• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I'll have more confidence in seeing us break them down with Poch than with AVB. His front three have a level of fluidity that the AVB system never had.

Under AVB we rarely got more than two players in the box during an attack, Poch is far more of a risk taker with four or five player attacking goal scoring positions.

AVBs tactics were to win the ball and keep it until a chance presented itself. Taking as few risks as possible. The consequences of which were hours of playing in front of teams, reduced to pot shots from distance and football as exciting as watch paint dry.

Poch's tactics are to win the ball and get it forward quickly, getting the opposition on the back foot and creating chances. Keen to take risks knowing if they lose it they'll win it back.

Two managers playing the same formation but with totally different philosophies on how it should function.

Under AVB we rarely got more than two players in the box during an attack, Poch is far more of a risk taker with four or five player attacking goal scoring positions.

AVBs tactics were to win the ball and keep it until a chance presented itself. Taking as few risks as possible. The consequences of which were hours of playing in front of teams, reduced to pot shots from distance and football as exciting as watch paint dry.

Poch's tactics are to win the ball and get it forward quickly, getting the opposition on the back foot and creating chances. Keen to take risks knowing if they lose it they'll win it back.

Two managers playing the same formation but with totally different philosophies on how it should function.

Despite all that, and with everyone praising how Southampton attacked, they only scored 54 goals in the PL. To get in the top 4 we will need to be aiming for 75 to 80 plus goals surely? Are our attacking players that more prolific than Southampton's?

My mate is a Saints season ticket holder. He said Poch created an unbelievable team spirit and thinks he'll be a success here.

Did offer a few words of warning though: struggled like **** to break teams down sometimes, inflexible and didn't have a plan b when plan a wasn't working and also lost a lot of good will of the fans when he fielded a reserve side at Sunderland in the cup despite having nothing to play for in the league.

This 'struggled to break down the bus parkers' thing I just don't get. Of course it will be a struggle. If a team comes with the sole intention of playing for a draw a lot of the time it will be a struggle. Every single team will draw some games they shouldn't, and I really don't think there is a sure fire way to break down a team that wants to leave no space whatsoever to play in anyway.

MoPo's fluid and adaptable system that uses long passes, crosses as well as some neat, intricate play seems like it has as good a chance of any of breaking down those kinds of teams to be honest.

OK, how are we going to break down teams at home who come and park a bus or two. So far Poch and his teams have never had to deal with this.

With great difficulty, just like every other team (including the very, very best). That's why teams park the bus - it massively outperforms the expected points per game.

If you consider struggling to break down teams parking the bus a criticism then you will find yourself criticising every single football manager that has ever existed.

With great difficulty, just like every other team (including the very, very best). That's why teams park the bus - it massively outperforms the expected points per game.

If you consider struggling to break down teams parking the bus a criticism then you will find yourself criticising every single football manager that has ever existed.

Some managers/teams do find it easier though...

Agreed.

I mean your point is valid....most teams will find it hard (or harder) to break down 'park the bus' teams.

I'd love for our new manager to be able to wave a magic tactics wand and all of a sudden we can get past that kind of team but I just don't see it.

We're in a really tough place competition-wise - we're good enough that most teams will park the bus, but we're not good enough that we have/can attract the kind of players that can walk through the bus.

I certainly won't be on the "Poch is ****" bandwagon if we fail to break down stubborn teams.

I'd love for our new manager to be able to wave a magic tactics wand and all of a sudden we can get past that kind of team but I just don't see it.

We're in a really tough place competition-wise - we're good enough that most teams will park the bus, but we're not good enough that we have/can attract the kind of players that can walk through the bus.

I certainly won't be on the "Poch is ****" bandwagon if we fail to break down stubborn teams.

Yeah West Ham managed to shut out Chelsea at the bridge this season by parking the bus. Its incredibly difficult to beat a team who are organised and hard working and come for the sole purpose of avoiding defeat even the best sides struggle against these tactics and the reality is that it often takes a mistake by an individual or a moment of genius to win games like these

Not sure if this has already been posted. It is an assessment of Poch by a SCBC fan.

Much of it has already been discussed: preference for a core of players; no plan B; like-for-like subs even when things are going badly.

When Pochettino arrived at the Club the Ugly Inside published a link to a story published on the QPR website on fansnetwork, written by a Spanish QPR fan who lives in Barcelona and supports Espanyol, the article was well written and painted a picture of Pochettino, one that proved to be accurate and its predictions spookily turning out to be correct.

It stated that Pochettino had been a very popular man at Espanyol, but he managed in a very rigid style, preferred to use a core of players rather than the whole squad and that each season followed a similar pattern of a good start followed by a drop in winter as injuries took their toll with the odd burst of wins making sure that the club never dropped into the relegation zone.

Just as well we have a fantastic medical team, then ;)

Not sure if this has already been posted. It is an assessment of Poch by a SCBC fan.

Much of it has already been discussed: preference for a core of players; no plan B; like-for-like subs even when things are going badly.

When Pochettino arrived at the Club the Ugly Inside published a link to a story published on the QPR website on fansnetwork, written by a Spanish QPR fan who lives in Barcelona and supports Espanyol, the article was well written and painted a picture of Pochettino, one that proved to be accurate and its predictions spookily turning out to be correct.

It stated that Pochettino had been a very popular man at Espanyol, but he managed in a very rigid style, preferred to use a core of players rather than the whole squad and that each season followed a similar pattern of a good start followed by a drop in winter as injuries took their toll with the odd burst of wins making sure that the club never dropped into the relegation zone.

Be interesting to see how he works with a bigger squad. My instinct says it will be a massive help to him, because if players start to drop due to the tough fitness requirements there are other good players to come in.

Also making like for like subs doesn't fuss me. The system is the system. You play it till it works.

I don't get this playing favourites bull****. Maybe his "favourites" are the guys that can play. Espanyol and SCBC would have their share of dross. We do too but the talented guys run much deeper.

Be interesting to see how he works with a bigger squad. My instinct says it will be a massive help to him, because if players start to drop due to the tough fitness requirements there are other good players to come in.

Also making like for like subs doesn't fuss me. The system is the system. You play it till it works.

It's funny how any point that was a criticism that was used for our previous managers that has come out regarding Poch is immediately disregarded or justified in some way or another at the moment. Just human nature I suppose, will be interesting to see if things are still this way half way through next season.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to it. Think its a good appointment.

Last edited:

Southampton, second only to Stoke, had the fewest injuries in the league last season. Poch is really keen on physical conditioning (as is Hughes).

Back