• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

It is not that Trippier is slow. He is unable to create space if a defender is in front of him. He can't run at players with the ball. The other FBs do that. It is a serious flaw with him.

No he is not inherently slow, but he was in that position yesterday and against a packed defence.

If you were going to get Trippier crossing continuously from deep at least put Llorente on upfront.

^agreed. However watch Trippier, as long as an opponent is in front of him, he passes the ball back.

That is the same with most of the players except Son and Kane yesterday - Serge when he came on as well.

So negative, we seemed to try for the easier option yesterday rather than try and push something.

Jan at left back and bring Foyth in the back three? (it was Swansea). Not ideal but better than Trippier on the left, he was dreadfully slow.
Jan is actually like Davies as a LB, technically good left foot,good defensively and lack of pace that is made up for with footballing intelligence so not a bad idea. But I stick with opinion Son wasn't a bad choice there, he was threatening attacking wise and didn't have to do much defending as was only Swansea....

Jan is actually like Davies as a LB, technically good left foot,good defensively and lack of pace that is made up for with footballing intelligence so not a bad idea. But I stick with opinion Son wasn't a bad choice there, he was threatening attacking wise and didn't have to do much defending as was only Swansea....

Son was OK there so why take him off.

arh well, spilt milk.........move on

That is the same with most of the players except Son and Kane yesterday - Serge when he came on as well.

So negative, we seemed to try for the easier option yesterday rather than try and push something.
Yeah that disappointed me when Aurier came on, was hoping for more aggressive wing play but he played it safe and was no different to Trippier etc in just passing it safely backwards....

Surely an admission that Son there wasn't working?
But Tripper only 'worked' there defensively. If only we had a player who has played LB for his country who could have given us an extra attacking edge. Oh wait, we do. Given how little Swansea threatened Verts would more than likely have proved us more going forward the Trippier.

I'm a massive Poch fan. He is still young in manager terms but he has undoubtedly worked his magic with the current squad and we are by all accounts punching above our weight with the resources available. ie we are where we are BECAUSE of Poch.

However we all like to call it as we see it and yesterday was another game where you are left scratching your head.

Lets get it right. We still dominated, Swansea never looked like scoring (despite the efforts of an impressive Abraham), and of course with a little more luck or Dean giving us the pen we would have stumbled across the line.

BUT we cannot rely on that, we faced a camped in Swansea side, but that is nothing new, all the way back to the Redknapp days we have faced that and gradually (especially last season) we have appeared to crack that problem almost to the point that it didn't seem like a problem, ever.

Yesterday felt like a throwback to one of those Redknapp home games. We lacked oomph, genuine creativity, and the nowse to overcome.

There is quite a bit of tinkering going on, and i wonder if Poch is overestimating the flexibility of this side?
I know we are fluid but there is a limit to this. We were pretty much attached to two systems last season, 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-2-1 with the latter probably being more successful. I think we should stick to this as much as possible. I know Poch has indicated that he wants to make the CL and PL equally important so rotation to a certain level is to be expected but some of his decisions are as i said in the beginning, head scratchers.

If Davies (as has now been revealed) and Rose is injured then we really should be playing 4 at the back and Jan at LB (unless KWP can be trusted). Son at LWB was a selection i thought (and everyone else?) i'd never witness again after the Chelsea semi. He did nothing wrong yesterday but would be better as one of the 3 behind kane in a 4231.

Trippier on the left is madness. His far and away best quality is perched on the right swinging fantastic crosses in. I really thought he would be a main weapon against these sit back teams. Well he hasnt done it against Burnley and Swansea BUT moving him to the left is unfathomable.

I'm not sure whether he is playing Dier on his own to give Sissoko a more suitable position in midfield. He really is trying with Sissoko but imo whatever we are expecting from Sissoko it is never gonna arrive. And certainly not in a game like yesterdays. A caveat is im not sure whether Winks/Moose were options but i'd be quite happy for Eriksen to play from deeper in this case.

The one thing i thought Poch was, was pragmatic and would stick to the blueprint.

