• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Morgan Schneiderlin

Over on Saints Web they seem to be more resigned to him going today. Apparently his performance at the weekend was more half hearted, and even their manager softened his stance about him. We shall see...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk
That would support the ITK from yesterday.

Not in the squad playing against Millwall in the League Cup now. For the record: Koeman has named nearly a full squad, resting Tadic and Bertrand from the 11 who started on Saturday - but both on the bench.

Yay he's coming. Pity is Townsend goes the other way, and capoue gets benched after a couple of eye catching displays.

That's my thoughts too.

Yes you would say that in that midfield pairing one is going to be more defensive, and able to pass the ball easily out of the last third and the other has to offer some defensive and attacking qualities. For me Capoue and Bentaleb are simililar in their overall game. They like to sit and pass. So Benteleb would surely become Capoues understudy or replacement. And then it would be Dembele and Schneiderlin for the other role should he come.

We need to keep Townsend though. He can be improved and we need cover for the attacking positions. If we was to lose him we would only have Lennon.

Yes you would say that in that midfield pairing one is going to be more defensive, and able to pass the ball easily out of the last third and the other has to offer some defensive and attacking qualities. For me Capoue and Bentaleb are simililar in their overall game. They like to sit and pass. So Benteleb would surely become Capoues understudy or replacement. And then it would be Dembele and Schneiderlin for the other role should he come.

We need to keep Townsend though. He can be improved and we need cover for the attacking positions. If we was to lose him we would only have Lennon.

I agree re Townsend, Id keep him but would rather Zaha if Man U would do business with us....

could be schneiderlin and capoue together, and most probably it is. i'm in favour of more experience in the centre and always thought the bentaleb shouldn't start every game.

when i was writing that I was thinking a less obvious outcome - that if poch thinks that he needed someone to carry to ball forwards from midfield. it would devastate capoue given his good performances so far.

Although i agree it will be Bentelab benched (mainly due to being less experienced)...i do envisage Schneiderlin/Bentaleb as a possible Petit/Viera combo?

Which is Vieria?

Sandro is the closest we have to a Vieria. Schneiderlin, Bentaleb, Capoue even too, are all more Petit.

could be schneiderlin and capoue together, and most probably it is. i'm in favour of more experience in the centre and always thought the bentaleb shouldn't start every game.

when i was writing that I was thinking a less obvious outcome - that if poch thinks that he needed someone to carry to ball forwards from midfield. it would devastate capoue given his good performances so far.

I'd definitely be happy to ship out Dembele and Paulinho to make Bentaleb indisputably Schneiderlin's understudy, but I'd not be comfortable with him as first choice.

I don't think we need a ballcarrier from CM. Having two ballplayers is much more effective. It's why I don't see a role for Dembele or Paulinho

Currently it reads; Capoue, Bentaleb, Dembele, Paulinho, Holtby, Sandro with Mason a long way behind. It looks like Poch wants a midfield of 2 and a balance between defensive strength and an ability to transition play forward in as rapid and effective a way as possible. Ideally he is looking for people who have both skills but with one who has a stronger bias in one versus the other player who has a stronger bias towards the other area. Therefore you could argue he'll need a minimum of 4 players based around 2 core skill sets - those being; defensive and destructive by nature and; those being more attack oriented and slick and quick in transitioning defence to attack. Logically that would translate to; Capoue and Sandro and in a more attacking sense; Bentaleb and Paulinho. If however bringing people in was an option then I think Schneiderlin would be an improvement on Sandro. That would therefore mean; Sandro, Dembele and Holtby are all surplus to requirements

I still don't think he'll come. Hope I'm wrong but the fact he didn't play in the league cup isn't enough for me to think Southampton are about to make a massive u-turn.

Currently it reads; Capoue, Bentaleb, Dembele, Paulinho, Holtby, Sandro with Mason a long way behind. It looks like Poch wants a midfield of 2 and a balance between defensive strength and an ability to transition play forward in as rapid and effective a way as possible. Ideally he is looking for people who have both skills but with one who has a stronger bias in one versus the other player who has a stronger bias towards the other area. Therefore you could argue he'll need a minimum of 4 players based around 2 core skill sets - those being; defensive and destructive by nature and; those being more attack oriented and slick and quick in transitioning defence to attack. Logically that would translate to; Capoue and Sandro and in a more attacking sense; Bentaleb and Paulinho. If however bringing people in was an option then I think Schneiderlin would be an improvement on Sandro. That would therefore mean; Sandro, Dembele and Holtby are all surplus to requirements

I'd definitely count Holtby as an AM, rather than a CM.

And I'd see Schneiderlin as more attacking - his short passing is his standout quality. He's very good at intercepting, but isn't much of a tackler.

I don't think we can really judge Poch's pecking order of Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho simply because they haven't been fit and/or available to him for him to show a preference (maybe even make up his mind).

I'll hold off from effectively dismissing Mason's chances of getting game time this season. I suspect that he impressed Poch hugely during pre season. I think it very possible that he'll get plenty of minutes on the pitch for Europa League (if we progress!) and Capital One Cup games this season. And if he continues to impress, he might figure in quite a few Premier League games too.

I see no reason, at the moment, why he couldn't be at least as effective as Bentaleb in that midfield role.

The lack of outgoings....I wonder if papers got it wrong. Maybe we are waiting to see who we can get in before we sell.

Last edited:
The lack of outgoings....I wonder if theaters got it wrong. Maybe we are waiting to see who we can get in before we sell.

After the ****-up at LB last summer re BAE and Coentrao, it makes sense. We also nearly got caught out with Caulker and Chiriches after the Romanian club's president got put in gaol.

This summer we've been quite symmetrically doing 1 out, 1 in. Davies-Siggy, Gomes-Vorm, Falque-Dier, Daws-Fazio

However the emergence of Bentaleb probably means we've got a CM who can be disposed of without needing replacing (and then maybe let a second go if we do get MS).

Back