• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
I didn't mean in that way, I meant more safe as in we kind of know what were going to get. AVB is more of an unknown.

Blanc would be another disaster

unsure on Blanc, something doesn't sit right, despite ticking a lot of the right boxes.

I don't think Moyes is a safe appointment at all - BECAUSE we know exactly what we are getting!

If that is the case, then they could have had the decency to go for Hodgson sooner.

The FA were never going to give the job to Redknapp and i said the same on here before Capello quit, it was nothing to do with money its that they thought they would have to face a KK situation sooner rather then later.

Hodgson was always their first choice, you can not blame the FA for Redknapps and his pals in the press for telling everyone that he was perfect for the job.

got harry the sack

Subbing Parker on against Villa was daring?

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Moyes is pretty underrated on here, think he'd do a far better job than Blanc.

The record of international managers means little until they reach a tournament and Blanc's France did ok at best but I think that he is still a little less damaged than AVB.

Depending on what we are looking to achieve though

i.e. Sustained progress from where Arry left and long term vision vs. Eternal mediocrity

None of the options available to us guarantees progress. And how can any of us know that AVB or Blanc has a better vision of where they would like to take the club than Moyes or anyone else?

Moyes v AVB in a nutshell:

Moyes - the down side is limited. We're unlikely to implode under his leadership. But the up side is probably limited too. I don't see him taking us to new heights.

AVB: the down side is steep and deep. Potentially Ramos or Gross deep. But the up side is potentially very high indeed.

On balance, I go with the greater risk but, potentially, greater reward.

Audere Est Facere.

I've been reading the book on AVB - 'Special Too' tonight, and it's very interesting:

It's very interesting in terms of understanding his training methodology, which seems excellent. Also the way he builds a positive atmosphere around the club (totally at odds with how it seemed to go down at Chelsea, suggesting the players clearly had something to do with it) there is also an interesting little paragraph about the time just before he got unveiled as Porto manager.

At the start of May, 2010, the Porto coach was let go. By mid-May, AVB had a verbal agreement with the Portuguese president. However, if I have understood it right, he could only leave Academica at the end of a season as this was agreed in his contract - with 500,000 euros to be paid. If he was to leave sooner, obviously more compensation would have to be agreed. So he had the verbal agreement by the middle of May, and yet only got unveiled on June 2nd. This was after an apparent 'to and fro' where AVB released a 'politically correct' statement that he wasn't about to be joining Porto, before he did a few days later. It also coincided with the Porto president returning from holiday, then relieving the previous coach of his duties, then allowing a 'few days mourning' with a respectful silence from the club before appointing AVB. The reason he denied he was going to Porto in between the verbal agreement and the unveiling was because he was afraid news would get out and force the club into taking the agreement back.

Which all seems strikingly similar to our situation now. Harry is sacked at the end of the season (I don't actually recall reading anything in the statement from the club saying 'the search for a new manager will begin now/shortly, which usually happens btw) and Levy goes away for personal reasons. There's a period of silence, coinciding with unsubstantiated reports that AVB has taken the job, which he then denies, probably to relieve pressure on the Spurs board so that any negative fan reaction doesn't build up too much to force them to change their decision. The story about not being able to be unveiled until July may make sense in this case, or he may just be unveiled this week.
But yes, a strikingly similar set of events that make me think it's been AVB all along, and we needn't worry.

FWIW I reckon Moonlit's version of events is probably correct.

Certainly explains why we kept Harry hanging on so long (and why his termination was pretty much at the exact same time as Chelsea confirming RDM). Kind of not sure if it was worth potentially missing out on Rodgers by letting Liverpool take him, if he was our first choice, but I guess the finances ruled Levy's head. Potentially ?3-5M compensation for Harry, and then we use that to get Rodgers...as opposed to paying ?3-5M to sack Harry and his staff, plus another ?5M+ to bring in Rodgers and his staff, so for a ten million swing I can kind of see why Levy hung on...that's potentially another quality player we could be signing, and it's not like Rodgers was the only manager out there.

So I would hope that once Rodgers went, we got AVB locked in. We just wanted to wait to see if we would get the compensation for Harry, and once it didn't come, we let the hype of sacking him die down, and then bring AVB in. Potentially after his non-compete (if it exists) with Chelsea expires or once we are satisfied that media pressure will be sufficiently subsided (perhaps with an England quarter final to concentrate on) that we can bring AVB in without too many fans in uproar over a poor time at Chelsea, while we let them become accostommed to the idea over the past few days. AVB's denials are simply keeping the pressure off, as he did before being unveiled at Porto.

I've been trying to make sense of the last few days, and if it happens like this, I think it will.

unsure on Blanc, something doesn't sit right, despite ticking a lot of the right boxes.

I don't think Moyes is a safe appointment at all - BECAUSE we know exactly what we are getting!

Haha. Fair enough,kind of agree I suppose. He's the boring option, but I do feel we'd be pretty solid, maybe even do pretty well, but not really progress in any way. And getting rid of Harry, surely it's for progression, going that bit further. And AVB has the potential to provide just that. Or alternatively we could be looking for another manager in January, but I'd much prefer to give it a go.

Moyes v AVB in a nutshell:

Moyes - the down side is limited. We're unlikely to implode under his leadership. But the up side is probably limited too. I don't see him taking us to new heights.

AVB: the down side is steep and deep. Potentially Ramos or Gross deep. But the up side is potentially very high indeed.

On balance, I go with the greater risk but, potentially, greater reward.

Audere Est Facere.

Indeed

Arry > Blanc, AVB, Moyes, Rangnick, Martinez et al

What the fvck has Levy done?
Some idiots on this Board are going to come crashing down to Earth next season. The way Spurs have treated Harry Redknapp has made me ashamed to be a Tottenham supporter.

Last edited:
Ive seen this so many times I think its becoming something of a false truth. How safe an appointment would Moyes be?

First up, style of play.

Moyes has a tried and tested style of play, defensive, negative - anti Spurs. Its not the sort of style that will wash with the fans (like it or not, its true...)

So he will become increasingly under pressure - safe?

Or, how about the alternative that he re-styles his system. Thats transition for him, thats not what he would have got hired on the back of - thats risky. Safe?

Secondly, Everton REGULARLY have either shockingly bad starts to the season or extended "blips". At Everton he has (quite rightly) enough faith that he can ride out these peiods - what happens at Spurs if we hit one of these spells? Safe?

Genuinely I think the idea that Moyes is a secure appointment doesnt ring true at all...

Absolutely false.

Arry > Blanc, AVB, Moyes, Rangnick, Martinez et al

What the fvck has Levy done?
Some idiots on this Board are going to come crashing down to Earth next season. The way Spurs have treated Harry Redknapp has made me ashamed to be a Tottenham supporter.

Err......................you think Spurs treated Harry badly?

They gave him the platform at a big club that he had never previously had.

They provided him with a talented group of players with which to work.

They paid him ?3.5 million per annum - making him one of the highest paid managers in world football.

They stood by him throught out his trial for tax evasion.

So you can only be frothing at the mouth about Harry being sacked (or rather, not being offered a new, improved contract and consequently coming to a mutual agreement to terminate his employment).

But while it is perfectly fair to disagree with Spurs' decision, it is completely unfair to suggest that there is anything shameful about the manner in which Harry has been treated. He has been compensated fully for the final year of his contract.

There is nothing wrong with deciding to take a new direction and consequently parting company with an employee - especially when that employee has spent three months and more batting his eyelashes at another company and looked certain to leave of his own accord (in fact, openly admitted that he would have left had that other company offered him their job).

Last edited:
Back