• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

i was surprised Georgiou wasnt given a full debut. He would have provided pace, energy and a natural left footed balance on the left. Also including Aurier from the start would have given us dynamism down both flanks.

Lloris
Alderweireld Sanchez Vertonghen
Aurier Dier Dele Georgiou
Eriksen Kane Son​

Trippier switched to LWB was even worse. All he did was play 5 yard passes inside whenever he received the ball. Absolute madness that tactical switch. It was like playing with 10 men/a cone for the whole of the 2nd half.
Poch said in the press conference that Dembele was tired after Wed. He's also said that Winks doesn't have 100% confidence after his ankle injury. That being said - why are they on the bench if you don't want to bring them on? Same with Ben Davies??

For me I would've taken off Sanchez and dropped Dier back. Sanchez has had a decent week but is quite raw and he was a bit ragged against Swansea. Tammy Abraham gave him a tough game and some of his passes out of defence were dreadful. Dier is better on the ball than Sanchez and could've provided better service into midfield in the last 20 mins.
I didn't notice the differerence with Trippier really. He did pretty much exactly the same thing playing RWB in the first half. Him off. Aurier on and Son remaining as LWB would've been my preference, as I thought Son was getting some joy down the left.

i was surprised Georgiou wasnt given a full debut. He would have provided pace, energy and a natural left footed balance on the left. Also including Aurier from the start would have given us dynamism down both flanks.

Lloris
Alderweireld Sanchez Vertonghen
Aurier Dier Dele Georgiou
Eriksen Kane Son​
Still would've had the problem of 4 defensive players centrally though. Also not sure that Giorgiou would've offered any more width than Son did.

I didn't notice the differerence with Trippier really. He did pretty much exactly the same thing playing RWB in the first half. Him off. Aurier on and Son remaining as LWB would've been my preference, as I thought Son was getting some joy down the left.

I know what you mean - it just seemed even worse that it was sooo obvious that he was going to pass sideways or backwards. Swansea knew it as well. When he was on the right there was always the threat that if he got the ball in the right position he might be able to put in a great cross. Its been a while since he actually did that however...

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino dismisses importance of domestic cup competitions as he calls on his stars to focus on Premier League: 'Wigan won the FA Cup... where is Wigan now?'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tino-dismisses-Carabao-Cup.html#ixzz4t2otBYRw

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino insists the club should be aiming for the biggest prizes in the Premier League and Champions League rather than settling for success in the domestic cup competitions.

Tottenham launch their Carabao Cup campaign at home to Barnsley on Tuesday evening. For all Tottenham's vast progress under Pochettino, the club are still to lift a trophy since winning the competition with Juande Ramos as manager in 2008.

Pochettino accepts a cup win would lift the fans but insists the pressure is on Spurs to aim even higher.

Pochettino said: 'The pressure is to win the Premier League or Champions League. They are the two big trophies. I'd love to win a cup for our fans but Tottenham must build a project for the Premier League and Champions League.

'If we forget those two, it's a big mistake. For a big team to win trophies, it means the Premier League or Champions League. Wigan won the FA Cup. Where is Wigan now? League One. That is the most important example.'

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino dismisses importance of domestic cup competitions as he calls on his stars to focus on Premier League: 'Wigan won the FA Cup... where is Wigan now?'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tino-dismisses-Carabao-Cup.html#ixzz4t2otBYRw

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino insists the club should be aiming for the biggest prizes in the Premier League and Champions League rather than settling for success in the domestic cup competitions.

Tottenham launch their Carabao Cup campaign at home to Barnsley on Tuesday evening. For all Tottenham's vast progress under Pochettino, the club are still to lift a trophy since winning the competition with Juande Ramos as manager in 2008.

Pochettino accepts a cup win would lift the fans but insists the pressure is on Spurs to aim even higher.

Pochettino said: 'The pressure is to win the Premier League or Champions League. They are the two big trophies. I'd love to win a cup for our fans but Tottenham must build a project for the Premier League and Champions League.