Llorente - 'What i'm gonna do is put you on and get the ball up to you so we can use your height' surely that was the plan?? WTF happened?
Aurier - Not quite as quick as i expected, perhaps 2 months of Poch training will set him alight.
Sanchez - i do likey, but probably found out yesterday that there are other powerful players in the prem, so watch out.
Dele - hmmm...all i would say is, Dele 'don't believe the hype AND don't believe your own hype'
Wembley - the pitch doesn't appear as slick as the lane. The size imo doesn't matter. The move is having an effect but we did set the bar so very high in that last season at WHL. And after being there 3 times this year i cannot wait to get back to N17, all i could think of on Wednesday was imagine if that great Dortmund game had been at the old lane, a real glory glory night. Wembley never gets rocking and is just so souless.

Last edited:
He could've been more positive I agree.... No need to have four centre halves on the pitch in a game like that and Trippier didnt get beyond Swansea once and should've been hooked at half time, but Poch is the best manager we have had since Burkinshaw. If you don't see that then I despair.

Indeed, no matter what we as fans think about our performance yesterday we had plenty of attempts to have won the game easily. Playing Son, Trippier or whoever was NOT the reason we only drew, we ( once again) had plenty of efforts at their goal and we failed to finish them.

The same happened against Burnley and it has happened before ( last season), we do score a lot of goals but we also create a lot of chances to score many more. Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist i am not having a go at Kane etc, but we HAVE to be more clinical in ALL games.

I am really amazed that there are some fans who question our manager ( as you say he is by far the best we have had since KB), is he perfect? is he hell but then no manager is.

My big problem with yesterday was the lack of intensity again in the first 15 mins!
When we look at the intensity level we shown on Wednesday and how we started yesterday they were poles apart.
We have this easy oasy way starting too many games.

We should just have a cavalier approach to these games. Play on the front foot and he less worried defensively. It's a risk to take, abandoning defensive play, but we didn't need a back 3 and defensive midfielder against Swansea. That was witnessed by Vertonghen and Alderweireld pushing further forward. Sanchez often appeared to be our last man.

I'd say use the three but have Vertonghen move more in to a defensive mid position as he's comfortable on the ball. Then drop Dier for the match. We then use Aurier, and Son as wingbacks. Son is less of a worry at wing back against a team like Swansea. He will do more attacking than defensive work. That then gives us chance to use two upfront in Llorente and Kane with three attacking midfielders. I'm gutted that Dembele couldn't play as I think his direct style of play helps to break teams like this down. Add in Eriksen & Alli and that's how I'd play it.

We should just have a cavalier approach to these games. Play on the front foot and he less worried defensively. It's a risk to take, abandoning defensive play, but we didn't need a back 3 and defensive midfielder against Swansea. That was witnessed by Vertonghen and Alderweireld pushing further forward. Sanchez often appeared to be our last man.

I'd say use the three but have Vertonghen move more in to a defensive mid position as he's comfortable on the ball. Then drop Dier for the match. We then use Aurier, and Son as wingbacks. Son is less of a worry at wing back against a team like Swansea. He will do more attacking than defensive work. That then gives us chance to use two upfront in Llorente and Kane with three attacking midfielders. I'm gutted that Dembele couldn't play as I think his direct style of play helps to break teams like this down. Add in Eriksen & Alli and that's how I'd play it.

I do not think we have to do that at all, we had enough chances yesterday to have won easily so the team set up is not the reason we dropped points against Burnley or Swansea.

I do not think we have to do that at all, we had enough chances yesterday to have won easily so the team set up is not the reason we dropped points against Burnley or Swansea.

Well we need to do something soon. I know that perhaps it's unrealistic to think this way but, I think we could be fighting for the title. But, if we continue to drop points like this, then we won't be. City, in particular, and United are surging ahead scoring goals for fun whilst we can only score one league goal in three home league matches, the other was an own goal.

Well we need to do something soon. I know that perhaps it's unrealistic to think this way but, I think we could be fighting for the title. But, if we continue to drop points like this, then we won't be. City, in particular, and United are surging ahead scoring goals for fun whilst we can only score one league goal in three home league matches, the other was an own goal.

You are right we do, but i do not think changing our team to a more cavalier approach would change anything ( it may even help opposing teams to create more and just think how much stick some supporters would throw at Poch then). We need to take a bigger % of the chances we make.

Back