• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Morgan Schneiderlin

I think there's a shiny new toys thing going on with Schneiderlin and McCarthy. People forget Mason and Bentaleb outplayed them both this season. I'd rather go on head-to-head battles like that, than abstract stats
When did Mason and bentaleb out play schneiderlin ? In the last game at St Mary's I saw a very disciplined performance from schneiderlin.

Then maybe none of them have the right mentality.
Listen I know Everton didn't have a lot to play for but I'm not just focussing on that one match. McCarthy has had this lack of drive criticism from the Irish camp too. He's not a player I see as being better than any we have in that position (except maybe Paulinho).

Again, very weird. The stats show that he makes more blocks and clearances than any of Mason, Bentaleb, Blind or Schneiderlin: equally, GrandOldTeam posters are routinely effusive in their praise of his fighting qualities and relentless work-rate. Not saying you're wrong, but I wonder why this pro/anti-divide exists.

Last edited:
Of course, we could miss out on him too, in which case we could try for Karl Henry on a free if QPR deign to release him. Although the wages might be too high for our glorious chairman there too. Veljkovic, then? :p

Veljkovic could surprise people, he was just as highly thought of as Bentaleb when they played together in the u21s.

My gut feeling is that Arsenal will not sign schneiderlin, certainly not for the money that Soton are asking for. They will set their sights higher and with coquelin and Ramsay playing so well they don't need him IMO. For us though he is a critical signing. The high price is not a gamble because the guy is proven in the PL poch has done all the scouting he needs on this guy. with his age we could get a decent sell on fee too. I am a big fan of Levy but IMO he needs to get this one done somehow.

I disagree that Schneiderlin is a "critical signing". I like him and rate him, his PL experience, ability, age and history playing under Pochettino makes him a very exciting target. But I don't think he's a critical signing.

One of the clear benefits emerging from this season under Pochettino is a pretty clear idea of how we want to play and what our weaknesses are (unlike for example for Martinez at Everton or Rodgers at Liverpool). Quite a few ways we can improve on our central midfield this summer. And although I rate Schneiderlin I don't think he's outstanding to the point that there are no other ways to achieve what we want. I would be just as happy with Cabaye for example, although he's perhaps no more likely to come here than Schneiderlin is.

Veljkovic could surprise people, he was just as highly thought of as Bentaleb when they played together in the u21s.

Last summer, after we seemingly realized that Schneiderlin was not gettable for a fee we would want to offer, it seems that we took a step back and trusted in Bentaleb. Stambouli was brought in as cover instead of injury plagued Sandro and not long into the season Bentaleb made the place his.

We have quite a few youngsters that may or may not be ready to compete for a place in those central/deep midfield roles next season. Veljkovic, Carroll, Alli, Winks... I would like to see us again target a small number of real quality upgrades, like I think Schneiderlin or Cabaye would be. If that doesn't work out let's once again take a step back, trust our talented youngsters and make sure we have adequate cover.

I also think Bentaleb and Mason could easily do better defensively next season with more experience under their belt. I wouldn't panic at all if they start our first game in August.

Again, very weird. The stats show that he makes more blocks and clearances than any of Mason, Bentaleb, Blind or Schneiderlin: equally, GrandOldTeam posters are routinely effusive in their praise of his fighting qualities and relentless work-rate. Not saying you're wrong, but I wonder why this pro/anti-divide exists.

Because he is a trier and their really
Limited in his position. Hell they have Gareth Barry playing there and the Eastern European lad who I can't remember but have a goal to Chelsea with his first touch. Their a very limited side hence why the brick rises.

My mates who go have a mixed cow on him but none are overly impressed

I'd rather look for a lease known quantity that's better value which I'm sure is out there

Because he is a trier and their really
Limited in his position. Hell they have Gareth Barry playing there and the Eastern European lad who I can't remember but have a goal to Chelsea with his first touch. Their a very limited side hence why the crud rises.

My mates who go have a mixed cow on him but none are overly impressed

I'd rather look for a lease known quantity that's better value which I'm sure is out there

Besic is the Eastern European lad. Has looked better than both McCarthy and Barry when I've seen Everton this season (admittedly I haven't seen them all that often).

It might be an unfair evaluation on my part, but I just get the impression that McCarthy would have fit in very well with the "much of a muchness" description so fitting for our central midfield 18 months ago. If he comes in he'll be a useful option, but will he be able to push us on?

If it's a useful option we're after I can think of many cheaper options available, including Jedinak mentioned earlier.

Again, very weird. The stats show that he makes more blocks and clearances than any of Mason, Bentaleb, Blind or Schneiderlin: equally, GrandOldTeam is effusive in their praise of his fighting qualities and relentless work-rate. Not saying you're wrong, but I wonder why this pro/anti-divide exists.
I like to steer clear of all stats bar the most important ones, goals and points, to be honest. Stats can be used to back up any point if used selectively (not saying you are doing that). I trust what I see on the pitch really and every time I watch McCarthy play his performance is just short of where his ability dictates it should be. I actually think he has all the raw ability and skill of a young Roy Keane but none of the drive or leadership qualities.

