• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Be interesting to see how he works with a bigger squad. My instinct says it will be a massive help to him, because if players start to drop due to the tough fitness requirements there are other good players to come in.

Also making like for like subs doesn't fuss me. The system is the system. You play it till it works.

I think that it is a mistake to overlook criticism from his previous jobs.

It is possible that he will struggle to adapt to handling a larger squad or he may just prefer using a core of players. I could see people getting on his back about either if they happen with us.

I also think that the like for like sub's thing could be a concern. I do not agree that it is always a good idea to stick to the same blue print.

Part of the role of a manager/head coach is to react to things that happen in the game. If a weakness in our approach is discovered by one club, then you can bet that others will try to hit the same weakness. The answer to this is not more of the same.

One of the issues that we had with AVB was that flaws in his preferred system were found after a few games on last season and he struggled to find a solution to that.

I just think that it is best to go in with your eyes open and be honest about strengths and weaknesses.

It's funny how any point that was a criticism that was used for our previous managers that has come out regarding Poch is immediately disregarded or justified in some way or another at the moment. Just human nature I suppose, will be interesting to see if things are still this way half way through next season.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to it. Think its a good appointment.

I don't think those criticisms are relevant until they effect us (if they ever do).

If a Spurs manager plays the same team week in, week out and we burn out by January he deserves criticism. If a manager does the same and we don't burn out - fine.

If a Spurs manager tries out every combination of players hoping to hit upon the right combination and we fail to play in a coherent manner, he deserves criticism. If a manager changes the team regularly and the team still plays as if they are working under (and buying into) a coherent set of instructions - fine.

Some of the comments about Poch at Southampton are hard to gauge

No plan B and reserve team in cups could simply be a manager that understood he didn't have anyone that could change the game on the bench, and with a small squad and the high tempo style of game he played, couldn't afford to play the first team in cup games (and honestly, despite the Southampton is a guaranteed top 10 revisionist history, his mandate at start of season would be PL survival first).

The problem is, we've still got our same old useless medical team. We need to support Poch in overhauling them, in the way we didn't for AVB.

I would hope that is something that Baldini has been looking at in the last year. It falls more within his remit than the first team coaches too.

How do we actually know our medical team are useless?

Have we had any players, past or present, who have complained about our medical team?

Weren't our club doctors and medical staff universally praised in their reaction and part in saving Fabrice Muamba's life?

Isn't this a medical team who must have had part responsiblity in Ledley King defying medical science to continue his playing career long after it shoudl have ended?

Haven't they used pioneering medical techniques such as blood spinning to return players like Van der Vaart and Gareth Bale from hamstring injuries and other muscle tears quicker than predicted times?

I've just googled our medical team and our Head of Medical Sciences is a guy called Wayne Diesel.

I've looked him up and he has a 1st class degree in sports science from the Uni of Wi****ersrand
He has a PhD in Exercise Physiology
He has 12 years of running private physiotherapy practices in South Africa including founding the Sports Science Institute of South Africa in Cape Town.
He has been Head Physio for the South African National Woman's Gymnastics Team, Men's Hockey Team, Swimming Team, Football and Rugby Teams. He was Head Physio for the South African Team at the All African Games in 1992, Olympic Team in 1996 and Commonwealth Games (1998). He was Head Physio for the S. African Rugby Team during the 1999 Rugby World Cup. He has also been Head Physio for the Provisional Football and Cricket Teams.

He has held the position of President of the South African Transplant Games Association and also Western Province Chairman of the South African Sports Medicine Association.

He arrived in the UK to work in 2002 and worked as Head Physio for Gloucester Rugby Club until becoming Head Physio for Charlton Athletic in 2003. He became our Head Physio in 2007

In addition to his job at Spurs, he is a lecturer on Msc Sports Science & Exercise Medicine courses at UCL and Barts.

Hardly the CV of someone who is useless.

I think this is just another myth that gets rolled out when I don't think we suffer any more injuries than any other sporting institution involved in top level contact sports. Some of our players have had fitness issues in the past but other players have not.

Have we had any players, past or present, who have complained about our medical team?

Weren't our club doctors and medical staff universally praised in their reaction and part in saving Fabrice Muamba's life?

Isn't this a medical team who must have had part responsiblity in Ledley King defying medical science to continue his playing career long after it shoudl have ended?

Haven't they used pioneering medical techniques such as blood spinning to return players like Van der Vaart and Gareth Bale from hamstring injuries and other muscle tears quicker than predicted times?

