• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
Come on mate. He turned 2nd or nailed on 3rd into 4th, the distractions, etc...
He asked for reinforcements to have a crack at the title and got a couple of freebie hasbeens. He also still beat the odds and finished 4th, above our transfer and wage spend level. The chairman sacked him and we then saw 5th and then 6th placed finishes the following two seasons.

You are failing to acknowledge that brand awareness is a thing and has a considered value (now if you think it's worth £xM/year is a different conversation)

The main reason this actually looks like it had some consideration is because it's the "Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" not WHLv2. Somewhere in the build of the new stadium the club decided for whatever period of time we didn't have a sponsor, it would be helpful for the club brand to be tied to stadium name. There is also a surprising number of EPL stadiums without a sponsor, so either the money isn't there or clubs see some inherent value to keeping an association of club/old name.

And finally mate, the issue people have with you isn't difference of opinion, it's your thought process, it's often argumentative and seems based off whatever viewpoint can be used to paint the club as completely incompetent in everyway possible. You do you mate, we all do.
Levy spoke openly about why not White Hart Lane during construction of the stadium, he specifically said it was to maximise the amount we would get from a naming partner, as if it got referred to as WHL then it would always be known as that due to the attachment of the old stadium and would reduce the value to a naming partner.

Levy also spoke openly about one of the reasons to build a new stadium as opposed to redeveloping the old one was because stadiums already having a traditional name will not attract naming partners of any value as the stadiums are already widely known under their old name. He said that it didn’t matter how much work we did to WHL, it would still be known as that no matter what, whereas a new stadium can have a completely new identity. I think (but could be wrong) he mentioned Old Trafford here saying that it should have huge naming rights potential due to the size of the Man Utd brand but the fact it is already globally known as Old Trafford puts a massive dent in the naming rights value.

I wasn’t aware that ‘people’ had an issue with me to be honest. I’ll happily argue my point of view just as many people will argue their point of view.

Last edited:
Levy spoke openly about why not White Hart Lane during construction of the stadium, he specifically said it was to maximise the amount we would get from a naming partner, as if it got referred to as WHL then it would always be known as that due to the attachment of the old stadium and would reduce the value to a naming partner. I think (but could be wrong) he mentioned Old Trafford here saying that it should have huge naming rights potential due to the size of the Man Utd brand but the fact it is already globally known as Old Trafford puts a massive dent in the naming rights value.

Levy also spoke openly about one of the reasons to build a new stadium as opposed to redeveloping the old one was because stadiums already having a traditional name will not attract naming partners of any value as the stadiums are already widely known under their old name. He said that it didn’t matter how much work we did to WHL, it would still be known as that no matter what, whereas a new stadium can have a completely new identity.

I wasn’t aware that ‘people’ had an issue with me to be honest. I’ll happily argue my point of view just as many people will argue their point of view.

Anyone posting online who doesn't have someone take issue with them isn't doing it right.

Levy spoke openly about why not White Hart Lane during construction of the stadium, he specifically said it was to maximise the amount we would get from a naming partner, as if it got referred to as WHL then it would always be known as that due to the attachment of the old stadium and would reduce the value to a naming partner.

Levy also spoke openly about one of the reasons to build a new stadium as opposed to redeveloping the old one was because stadiums already having a traditional name will not attract naming partners of any value as the stadiums are already widely known under their old name. He said that it didn’t matter how much work we did to WHL, it would still be known as that no matter what, whereas a new stadium can have a completely new identity. I think (but could be wrong) he mentioned Old Trafford here saying that it should have huge naming rights potential due to the size of the Man Utd brand but the fact it is already globally known as Old Trafford puts a massive dent in the naming rights value.

This is true, he did

I personally don't want the name changed and with a marketing background and as a romantic, I believe there is huge intangible value to protecting your brand and not selling out the name, there are however factual revenue to attain from the ground, and its a road we are going down, I don't see it as a major issue that its delayed as it plays into my preference, if the club get a sh1t load of money for it as they should for selling out then thats a decent 2nd place.

I do find it interesting though (not you BTW) that the same people and personalities and so called traditionalists that used the "knocking down WHL" was shameful and use that stick to beat the club with are now using the naming rights as stick now to beat with. I find that slightly disjointed train of thought TBH

Anyway probably one for another thread

On topic, I have spent the weekend with family so not been checking, any news on potential managers other than the lazy troupe that the weekend was De Zerbis audition

So you’re a fan of the New York Yankees? Have you been to games and bought merchandise, etc?

