• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

It was clearly the slow tempo, not in keeping with anything Poch has said he wants from any of his teams. Why that is happening more at home? I don't know, perhaps the fear of making mistakes in front of the home crowd.

I've thought the atmosphere was a lot better this season, everyone seems to be on the same page and the pressure seems to have been reduced. The QPR performance also suggested our squad has turned the corner on that score. But perhaps they are afraid of playing at a quick tempo and making mistakes due to the crowd.

Or maybe it is the slightly narrower pitch. I honestly have no idea. But I highly doubt it is something weird like the whole team not playing well because Kaboul and Chiriches, two perfectly capable defenders and perfectly capable of beating West Brom, were selected.

AVB came out and explicitly said it at one point. The players don't like playing at home in the league because of the atmosphere.

I think we need to fast-track giving 1882 their own block in Park Lane

people talk patience but rarely do they seem capable of displaying any
I think that part of the problem is that so many people just looking to be proved right. How many "I told you player x was crap" posts do we get every game? I think that this leads to a negative atmosphere where a subjective view of a performance becomes impossible.

I'd be interested in a comparison of match scores between people who participate in the OMT during the game and those that don't. I suspect that the scores from the latter would be higher.

AVB came out and explicitly said it at one point. The players don't like playing at home in the league because of the atmosphere.

the players have to create the atmosphere.....go out and attack the opposition from the beginning, go for their throats

Exactly. This is why I had no issue with AVB coming out and saying it, its the truth. I have no idea why it upset so many on here, it was hardly an outrageous statement.

I go to about 15 games a year and I constantly feel uncomfortable with how the crowd turns on the players, so GHod knows how the players feel....

people talk patience but rarely do they seem capable of displaying any.

Arsenal Southampton and City are our next 3 games, unfortunately i can already envisage the first Pochettino out calls shortly after

lets be patient.....I hope Poch picks Kaboul and Chiriches for every PL game until at least the new year. Patience is the key:)

I think that part of the problem is that so many people just looking to be proved right. How many "I told you player x was crap" posts do we get every game? I think that this leads to a negative atmosphere where a subjective view of a performance becomes impossible.

I'd be interested in a comparison of match scores between people who participate in the OMT during the game and those that don't. I suspect that the scores from the latter would be higher.

It's a symptom of the 'football manager, tactics chalkboard' internet generation we now live in. Anyone can claim to be an expert in football nowadays, and added to that they can reference some fancy chalk board or OPTA website to try and justify a stance which probably wasn't thought up in their own head in the first place.

Basically, everyone thinks they know more about football than anyone else, so they feel the need to jump up and down shouting 'look at me, look at me' when a player they claim isn't very good plays badly. Back in the day most people probably went to games just to enjoy the day, support the team, get p*ssed and have a laugh.

It's a symptom of the 'football manager, tactics chalkboard' internet generation we now live in. Anyone can claim to be an expert in football nowadays, and added to that they can reference some fancy chalk board or OPTA website to try and justify a stance which probably wasn't thought up in their own head in the first place.

Basically, everyone thinks they know more about football than anyone else, so they feel the need to jump up and down shouting 'look at me, look at me' when a player they claim isn't very good plays badly. Back in the day most people probably went to games just to enjoy the day, support the team, get p*ssed and have a laugh.
yeah but football clubs now use all these types of statistical data to make decisions on players, so why shouldnt fans be able to do the same to back up their argument. ........i agree with you that in the past fans went to football to just have a good time watching their side, but a lot has changed mainly due to the actual cost of going to football now and the obscene wages paid to players. Also all seating has had an effect,mates can no longer group together and stand and cheer their team on, standing, singing, chanting is just to crazy for football in the modern times. So whats left? Of course fans now expect to be entertained, expect the team to win and patience is thin. The fans see overpaid primadonnas failing to perform week in week out, failing to even do the basics sometimes, of course they are going to quickly get the hump.

yeah but football clubs now use all these types of statistical data to make decisions on players, so why shouldnt fans be able to do the same to back up their argument. ........i agree with you that in the past fans went to football to just have a good time watching their side, but a lot has changed mainly due to the actual cost of going to football now and the obscene wages paid to players. Also all seating has had an effect,mates can no longer group together and stand and cheer their team on, standing, singing, chanting is just to crazy for football in the modern times. So whats left? Of course fans now expect to be entertained, expect the team to win and patience is thin. The fans see overpaid primadonnas failing to perform week in week out, failing to even do the basics sometimes, of course they are going to quickly get the hump.