'If we forget those two, it's a big mistake. For a big team to win trophies, it means the Premier League or Champions League. Wigan won the FA Cup. Where is Wigan now? League One. That is the most important example.'

i agree. so minimally top 4 every year.
domestic cups are incidental.

xG is a pretty accurate model which represents the relative attack strengthes of teams and the quality of produced moments. As for me, it sometimes understimates a bit the value of long-range shooting (especially in our case as we have solid long-range finishers in Eriksen, Kane), but overall it's much more objective than home fans view from the stadium.
The game against Swansea was fully one-sided but we can't say that we were just unlucky. We should be able to make much more clear cut chances against opponents like Swansea. Still we could and should have won but with a minimal margin.

I never said we were unlucky, what we were was not clinical enough with the chances we created and its not a new thing it happened several times last season as well.

Has that fudged you off @parklane1 ? (serious question)

I know what you mean - it just seemed even worse that it was sooo obvious that he was going to pass sideways or backwards. Swansea knew it as well. When he was on the right there was always the threat that if he got the ball in the right position he might be able to put in a great cross. Its been a while since he actually did that however...
It's true he tended to pass backwards a lot but mainly because his avenue down the flank was always completely blocked off by defenders.

It's frankly no different to what Walker is/was apt to do, likewise Davies. However to imply he failed to put any crosses over is quite wrong, I have watched the game again and noticed he put quite a number across, most of which it has to be said were cleared away but again that's no different to what was happening to all the crosses that were being put in from all directions by everyone else. In nearly 65 years watching Spurs (yep!) I'm struggling to remember a game where so many crosses were put in and such a high number were cleared away. Would love to see the stats, it was nothing short of embarrassing.

But full credit to Swansea, they defended quite magnificently.

It's true he tended to pass backwards a lot but mainly because his avenue down the flank was always completely blocked off by defenders.

It's frankly no different to what Walker is/was apt to do, likewise Davies. However to imply he failed to put any crosses over is quite wrong, I have watched the game again and noticed he put quite a number across, most of which it has to be said were cleared away but again that's no different to what was happening to all the crosses that were being put in from all directions by everyone else. In nearly 65 years watching Spurs (yep!) I'm struggling to remember a game where so many crosses were put in and such a high number were cleared away. Would love to see the stats, it was nothing short of embarrassing.

FWIW...

IMG_0846.jpg IMG_0845.jpgIMG_0848.jpgIMG_0847.jpg

Last edited:

I thought there were a few occassions where he gave it to Sissoko and then instead of continuing down the line, as he had an opportunity to do to attempt to get beyond them, he instead checked and stayed back to receive the ball. Additionally his starting position always also seemed to be about 10 yards deeper than Son's. It meant that he wasn't stretching the opposition's defence enough and therefore not really creating any gaps centrally for us to play through.

I thought Trippier was our worst player on Saturday. He had absolutely no defending to do at all and yet made zero positive impact in our attacking game. Dier was probably next worst on the pitch, but that was more the fact that there was no real need for a player of his type to be out there.

Urgh, I could not disagree with the manager more over his comments on a cup

We are not too big, not even close.
I am really pleased that we have a manager who has his own target of winning the league.

My thoughts here are that Cup wins at the expense of top 4 finishes do not move the club forward. They are great moments for us fans, but do not necessarily equate to continued success. However a team who have multiple seasons challenging at the top of the league and going into the latter stages of the CL will receive sustained large revenues and sponsorships that allow a bigger and better squad, which then allows the club to challenge across more competitions.

Hopefully Poch has a long term view for us. If he a achieves the first part of his ambitions then the rest will naturally follow IMO.

I never said we were unlucky, what we were was not clinical enough with the chances we created and its not a new thing it happened several times last season as well.
I wasn't referring personally to you. I just tried to decrease the feeling of unfairness and unluck which sit in many fans' heads after Swansea game.

Back