• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New New Manager Poll (The Lets Get It Right This Time Edition)

Who Do You Want Then?

• Poch

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Enrique

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Carrick

• Kompany

• Other

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Tuchel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 24 17.9%
  • Slot

Votes: 17 12.7%

• Total voters
This is why I have been harping about this guy. He's just what we need. And he is someone who wants to be somewhere long term. Here are a couple of excerpts I liked the most:

His man-management skills became the stuff of legend. There were no major scandals or crises within the dressing room during his eight years in charge — a remarkable achievement in itself given the amount of melodrama baked into Argentine football. Training was usually intense and although he never shied away from dropping big-name players, dissent was rare. The sense was of a whole club pulling in the same direction.

“The fundamental thing is understanding people. You have to understand the person in order to get the best out of them as a footballer. I want people to understand me as well. Otherwise, it’s very difficult.” “Understand” is a word he uses a lot. Exactly 50 times during the course of our interview, in fact. Perhaps that inquisitiveness should not come as a surprise: Gallardo, after all, famously befriended a neuroscientist before taking the River job in June 2014 and later added her to his backroom staff. “Football is played on the pitch, but you can’t ignore what a person is feeling,” he says. “That aspect and its applications are what interested me in coaching, beyond the strategies and tactics that are part of the sport. It’s about the human process.”

Gallardo the coach is thrilled whenever a player — young or experienced — asks him why he is running a particular training drill in a certain way. “I love that,” he says. “I love the ‘whys?’ because it shows that individual wants to understand. There’s nothing better for a coach than to be able to have that type of dialogue, that positive commitment to deeper understanding. It also becomes a tremendous tool. “It’s an absolute pleasure for me when that interest is sparked in a player. I don’t have to go searching for it.”

“You have to always insist that the culture is strengthened and nurtured, that it doesn’t collapse,” says Gallardo. “When you accomplish that, as we were able to do, then you can truly say that there was a consolidated project in place. And it wasn’t just me. There was an entire team working together to make it happen. It’s not easy, but you have to try.”

That bit about the neuroscientist alone should make Gallardo the top choice for this job (besides Poch),imo. Lord knows we need a neurosurgeon to fix some of the mentalities in our abysmal dressing room - but failing that, a neuroscientist will do.

More seriously, I agree with you - he's exactly what we need, and I have harped on about him as the ideal candidate outside of Poch for a while now. And that bit about theneuroscientist is actually more revealing than it seems - because it shows he's willing to be unconventional to get the best results, and that would be a welcome change after four-odd years of hidebound traditionalists in Mourinho and Conte.

A throwback to when Poch pioneered motivational methods that, at the time, were relatively new to English football (all the arrow and walking over coals stuff), as well as the introduction of a bold pressing approach that helped revolutionize the game here.

The worry about him being able to adapt to the English game is waaay overblown. He won titles with River Plate in Argentina - the same River Plate that had literally been relegated prior to his appointment, and had to be rebuilt every year while selling their stars. He's achieved more in harder environments than any of Arne Slot, Luis Enrique, or any of the other worthies we're looking at.

And we have tons of Argentinians in and around the club to help him settle in, anyway - Ossie and Ricky, Poch himself, and so on. Plus Romero in the dressing room if he wants a compatriot.

I read somewhere that Gallardo turned down the Leeds job because, apart from not wanting to take on a new role mid-season, he was also concerned about how he'd communicate with his players as his English wasn't very good. This was only a couple of months back, so (if the report was accurate, I can't recall where I read it) that doesn't fit with improving his English intensely over the past year.

I read somewhere that Gallardo turned down the Leeds job because, apart from not wanting to take on a new role mid-season, he was also concerned about how he'd communicate with his players as his English wasn't very good. This was only a couple of months back, so (if the report was accurate, I can't recall where I read it) that doesn't fit with improving his English intensely over the past year.
I don't think that he turned down Leeds because of the language. As I and others have mentioned, his English is passable, but he has been taking lessons. I don't know how long it takes someone to become comfortable in a language that they have just a basic grasp of, but I think 6 months is probably sufficient, given he is not starting from zero.

fudge. He's going to win them the treble next season isn't he. The most sexy situation ever.

