• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

You are right we do, but i do not think changing our team to a more cavalier approach would change anything ( it may even help opposing teams to create more and just think how much stick some supporters would throw at Poch then). We need to take a bigger % of the chances we make.

We didn't create that many chances. Our XG was about 1. (Not a perfect stat I know, but a useful rough indicator I think.)

Agree though that fans often overestimate the impact of tactical / personnel choices, and that that wasn't the whole story yesterday.

We should just have a cavalier approach to these games. Play on the front foot and he less worried defensively. It's a risk to take, abandoning defensive play, but we didn't need a back 3 and defensive midfielder against Swansea. That was witnessed by Vertonghen and Alderweireld pushing further forward. Sanchez often appeared to be our last man.

I'd say use the three but have Vertonghen move more in to a defensive mid position as he's comfortable on the ball. Then drop Dier for the match. We then use Aurier, and Son as wingbacks. Son is less of a worry at wing back against a team like Swansea. He will do more attacking than defensive work. That then gives us chance to use two upfront in Llorente and Kane with three attacking midfielders. I'm gutted that Dembele couldn't play as I think his direct style of play helps to break teams like this down. Add in Eriksen & Alli and that's how I'd play it.
We played with 3 (or 2) CH's and 2 CM in front of them all of last season (in a 3421 or 4231) and rolled nearly everyone over.

We have reduced the CM in front down to 1 already. And Sanchez coming straight in at the centre CB has actually released Jan and Toby to concentrate on helping offensively in the great ways they can (pinpoint long balls, jan carrying the ball etc). Like you say, it almost leaves us with a back one at times. You cannot get anymore offensive than that. There is no need to go crazy on formation/personel/position changes.

The intensity, especially from the get go, is sometimes lacking and with that we look occasionally devoid of ideas during spells in the game. We become a bit uninventive.

We are not far off winning these games and thats why i suggested above (in the long post) that changing things too much from the tried and tested blueprint is a bit of an over reaction. And that includes Poch fiddling around too much, which is something i never thought would be part of his management style.

Well we need to do something soon. I know that perhaps it's unrealistic to think this way but, I think we could be fighting for the title. But, if we continue to drop points like this, then we won't be. City, in particular, and United are surging ahead scoring goals for fun whilst we can only score one league goal in three home league matches, the other was an own goal.

This time last season City were 'surging ahead scoring goals for fun' and we all know how that ended.

i do not think changing our team to a more cavalier approach would change anything ( it may even help opposing teams to create more...
Of course it would! If these weak teams had more of the play, they would come out a bit, it would become an open game and our superior talent would come to the fore. We need teams to come out and play us... we can't keep pushing softly against a closed door.

It was such a stilted, slow performance. Ideally we would buzz around and pin them in and pressure them and dribble and scrap in the box until we get a goal or pen... but we just stood off and lofted it about and came back out and across and in and out and back across and vaguely probe but then back out and zzzzzzz I was falling asleep.

Failing a really busy/buzzy performance, it would be great if these teams came out and committed 4 men forwards and attacked us, then we have a chance to break on them and actually score. There was a couple of times yesterday when they came out, but we were too slow to capitalise.

Of course it would! If these weak teams had more of the play, they would come out a bit, it would become an open game and our superior talent would come to the fore. We need teams to come out and play us... we can't keep pushing softly against a closed door.

It was such a stilted, slow performance. Ideally we would buzz around and pin them in and pressure them and dribble and scrap in the box until we get a goal or pen... but we just stood off and lofted it about and came back out and across and in and out and back across and vaguely probe but then back out and zzzzzzz I was falling asleep.

Failing a really busy/buzzy performance, it would be great if these teams came out and committed 4 men forwards and attacked us, then we have a chance to break on them and actually score. There was a couple of times yesterday when they came out, but we were too slow to capitalise.

And yet despite all that you have said we still had 20 odd shots and could/should have won easily. Its not the formation that needs changing its the finishing we need to be more clinical with.

And yet despite all that you have said we still had 20 odd shots and could/should have won easily. Its not the formation that needs changing its the finishing we need to be more clinical with.
It was 20 speculative punts, not 20 high value shots. Our xG was 1.1 and that does not take into account there were always 2 men between the player shooting and the goal. The real xG would be lower because the chances were so poor

It was 20 speculative punts, not 20 high value shots. Our xG was 1.1 and that does not take into account there were always 2 men between the player shooting and the goal. The real xG would be lower because the chances were so poor

Bang on.

People quoting shots on targets are not really giving a clear view of how the match was.