No, but I've watched Atlanta Braves a lot when on holiday in states, I did go to a triple A game in Orlando in the 80's as my son wanted to see a game, best bit was the punch up with the teams.

I remember as a kid I wanted to buy some US sports merch because I thought it would be cool. I ended up buying a Yankees cap and an LA Raiders top for no particular reason other than I’d heard of them.

The Raiders one was because of some association with a person that wasn’t even part of the sport. I ended up supporting them for a while until I got bored of the sport

My kids bought me a Chicago Blackhawks shirt one Christmas because I liked National Lampoon Christmas Vacation film.

Like Yankee Stadium, as a kid I only knew one baseball team New York Yankees and that's because I'd heard of Yankee Stadium.

It has to be said that the New York Yankees are one of the richest sports teams in the states and arguably the most recognisable team to most non-Americans. Helps that they also play in country’s biggest city, they’re a tourist attraction to people who have no idea about baseball. We’re not quite in the same position where we can afford to not have naming rights. Certain teams like Barcelona, United and Real Madrid have that luxury.

It has to be said that the New York Yankees are one of the richest sports teams in the states and arguably the most recognisable team to most non-Americans. Helps that they also play in country’s biggest city, they’re a tourist attraction to people who have no idea about baseball. We’re not quite in the same position where we can afford to not have naming rights. Certain teams like Barcelona, United and Real Madrid have that luxury.

I wasn't suggesting we were I was just use the stadium as an example of world recognition, it's a totally different world from the 1950's and most people in Britain would not be able to name a foreign football team outside Real Madrid and Moscow Dynamo.

From conversations with a few marketing directors in the corp sector we were asking for ~25m a year when 15m a year was considered to be the highest achievable. So we’re now about £60m and counting down on revenue.
These naming rights deals are typically 10 years or longer. So if your numbers are correct, even if we assume a 10-year deal, we still have another 3 years before we'd be missing out on the opportunity for more revenue. At the same time, Levy may have expected we'd be much more competitive than we currently are, which could have squeezed a few mil more out of any deal.

With the Yankee’s the grand is the most significant thing
I have Yankee’s sweatshirt
I have no interest in the sport
Can’t tell you anything but I like the top

We’re not quite in the same position where we can afford to not have naming rights

I really don't get it either. After 3-4 years of having the stadium open and trying to sell the rights, the price which the 'market' will pay to sponsor your stadium is pretty well established.

Unless there's some huge kicker expected in the next year or two (e.g. a NFL franchise moving in) it's really perplexing why Levy is holding off signing a deal

I really don't get it either. After 3-4 years of having the stadium open and trying to sell the rights, the price which the 'market' will pay to sponsor your stadium is pretty well established.

Unless there's some huge kicker expected in the next year or two (e.g. a NFL franchise moving in) it's really perplexing why Levy is holding off signing a deal

I think that's incredibly likely.

He asked for reinforcements to have a crack at the title and got a couple of freebie hasbeens. He also still beat the odds and finished 4th, above our transfer and wage spend level. The chairman sacked him and we then saw 5th and then 6th placed finishes the following two seasons.

He waltzed into January refusing to seek an extension as he had started lobbying for the England job via his mates in the press. He became positively reckless after the 5-0 win over Newcash (you haven't forgotten the derby have you?)...we then went to Villa Park with 3rd back in our hands despite all the shenanigans, and as I'm sure you remember, Defoe remained on the bench in a game we had to win against a relegation-fighting bricky Villa who got a 1-1 draw. Scott Parker came on in some bizarre plan to push Kabul forward. You can make it about position above wage/spend, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

This is true, he did

I personally don't want the name changed and with a marketing background and as a romantic, I believe there is huge intangible value to protecting your brand and not selling out the name, there are however factual revenue to attain from the ground, and its a road we are going down, I don't see it as a major issue that its delayed as it plays into my preference, if the club get a sh1t load of money for it as they should for selling out then thats a decent 2nd place.

I do find it interesting though (not you BTW) that the same people and personalities and so called traditionalists that used the "knocking down WHL" was shameful and use that stick to beat the club with are now using the naming rights as stick now to beat with. I find that slightly disjointed train of thought TBH

Anyway probably one for another thread

On topic, I have spent the weekend with family so not been checking, any news on potential managers other than the lazy troupe that the weekend was De Zerbis audition

It doesn't matter to me what anyone else calls it, it's always going to be The Lane to me.

Back