• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Morgan Schneiderlin

Or maybe some ITK was correct that players we want to leave are not willing to do so....

I think it's more the case that Paulinho, Dembele, Chadli, Sandro and Chiriches were late back or ill/injured, so he hasn't had a chance to evaluate them fully.

I'll hold off from effectively dismissing Mason's chances of getting game time this season. I suspect that he impressed Poch hugely during pre season. I think it very possible that he'll get plenty of minutes on the pitch for Europa League (if we progress!) and Capital One Cup games this season. And if he continues to impress, he might figure in quite a few Premier League games too.

I see no reason, at the moment, why he couldn't be at least as effective as Bentaleb in that midfield role.

Seriously based on what?
A few friendlies against MLS reserves or last season in League 1?
He's not going to turn into a premier league player at 23.

Seriously based on what?
A few friendlies against MLS reserves or last season in League 1?
He's not going to turn into a premier league player at 23.

Why not?

He wouldn't be the first player to do so.

He's always had the talent but when he first graduated from the academy, he was far too skinny and fragile. He subsequently suffered terribly from injuries wherever he went on loan. So he really hasn't had the chance to prove himself previously.

He's tougher now. Stronger. Filled out a bit. And he's more mature.

Yes, it was only pre season. But he looked like he belonged. He showed graft and intelligence in equal measure - very much the kind of qualities that Poch is looking for. And I'm quite certain that it wouldn't have gone unnoticed. He's the kind of player who, even if he hadn't picked up so many injuries, could never be seen in his best light playing with inferior players in the Championship - much like Tom Carroll who, I expect, will thrive in a passing team like Swansea this season as much as he stagnated in a ponderous team like QPR last season.

Poch is a manager with a proven history of giving young, fringe players a chance if they impress him. So at the very least, I would expect Mason to be given opportunities in the Europa League. If he is unable to replicate his pre season form, then it will be time to let him go. Not now.

Lallana did.

Because this team weren't in the Premier League.
Lallana made 191 appearances for Southampton before they got promoted.
He never had the opportunity to play in the Premier League until then.

Mason couldn't get a game on loan in Ligue 1 in France at 21.
He was on loan to League 1 side at 22.
His highest level was in the championship at 20 and its been downhill from there.
I think he's played less than 90 competitive minutes for Tottenham.

His highest level was in the championship at 20 and its been downhill from there.

I would rather base my opinions on a player from what I've seen, rather than who he's played for.

Mason has been very unlucky with injuries at pretty important times in his career, he's definitely talented. Hopefully he can get a decent loan this season.

Without making this in to a Ryan Mason thread it is worth noting that WindyCoys and Bankrupt both rate Mason and think he has what it takes. They follow Spurs youth players as much as anybody. They raved about Bentaleb and Kane for a while and weren't far off.

So what?

Point still remains that Mason wouldn't be the first late maturer in the game.

Seriously, did you ever see him at youth level? If you did, you would know the ability he has. You would also know that, when he graduated from the academy, he looked as though a gust of wind could pick him up and carry him out of the stadium. It's only in the last year or two that he has properly filled out and put on a bit of muscle. He's still skinny but he has enough about him now. All he needs is a long spell finally clear from injury and the chance to play alongside players of a similar ability and on the same wavelength.

On the basis of pre season, he is fully worth perseverance on the club's part. Poch had other options in America. But he gave Mason starts. And he was rewarded by fine performances. He's not going to ignore that. Mason will get his chance.

I would rather base my opinions on a player from what I've seen, rather than who he's played for.

Mason has been very unlucky with injuries at pretty important times in his career, he's definitely talented. Hopefully he can get a decent loan this season.

He really, really doesn't need yet another loan, mate.

He needs to play alongside the kind of quality that we have and for the manager that we have. He needs to be a part of the Spurs squad because he's never had that sense of belonging in his senior career. He needs stability; roots; a home - not to be a mere nomad loanee, in and out of other clubs' treatment rooms. He needs to be given his big Spurs chance. Once and for all.

If he fails to take it, then so be it. Time for him to try his luck elsewhere. Better that than yet another loan.

Remember that Chris Marsden at Southampton the bald centre mid- wasn't he plucked from non league to play in PL at like 29 or 30?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

He really, really doesn't need yet another loan, mate.

He needs to play alongside the kind of quality that we have and for the manager that we have. He needs to be a part of the Spurs squad because he's never had that sense of belonging in his senior career. He needs stability; roots; a home - not to be a mere nomad loanee, in and out of other clubs' treatment rooms. He needs to be given his big Spurs chance. Once and for all.

If he fails to take it, then so be it. Time for him to try his luck elsewhere. Better that than yet another loan.

Indeed but a loan to a PL side who play football like Caroll has would be good also...

Indeed but a loan to a PL side who play football like Caroll has would be good also...

I don't even think that that would be a good idea for him.........unless it is a loan with a view to an eventual permanent signing.

He's done enough wandering from club to club; from temporary accommodation to temporary accommodation. I can't see him fully flourishing until he's properly settled, playing for the club that actually holds his registration. We need to give him that chance now. If he's not quite up to scratch, then it'll be better and fairer for him to discover that this season rather than in a couple of years' time.

Last edited:
Back