end of AVB's time?

I'd be interested in your views on AVB's early use of 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 as opposed to Sherwood's early use of 4-4-2 and progression onto 4-2-3-1.

Yeah saw that earlier in the week. Basically wants to go to a club in the EPL with a history of playing good football who aren't in the title hunt right now or maybe just the historic part.

The interesting part is the timing of the release of this news. Right now most people think that TS will be off in the summer with LVG being the most fancied target. FDB was sounded out but turned us down in January, could he now be making these noises because he feels this summer may be the best time? Look at it this way. Liverpool and Rodgers look set for some good years together and I don't think he will leave or they will get rid of him (unless the FA make a play for him). UTD look set to back Moyes regardless and with the rumoured war chest he is likely to receive, could be set for many years. Arsenal and Wenger look likely to continue together and only a madman would take the City or Chelsea jobs (besides I reckon Jose and Pellegrini will keep them for at least another couple of years).

We are the only club at this end of the table who are looking for a new manager and if LVG signs up then it may be even longer before a position is vacated at the top of the EPL (I refer to the top 7). I am purely working on guesswork here, but maybe the guy is basically saying to Levy "don't count me out just yet".

Back