I've just googled our medical team and our Head of Medical Sciences is a guy called Wayne Diesel.

I've looked him up and he has a 1st class degree in sports science from the Uni of Wi****ersrand
He has 12 years of running private physiotherapy practices in South Africa including founding the Sports Science Institute of South Africa in Cape Town.
He has been Head Physio for the South African National Woman's Gymnastics Team, Men's Hockey Team, Swimming Team, Football and Rugby Teams. He was Head Physio for the South African Team at the All African Games in 1992, Olympic Team in 1996 and Commonwealth Games (1998). He was Head Physio for the S. African Rugby Team during the 1999 Rugby World Cup. He has also been Head Physio for the Provisional Football and Cricket Teams.

He has held the position of President of the South African Transplant Games Association and also Western Province Chairman of the South African Sports Medicine Association.

He arrived in the UK to work in 2002 and worked as Head Physio for Gloucester Rugby Club until becoming Head Physio for Charlton Athletic in 2003. He became our Head Physio in 2007

In addition to his job at Spurs, he is a lecturer on Msc Sports Science & Exercise Medicine courses at UCL and Barts.

I think this is just another myth that gets rolled out when I don't think we suffer any more injuries than any other sporting institution involved in top level contact sports. Some of our players have had fitness issues in the past but other players have not.

Excellent post.

It's absolute nonsense. Every team moans about their medical team.

I mean, come on, of course the physios and medics between the teams discuss approach and methods etc. There's very unlikely to be that much disparity between top level teams with similar resources.

I agree with all of this, except the bit I highlighted...

A7275_zps5a13b735.jpg

I agree with all of this, except the bit I highlighted...

A7275_zps5a13b735.jpg

Do you have the figures for previous seasons? It is difficult to read too much into one seasons data because there will always be outliers and this could be for any number of reasons other than the competence of the medical team.

I don't think those criticisms are relevant until they effect us (if they ever do).

If a Spurs manager plays the same team week in, week out and we burn out by January he deserves criticism. If a manager does the same and we don't burn out - fine.

If a Spurs manager tries out every combination of players hoping to hit upon the right combination and we fail to play in a coherent manner, he deserves criticism. If a manager changes the team regularly and the team still plays as if they are working under (and buying into) a coherent set of instructions - fine.

I agree with all you've said above.

But we will see how many on here are complaining that 'he's too rigid with his system just like AVB was' when we draw 0-0 with a resiliant Stoke in November, or that he 'only plays his favourites like HR' when he picks Lennon (or anyone who's not loved so much on here) over anyone for more than 4 games in a row.

Don't want to put a negative spin on things though, I'm looking forward to next season.

I agree with all you've said above.

But we will see how many on here are complaining that 'he's too rigid with his system just like AVB was' when we draw 0-0 with a resiliant Stoke in November, or that he 'only plays his favourites like HR' when he picks Lennon (or anyone who's not loved so much on here) over anyone for more than 4 games in a row.

I'm sure some will complain - as long as he has some kind of sensible long-term plan, I'll give him time.

Don't want to put a negative spin on things though, I'm looking forward to next season.

I'm always looking forward to next season - that's both the great and the ridiculous thing about being a Spurs fan!

I'm sure some will complain - as long as he has some kind of sensible long-term plan, I'll give him time.

Hopefully the majority feel the same and we can all actually get behind a manager for the first time in quite a while.

I'm always looking forward to next season - that's both the great and the ridiculous thing about being a Spurs fan!

As the saying goes, it is definitely the hope that kills you!

Do you have the figures for previous seasons? It is difficult to read too much into one seasons data because there will always be outliers and this could be for any number of reasons other than the competence of the medical team.

Just for Spurs.

Last season, players were unavailable of selection due to injury 281 times.

In 2012-13 it was 223 times.

And in 2011-12 it was 294 times.

Just for Spurs.

The injury lists for the last 6 seasons were posted fairly recently but I can't think where. Premiership thread perhaps?

Just for Spurs.

I think that the standard stat used is days lost to injury, so a direct comparison can be made between clubs without having to make allowances for the variances in games played.

It would be interesting to see these stats for the Premier League over a three or five year period. I think that it is difficult to draw any strong conclusions on the effectiveness of our medical team on less.

That said, like every element of the club, it should be reviewed regularly and we should investigate ways of improving it. I hope that Baldini has been doing this.

I agree, until we get affected by any of his foibles it's an open book, though I also agree with Milo that it's interesting to take note of previous criticisms…

I, frankly, don't know what to expect.

Back