Poch (and Tim) bleat on about a winners mentality all the time but how do you define what that is? Who has it in our squad? Think I might start a thread on that.

Mason and Bentaleb are very good young players but they are not the be all and end all ... Massive parts of their game need to improve and they will tell you that themselves which is a very good sign in itself ... We definitely need a presence in there , a proven quality player who will help two defenders behind him .. Mason and Bentaleb don't have this in their locker yet .. Big player needed ... Hoped it would be snderlein but United flexing muscles now .. We will get a cheap alternative ... Wouldn't surprise me if we get cabaye but are probably after rabiot just as much ... But not sure he has a presence like snderlein who does a very under rated role .. Reminds me of carrick in many ways .. Doesn't throw it around but is vital in any top side .. Money talks as usual

Mason and Bentaleb are very good young players but they are not the be all and end all ... Massive parts of their game need to improve and they will tell you that themselves which is a very good sign in itself ... We definitely need a presence in there , a proven quality player who will help two defenders behind him .. Mason and Bentaleb don't have this in their locker yet .. Big player needed ... Hoped it would be snderlein but United flexing muscles now .. We will get a cheap alternative ... Wouldn't surprise me if we get cabaye but are probably after rabiot just as much ... But not sure he has a presence like snderlein who does a very under rated role .. Reminds me of carrick in many ways .. Doesn't throw it around but is vital in any top side .. Money talks as usual

Cabaye would be a great player for us but he may be too high salary wise after his Paris trip.

I'm possibly in a munority in being happy with Mason and Bentelab despite their flaws. However if we can sign players who are genuinely better then I'm all for it. Cabaye is a better player than those two at the moment however having played their first full season each at this level who knows how they could progress next season

Oh, sure, no questioning the lad's talent. I see him more as a CB (eventually replacing one of either Verts or Fazio in the line-up), however, and I feel that centre-backs generally need to have successful loan spells before being trusted with a first-team role: hence, I'd like to see him loaned out to a PL side next year, if possible.

I like to steer clear of all stats bar the most important ones, goals and points, to be honest. Stats can be used to back up any point if used selectively (not saying you are doing that). I trust what I see on the pitch really and every time I watch McCarthy play his performance is just short of where his ability dictates it should be. I actually think he has all the raw ability and skill of a young Roy Keane but none of the drive or leadership qualities.

Poch (and Tim) bleat on about a winners mentality all the time but how do you define what that is? Who has it in our squad? Think I might start a thread on that.

Certainly a curious phenomenon, then. And as for the oft-mentioned 'winner's mentality', I think you should definitely start a thread on that topic if you're up for it: I think it's a topic well worth discussing. :)

I think MS is a pipe dream . If he was genuinely available, Wenger would snap him up not us. Remember he is French.

I think MS is a pipe dream . If he was genuinely available, Wenger would snap him up not us. Remember he is French.

He's also a bit/could also have been English. About 14 months ago he was threatening to play for England because he was fed up being stuck behind Capoue in the national team pecking order.

Last edited:
As I have said before IMO he is not needed by Arsenal. They have Ramsay and coquelin. Tbh if Utd are genuinely interested then of course we have no chance.

He's also a bit/could also have been English. About 14 months ago he was threatening to play for England because he was fed up being stuck behind Capoue in the national team pecking order.
Fcuk me!.... Imagine being stuck behind Capoue in a pecking order?.... That must be a pretty embarrassing situation?

Fcuk me!.... Imagine being stuck behind Capoue in a pecking order?.... That must be a pretty embarrassing situation?

Not really. It was his first season out of the championship, whilst Capoue had been a big player in the French league for a good 4-5 seasons.

It's perhaps comparable to Mason being behind Delph and Wiltshire in the England pecking order at the moment (if in theory being eligible to play for France).

This is some of the press from the time: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...France-Southampton-man-Roy-Hodgson-squad.html

Not really. It was his first season out of the championship, whilst Capoue had been a big player in the French league for a good 4-5 seasons.

It's perhaps comparable to Mason being behind Delph and Wiltshire in the England pecking order at the moment (if in theory being eligible to play for France).

This is some of the press from the time: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...France-Southampton-man-Roy-Hodgson-squad.html

Capoue makes Delph and Wiltshire look like the second coming of Zinedane Zidane!.... Who was the French manager that had Capoue ahead of Schnedierlin in the pecking order?.... Stevie Wonder?!?

it's quite feasible he looked a different player in the French league compared to what we have seen of him - plenty of players with great reputations have come here and looked average to poor.

Veron, Falcao, Schevchenko, Di Maria to name a few off the top of my head

Back