The way they've been playing they'd struggle to be Comprimarios let alone the Prima Donna.

But yes I have to agree that when someone is paid large amounts of money you do expect to receive something in return. Perhaps we just have to accept that maybe the players just aren't as good as we'd like to believe they are.

=D>

It's a weak excuse. The atmosphere was fine yesterday at the start of the match. The crowd also stayed with the team even after an appalling first half. The booing at the end was completely justified - IMO only Rose and (for effort) Lamela should've been holding their heads high at the end.

Exactly. This is why I had no issue with AVB coming out and saying it, its the truth. I have no idea why it upset so many on here, it was hardly an outrageous statement.

I go to about 15 games a year and I constantly feel uncomfortable with how the crowd turns on the players, so GHod knows how the players feel....

The atmosphere wasn't brilliant under AVB because his teams were so bloody boring to watch. it's hard cheering and being positive when the team you are watching are aimlessly moving the ball about in their own half.

Completely agree.

I think that the clubs are unlikely to use data selectively to reinforce their prejudices

couldn't have put it better myself

The atmosphere wasn't brilliant under AVB because his teams were so bloody boring to watch. it's hard cheering and being positive when the team you are watching are aimlessly moving the ball about in their own half.

Seems like yesterday at say, Liverpool 2nd half were exactly like how an AVB team played at home though. And people thought it was AVB's desire to slow it down that much and that he was being unfair by also asking the crowd to cheer it.

But we are getting the same sort of performances under Poch at home, save for QPR. Maybe there is a deeper issue? Poch clearly states he wants fast tempo football so why are the players playing slow still? It's like they are afraid to let go, take risks and throw a bit of caution to the wind.

Under Sherwood we could attack but didn't look like we had an identity even if we won the points. It seems like our players can play to win, or play with an identity, but they don't have the mental capacity to do both. And that baffles me as to why, because I really think we have a talented squad that if was in any other club, would be able to do both.

That excuse is just too simplistic to cover the bigger picture. I'm not defending the atmosphere, but how comes Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea and Arsenal can win despite having equally (if not worse) home support? Hell, Old Trafford is hardly the Westfalenstadion at its best, but it hasn't stopped them winning.

I'm not discarding it as a factor, but it can't be the sole reason.

I despair if this is the case. For example, I am not Adebayor's biggest fan, but I am praying he scores a hat trick on Saturday.

Maybe in the short term fans may believe it's in club's best interest if x player or manager has a crap game so the club may realise this and get rid, but in the long term, I just don't see why people would be so bitter as to essentially root against your own club just to be proved right.

I despair if this is the case. For example, I am not Adebayor's biggest fan, but I am praying he scores a hat trick on Saturday.

Maybe in the short term fans may believe it's in club's best interest if x player or manager has a crap game so the club may realise this and get rid, but in the long term, I just don't see why people would be so bitter as to essentially root against your own club just to be proved right.
I am not sure that it is about supporting the club. It feels like oneupmanship to me.

people talk patience but rarely do they seem capable of displaying any.

Arsenal Southampton and City are our next 3 games, unfortunately i can already envisage the first Pochettino out calls shortly after

I'm more worried about the board/Levy than the fans. I would honestly give Poch at least 2 years, even if we finish 7th this season.

[SPECIAL][/SPECIAL]

I guess £40-£60k plus per week eases their pain no?

Back