Not a good move for him, worse version of PSG (where he struggled)
- He needs young eager players, not overpaid divas
- The owner is constantly fudging around and buying who he wants not who the manager wants
- Very big chance the money may dry up

It would feel weird but I don't feel threatened by Poch at Chelsea

That bit about the neuroscientist alone should make Gallardo the top choice for this job (besides Poch),imo. Lord knows we need a neurosurgeon to fix some of the mentalities in our abysmal dressing room - but failing that, a neuroscientist will do.

More seriously, I agree with you - he's exactly what we need, and I have harped on about him as the ideal candidate outside of Poch for a while now. And that bit about theneuroscientist is actually more revealing than it seems - because it shows he's willing to be unconventional to get the best results, and that would be a welcome change after four-odd years of hidebound traditionalists in Mourinho and Conte.

A throwback to when Poch pioneered motivational methods that, at the time, were relatively new to English football (all the arrow and walking over coals stuff), as well as the introduction of a bold pressing approach that helped revolutionize the game here.

The worry about him being able to adapt to the English game is waaay overblown. He won titles with River Plate in Argentina - the same River Plate that had literally been relegated prior to his appointment, and had to be rebuilt every year while selling their stars. He's achieved more in harder environments than any of Arne Slot, Luis Enrique, or any of the other worthies we're looking at.

And we have tons of Argentinians in and around the club to help him settle in, anyway - Ossie and Ricky, Poch himself, and so on. Plus Romero in the dressing room if he wants a compatriot.
This is what people should be picketing about. fudge the "ENIC Out" signs and get a few thousand outside the stadium with "Gallardo In" signs.

- The owner is constantly fudging around and buying who he wants not who the manager wants

I totally agree. If Boehly doesn't take a step back (sound familiar?), it's going to be a very difficult situation, no matter how much young talent they have. Not to mention that, because the money will dry up, a number of players may get sold from under him. The key to Poch's success at Spurs was the good relationship he had with Levy and the independence he had to run the football team they way he saw fit. I just don't see that happening at Chelsea. I'd give him a year tops.

Yeah... but he's magic.

We were the biggest poison chalice in the world, yet he gave us our first golden age in 40 years.

He won everything domestically in France and did better in the CL than most managers at PSG. He showed he can manage over paid divas. He may not be a long term appointment, no one is at Chelsea but if he goes there and I don't believe he will, they will be a force to reckon with while he is there. In the same way we were when he was here.

I totally agree. If Boehly doesn't take a step back (sound familiar?), it's going to be a very difficult situation, no matter how much young talent they have. Not to mention that, because the money will dry up, a number of players may get sold from under him. The key to Poch's success at Spurs was the good relationship he had with Levy and the independence he had to run the football team they way he saw fit. I just don't see that happening at Chelsea. I'd give him a year tops.
The key to Poch's success at Spurs is he was a brilliant coach who could take even the most difficult and troubled players and make them perform to their highest level. He can do that again at Chelsea.

Chelsea have got LOTS of young, eager players.

That would ignite the flaming torches and bring out the pitchforks.
I'm done with football if he goes to Chelsea. Would be unbearable. Especially with Spurs apperently not even considering him!
Seriously, how out of touch with your fan base is it possible to get? Not saying they should appoint managers the fans want, but seriously, not even considering Poch, and not at least try to get him, would be a crime!

Last edited:
The key to Poch's success at Spurs is he was a brilliant coach who could take even the most difficult and troubled players and make them perform to their highest level. He can do that again at Chelsea.
No, he got rid of the difficult and troubled players and the club supported him in this regard. Which is something that will be more difficult to do at Chelsea. What if he decides that Enzo, Mudryk, and Fofana need to go? Do you think Boehly will say "sure Mauricio, let me dump these players that I spent 250 million on"?

So Poch is the only realistic candidate for Chelsea now with Luis Enrique and Nagelsmann rejecting them.

Back