Well you know what you can do with your XG d'ont you ;). Most fans i have talked to who were at the game have said the same as i have, IF we had taken our chances we would have won with a clear margin, the same as we should have done against Burnley.

Well you know what you can do with your XG d'ont you ;). Most fans i have talked to who were at the game have said the same as i have, IF we had taken our chances we would have won with a clear margin, the same as we should have done against Burnley.

flapianski didn't make that many proper saves did he

Kane free kick and Kane header
Son shot near post
Anything else?

We huffed and puffed but didn't draw them out

They always had 5 men on the edge of their box and were brilliant at it

We just didn't work out a way behind the line and that's what was needed

But we didn't use that tactic last season and were rolling them over ok. ?

Good point about slow turnovers. I thought we'd turned a corner with our win against bvb midweek.

Sent from my SM-G950F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

flapianski didn't make that many proper saves did he

Kane free kick and Kane header
Son shot near post
Anything else?

We huffed and puffed but didn't draw them out

They always had 5 men on the edge of their box and were brilliant at it

We just didn't work out a way behind the line and that's what was needed
Ali sent a header across goal to nowhere when it was easier to go for goal, his first touch also failed him when he was through to goal

Ali sent a header across goal to nowhere when it was easier to go for goal, his first touch also failed him when he was through to goal

And Kane hit the Bar and Son the post I believe we also had at least one clear cut penalty turned down... the fact is We did create, and 3-0 wouldn't have flattered us.

My only slight critical comment would be, that with Lorente on, we could and should change tactics to take advantage of his dominance in the air.... and if teams are sitting back contesting the middle (which is exactly what the swans were doing) then we very much need to use the space left on the wings and Lorente to create chances and give them something else to think about

Last edited:
He does not look fit IMHO.

Poch yesterday did not act early enough, sat there shaking his head!
Toughen up geezer and give them the hook if its not working.

Started Son at leftback? :eek: Again!!!!
Spn playing LWB had no adaverse impact. He actually did well there. Compare his performance to Trippier's on the right. Trippier did not get beyond Swansea once and should've been hooked at half time for Aurier. The other change I would've made was Dier for a player who either run with the ball (Dembele) or pass the ball creatively (Winks). There is no need to play Dier to break up play against a team who aren't having any play and only commiting 2 or 3 players to any rare attacks that they have.

xG is a pretty accurate model which represents the relative attack strengthes of teams and the quality of produced moments. As for me, it sometimes understimates a bit the value of long-range shooting (especially in our case as we have solid long-range finishers in Eriksen, Kane), but overall it's much more objective than home fans view from the stadium.
The game against Swansea was fully one-sided but we can't say that we were just unlucky. We should be able to make much more clear cut chances against opponents like Swansea. Still we could and should have won but with a minimal margin.

The big question I have is whether we really need Dier on the pitch as well as the three centre halves when playing at home to a team like Swansea?

Dier is a good player but offers very little in an attacking sense, especially against a packed defence.

IMO - we either play the 3 we had at the back yesterday and replace Dier with a more Dynamic player or we don't play Sanchez and keep Dier as that holding midfielder who drops in like a 3rd centre half.

Having 4 central, defensive players made it much easier for Swansea to stay in their good defensive shape. We were crying out for a player in the middle who would beat a player and force one of their deeper players to have to come out to the ball.

I am guessing that Poch still has some fitness concerns over both Dembele and Winks otherwise I think we would've seen one of them, at least at half time.

Spn playing LWB had no adaverse impact. He actually did well there. Compare his performance to Trippier's on the right. Trippier did not get beyond Swansea once and should've been hooked at half time for Aurier. The other change I would've made was Dier for a player who either run with the ball (Dembele) or pass the ball creatively (Winks). There is no need to play Dier to break up play against a team who aren't having any play and only commiting 2 or 3 players to any rare attacks that they have.
Trippier switched to LWB was even worse. All he did was play 5 yard passes inside whenever he received the ball. Absolute madness that tactical switch. It was like playing with 10 men/a cone for the whole of the 2nd half.
Poch said in the press conference that Dembele was tired after Wed. He's also said that Winks doesn't have 100% confidence after his ankle injury. That being said - why are they on the bench if you don't want to bring them on? Same with Ben Davies??

For me I would've taken off Sanchez and dropped Dier back. Sanchez has had a decent week but is quite raw and he was a bit ragged against Swansea. Tammy Abraham gave him a tough game and some of his passes out of defence were dreadful. Dier is better on the ball than Sanchez and could've provided better service into midfield in the last 20 mins.

Back